Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Manchin, Sinema Dash Biden Hopes for Filibuster Change on Abortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchin, Sinema Dash Biden Hopes for Filibuster Change on Abortion

President Joe Biden on Thursday proposed that U.S. senators remove a legislative roadblock to restoring abortion rights that were taken away by the Supreme Court last week, a suggestion that was shot down by aides to key Democrat lawmakers.

Biden's proposal to temporarily lift the Senate "filibuster" was rejected by aides to Sens. Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin.

Biden told a news conference at a NATO conference in Madrid that "we have to" pass laws making abortion a right in all 50 U.S. states.

"If the filibuster gets in the way - it's like voting rights - it should be we provide an exception for this," said Biden, a Democrat. Without sufficient votes in Congress to suspend the legislative filibuster, Biden's statement is more of a gesture than a policy plan.

A spokesman for Manchin and an aide to Sinema, who both have opposed suspending the filibuster in the past, told Reuters Thursday that their respective positions had not changed.

Biden would very likely need their votes for Congress to sidestep the filibuster and pass a law to protect the federal right to abortion.

White House officials did not immediately offer any more details on what the president's strategy would be, or who in the administration would make it a reality.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

President Joe Biden on Thursday proposed that U.S. senators remove a legislative roadblock to restoring abortion rights that were taken away by the Supreme Court last week, a suggestion that was shot down by aides to key Democrat lawmakers.

Biden's proposal to temporarily lift the Senate "filibuster" was rejected by aides to Sens. Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin.

Biden told a news conference at a NATO conference in Madrid that "we have to" pass laws making abortion a right in all 50 U.S. states.

"If the filibuster gets in the way - it's like voting rights - it should be we provide an exception for this," said Biden, a Democrat. Without sufficient votes in Congress to suspend the legislative filibuster, Biden's statement is more of a gesture than a policy plan.

A spokesman for Manchin and an aide to Sinema, who both have opposed suspending the filibuster in the past, told Reuters Thursday that their respective positions had not changed.

Biden would very likely need their votes for Congress to sidestep the filibuster and pass a law to protect the federal right to abortion.

White House officials did not immediately offer any more details on what the president's strategy would be, or who in the administration would make it a reality.
    I'm wondering why Mr. Braindead feels compelled to spout this off at a NATO conference, as if it's their business what we do in our own country.

And don't a lot of EU countries have even stricter abortion laws than we do, including Germany?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

I'm wondering why Mr. Braindead feels compelled to spout this off at a NATO conference, as if it's their business what we do in our own country.

And don't a lot of EU countries have even stricter abortion laws than we do, including Germany?
      It's all part of globalism.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It's all part of globalism.
        It's odd being that WEF globalists, other than overpopulation fearmongering they used to shove down our throats (though that seems to have waned ever since new data debunked that view), abortion never seemed to be a big part of their agenda. Unless, of course, abortion is part of population control. Either that, or they see it as a device for sowing division and discord in western nation states.

Comment

Did you see his press conference?

It was Putin! Putin! Putin! when asked about inflation, continuing to lie about how our rate of inflation is lower than everyone else's (quite the opposite) all of which kept getting sidetracked into abortion.

It was like listening to Grandpa getting all worked up about the Kaiser.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Mr PoopyPants is trying SO HARD to be relevant. But it's disgusting that he would march around on stage on foreign soil attacking our own government.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, but he may not be lying. He may simply be reading the lies handed to him on his "say this" note cards and he's too 'out of it' to even do his own fact checking. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually believed all that horsiepoo was true.

Comment

Biden defended the filibuster back when the Republicans brought up getting rid of it.

Comment

It's odd being that WEF globalists, other than overpopulation fearmongering they used to shove down our throats (though that seems to have waned ever since new data debunked that view), abortion never seemed to be a big part of their agenda. Unless, of course, abortion is part of population control. Either that, or they see it as a device for sowing division and discord in western nation states.
                  I'm not saying that abortion is necessarily of concern to globalists, simply commenting on why Joe would think to bring up the Supreme Court decision at an international conference when it is otherwise of no relevance to other countries.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I'm not saying that abortion is necessarily of concern to globalists, simply commenting on why Joe would think to bring up the Supreme Court decision at an international conference when it is otherwise of no relevance to other countries.
                    I agree with you, it's odd. I was trying to mull over some reasons why he did that.

Comment

I agree with you, it's odd. I was trying to mull over some reasons why he did that.
                      I think he's just desperate to win back the base, so he's hammering the abortion thing -- what else has he got?

Comment

Mr PoopyPants is trying SO HARD to be relevant. But it's disgusting that he would march around on stage on foreign soil attacking our own government.
                        Especially given how he condemned Trump for attacking the judicial system.

At least Trump didn't go to another country to whine.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think he's just desperate to win back the base, so he's hammering the abortion thing -- what else has he got?
                          Reminding everyone that he thinks we are in the midst of the greatest "economic recovery America has ever experienced."

Or maybe, how he "outperformed" as president his first year.

Or maybe how the humiliating Afghan bugout was "an outstanding success."

LET'S GO BRANDON!

Comment

Win back the base in Europe?

Comment

Win back the base in Europe?
                              You are asking the kinds of questions one would ask of a cogent human being, my friend.

I think he's just trying so hard to get somebody to approve of him, and he's pretty well narrowed that down to the extreme loony left.

Heck, he's even lost Starlight!

Comment