Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Manchin, Sinema Dash Biden Hopes for Filibuster Change on Abortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    That certainly seems to describe what the conservative posters do constantly on this forum.
    So go away. Buhbye. Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    If abortion is healthcare then we can also abort the mother. Nothing in the rule book says we can't just take the baby and get rid of her.

Utilitarianism would be fun if it weren't so terrifying.
    I'm not sure what connection you see to utilitarianism?

Although it reminds me of a discussion I had with a friend recently. I argued:

Modern democratic governments tend to base their laws on three general things:
    1. Trying to ensure everyone has a life worth living / improving the minimum standard of life for everyone, which they do through human rights, minimum wage, providing education and healthcare, unemployment benefits etc (ensuring "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness")
    2. Trying to maximize wellbeing, i.e. the greatest good for the greatest possible number
    3. Trying to be democratically popular

Abortion is an edge case because it's not necessarily obvious whether the fetus should or shouldn't count as an entity that gets those rights and gets its wellbeing maximized or not, and #3 tends to mean that since fetuses don't vote they don't get those rights.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It's downright Biblical - calling good evil, and evil good....
    That certainly seems to describe what the conservative posters do constantly on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    If abortion is healthcare then we can also abort the mother. Nothing in the rule book says we can't just take the baby and get rid of her.

Utilitarianism would be fun if it weren't so terrifying.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It does trigger an eye roll response.

What's next? "Euthanasia is Health Care"? "Eugenics is Health Care"?
    It's downright Biblical - calling good evil, and evil good....

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

This, alone, reveals what a bunch of pathetic pathological liars the loonie lefties are.

And how incredibly gullible anybody is who buys into this crap.
    It does trigger an eye roll response.

What's next? "Euthanasia is Health Care"? "Eugenics is Health Care"?

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Seriously, if you don't want to have a baby, you have options. Keep your pants up is the best one. Get a hysterotomy is another, albeit extreme. Or just show up once a month for your danged Depo.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    This, alone, reveals what a bunch of pathetic pathological liars the loonie lefties are.

And how incredibly gullible anybody is who buys into this crap.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    The decision has been a topic of interest in many allied countries, and led to protests against the ruling and in favor of looser abortion laws.

e.g. Today: Thousands descend on Sydney [and] Melbourne in protest of US abortion ruling.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fef9f275e-17c2-4a0d-b616-b0db1b2463c6.jpg

Yesterday in New Zealand: Angry outpour at Roe v Wade Solidarity Protest in Wellington

1656661244578.jpg?format=pjpg&optimize=medium.jpg

It's having political fallout here because politicians are having to go on the record as to what the views of themselves and their parties on abortion are, and those giving answers supporting the US decision are paying a political price for it.

In the context of the international response to the ruling, it's appropriate for Joe Biden to speak to the ruling at a meeting of his allies like NATO, even if it's just to say "Sorry about all the protests in your countries this has triggered. I'm sure you already know the Republicans are insane because you watched the Trump and Bush administrations with popcorn. And you know that I'm too doddering and feckless to overrule them."
    Perhaps, because you're so incredibly intelligent and so terribly interested in the affairs of other countries, you might explain to them that the SCOTUS ruling did not outlaw abortion.

IF Joe were honest, and IF he had a brain and IF he needed to address it at all, he could simply say "What SCOTUS did was to move this decision where it belongs constitutionally - to the States and the people". He's not that smart, and he's certainly not that honest.

The fact that angry people are pitching fits in other parts of the world is their problem, not ours.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    The decision has been a topic of interest in many allied countries, and led to protests against the ruling and in favor of looser abortion laws.

e.g. Today: Thousands descend on Sydney [and] Melbourne in protest of US abortion ruling.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fef9f275e-17c2-4a0d-b616-b0db1b2463c6.jpg

Yesterday in New Zealand: Angry outpour at Roe v Wade Solidarity Protest in Wellington

It's having political fallout here because politicians are having to go on the record as to what the views of themselves and their parties on abortion are, and those giving answers supporting the US decision are paying a political price for it.

In the context of the international response to the ruling, it's appropriate for Joe Biden to speak to the ruling at a meeting of his allies like NATO, even if it's just to say "Sorry about all the protests in your countries this has triggered. I'm sure you already know the Republicans are insane because you watched the Trump and Bush administrations with popcorn. And you know that I'm too doddering and feckless to overrule them."
    You are right. We should apologize to those other countries because their people exercised their right to free speech. Can't have that.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It is as if he is now adding the SCOTUS decision overturning Roe to his list of things to blame for inflation.

He has come up with almost as many other people to blame as Hillary did when she lost in 2016.
    The only difference is, I think, that Hillary knew she was doing it.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I believe the whining of protesters in Oz and Kiwiland will effect us almost as much as the law effects them.

It is an unwritten policy for our leaders to not go to foreign soil to vent their spleen. The Democrats, naturally, have been doing it at least since George W., so the shock of it has worn off.

And what they saw was an angry old man mumbling and muttering as he did everything you expect from an old coot except yell "GIT OFF OF MY LAWN!" IOW, Ukraine happened because the U.S. is led by a decrepit senile old man -- but at least he doesn't Tweet bad things.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

You've seen Biden - he could have been asked "Do you think Russia will press beyond Ukraine" and Biden could go off on a "our economy is the strongest in the world, and inflation is lower than any other country in the universe, and the Supreme Court is a corrupt organization that needs to...."

I actually saw the Presser wasn't paying much attention, so I don't recall how it actually evolved.

In response to a question asking him about what he would tell people, including other world leaders who think America is “going in the wrong direction,” Biden laid hefty blame on the Supreme Court’s monumental decision.

In a video – posted to Twitter by NewsBusters managing editor Curtis Houck – Biden responded, stating, “The one thing that has been destabilizing is the outrageous behavior of the Supreme Court of the United States in overruling not only Roe v. Wade, but essentially challenging the right to privacy.”

“We’ve been a leader in the world in terms of personal rights and privacy rights, and it is a mistake in my view for the Supreme Court to do what it did,” he declared.

Actually, here's the question, and Biden's bird-brained response, filled with demonstrably false claims...

It is as if he is now adding the SCOTUS decision overturning Roe to his list of things to blame for inflation.

He has come up with almost as many other people to blame as Hillary did when she lost in 2016.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I'm wondering why Mr. Braindead feels compelled to spout this off at a NATO conference, as if it's their business what we do in our own country.

Last edited by Starlight; 07-03-2022, 01:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post

Win back the base in Europe?
    This isn't quite as crazy as it should be - but it's a decade or more out of date. His base used to be more Eurocentric.

At the moment it's just a floundering admin taking advantage of any cameras it can get in front of that don't involve any pesky questions.

Leave a comment: