Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

4th of July parade erupts into chaos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Good.

Comment

Strangely, the media doesn't seem very interested in the suspect. They are all focusing on the shooting itself and seem to treat the suspect's arrest almost as an afterthought. What they do say about him tends to emphasize that the attack was supposedly random and apparently unmotivated. When it comes to the liberal media, what they don't say is sometimes more informative than what they do say.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, Robert “Bobby” E. Crimo III Is NOT a MAGA Guy

https://thelibertydaily.com/no-rober...ot-a-maga-guy/
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

C'monman! Just one look shows he's a right wing white supremacist MAGA-lovin' Trumper
          But that haven't stopped some from finding sooper secret indications he's a right wing white supremacist MAGA-lovin' Trumper. Like how he sits in one photograph. It forms a 4 triangle figure which is supposed to be a neo-Nazi symbol

Yeah. That's more than a bit of a stretch. But there's also the fact that he liked a pro2A post after the Texas shooting. Oops. His father liked it.

Still, it should be noted that we've seen no solid evidence that he was the shooter, just that he was arrested.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The lengthy AP article I just read about his capture was more dedicated to the gun-control narrative.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ch...04/id/1077276/
            Last edited by Ronson; 07-05-2022, 07:44 AM.

Comment

It looks like that actually came from a video he posted himself, under the name "The Awake Rapper" or "Awake the Rapper" and has the symbol spinning in front of him

And the photo of him dressed like Where's Waldo was taken at a pro-Trump rally.
              Last edited by rogue06; 07-05-2022, 08:11 AM. Reason: added other name

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

The lengthy AP article I just read about his capture was more dedicated to the gun-control narrative.

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ch...04/id/1077276/
                That tells me that he doesn't fit the MAGA loving white supremicist profile they were desperately hoping for. Otherwise, that would be the above-the-fold headline across the board.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

It looks like that actually came from a video he posted himself, under the name "The Awake Rapper" or "Awake the Rapper" and has the symbol spinning in front of him

And the photo of him dressed like Where's Waldo was taken at a pro-Trump rally.
                  I've heard speculation that the waldo thing was a take on Jimmy Kimmel's joke that Trump always looks like he's searching for Waldo at his rally's, if that's the case, then him being waldo would be a mock of trump.

But, again, speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That tells me that he doesn't fit the MAGA loving white supremicist profile they were desperately hoping for. Otherwise, that would be the above-the-fold headline across the board.
                    It's really weird.

The very same source that blithely proclaims he is an "avid Trump supporter" will then proceed to inform us how "Awake the Rapper" told people to "stay woke."

Some sources say there are images of him dressed up as an antifa goon while others point to his attending a Trump rally (dressed as Waldo from Where's Waldo), where some note he was never shown holding a sign and was likely there to troll them.

His uncle says he wasn't political and a supposed friend insists he isn't antifa or MAGA but just some isolated stoner who lost his way, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I've heard speculation that the waldo thing was a take on Jimmy Kimmel's joke that Trump always looks like he's searching for Waldo at his rally's, if that's the case, then him being waldo would be a mock of trump.

But, again, speculation.
                      The other side of it has him dressed as Waldo because you are supposed to find the guy who doesn't belong in the crowd.

Apparently his father ran an unsuccessful bid to be mayor in 2019. I'd like to know if he ran as a Republican or Democrat -- not that it would "prove" anything about Crimo III's beliefs.

Comment

Apparently his father ran an unsuccessful bid to be mayor in 2019. I'd like to know if he ran as a Republican or Democrat -- not that it would "prove" anything about Crimo III's beliefs.
                        That's another one of those details the media seems uninterested in, which tells you he didn't run as a Republican.

Comment

The other side of it has him dressed as Waldo because you are supposed to find the guy who doesn't belong in the crowd.

I read some of his lyrics posted somewhere, where he said something about a pending eruption and he was destined for some sort of violence. Nothing specific and nothing political in the lyric. Actually, I'd bet a lot of rapper lyrics say the same thing.

Comment

A lot of confusion regarding the type of rifle the shooter used.

From an hour old story by the New York Times:

"Authorities said they recovered a high-powered rifle at the scene of the shooting, which appeared to match witnesses’ description of events. When the suspect was apprehended, another rifle was found in the car he was driving."

That seems to be the baseline account. That a "high-powered rifle" was used.

Nearly everyone also includes that they were legally purchased as well.

Several sources are identifying the rifle as either an AR-15 or AR-15-like/style rifle.

And one, the Chicago Sun Times, is doing their level best to sew confusion

They have as a headline, Highland Park Fourth of July massacre gun was AR-15-style rifle bought legally in Illinois, authorities say

But Immediately under it:

Robert E. Crimo III bought the gun, officials said Tuesday. They didn’t provide details of where and when the gun was bought or the exact make and model of the ‘high-powered rifle.’

I made a screen capture so if it is changed at a later point

But we aren't done. This is immediately followed by

A “high-powered” AR-15 style semiautomatic rifle used to kill six people and wound dozens during a Fourth of July parade in Highland Park was legally purchased in the Chicago area, authorities said Tuesday.

But didn't you just say they didn't provide details, except that it was a "high-powered rifle." So while that is all they said from there it becomes a "AR-15 style semiautomatic."

And yet again, at the bottom of the story

He had another rifle in the Honda and had pistols in a home where he lived in nearby Highwood, authorities said.

They said the guns were all bought legally in the Chicago area but didn’t identify the makes or models of the weapons or the “different locations” where they were purchased.

Probably should add something here.

Whatever you may think, AR-15s are NOT normally "high-powered" rifles. IIRC, they are prohibited from use in hunting some bigger game animals in some states because they aren't high-powered. When it comes to hunting rifles, the standard round the AR15 fires is actually quite low powered. While a .223 or 5.56x45mm does a great job killing people, it’s barely adequate for making a humane kill on a medium game animal like deer.

This is acknowledged by Slate in a piece arguing that there is no need for any semi-automatic rifles for any reason and pushing for bolt action and shotguns

Its standard .223 caliber ammunition doesn’t offer much stopping power for anything other than small game.

Comment

Yes, the coverage has been... interesting. The media is far more interested in the gun that was used than they are about the suspect or his motives. In fact, it even looks like they are laying the groundwork to call this a random and unmotivated attack, but I'm not buying it. You don't do something like this without a motive. He planned it out well enough to dress in women's clothes so that he could blend in with the crowd as they fled the area.
                              Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-05-2022, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Apparently he dressed up in women's clothing in order to case out where to do the shooting from, in hopes he would not be recognized. It also appears that after he was done shooting, he left the rifle, went down to the street, and just blended in with the panicking crowd to get away.

Comment