Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court: Are You Tired Of Winning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H_A's argument seems to just be "The ends justify the means" - who cares if what the EPA is doing is illegal? We need to let them do it anyway or we are all doomed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      H_A's argument seems to just be "The ends justify the means" - who cares if what the EPA is doing is illegal? We need to let them do it anyway or we are all doomed!!!
      I think most of us are aware of the lobbying power of various sectors within the US economy. As for being "doomed", it is becoming increasingly evident that positive climate feedback is occurring and that is going to have a significant impact on the lives of future generations of human beings.

Even if we "turned everything off right now" we cannot undue the damage we have already done. However, that does not presuppose we should carry on like the Ship of Fools. We should be seriously attempting to reduce emissions and our impact on the planet.

Anyone here who has grandchildren [and possibly even great grandchildren] should show some concern for their future and try to imagine what the world might be like for them when they reach their later years and possibly have children of their own.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I think most of us are aware of the lobbying power of various sectors within the US economy. As for being "doomed", it is becoming increasingly evident that positive climate feedback is occurring and that is going to have a significant impact on the lives of future generations of human beings.

Even if we "turned everything off right now" we cannot undue the damage we have already done. However, that does not presuppose we should carry on like the Ship of Fools. We should be seriously attempting to reduce emissions and our impact on the planet.

Anyone here who has grandchildren [and possibly even great grandchildren] should show some concern for their future and try to imagine what the world might be like for them when they reach their later years and possibly have children of their own.
        Nobody is advocating for not working on global warming. But you seem to be advocating letting the EPA do things illegally because that way it gets done rather than doing things the right way and legally. That is "the ends justifies the means" thinking.
        Also, how about you work on getting China and other such countries to stop contributing to global warming before you act like the USA is responsible for it all?

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          In some areas, yes. I do not think anyone is suggesting that the entire region that now is regarded as the US southwest was continually and regularly in flames.
          145 million acres annually, largely in the southwest and midwest.

Like, the Seqoias literally evolved so their seeds only open dueing the high temps of a forest fire and then start sprouting.
          We would both need to find scientific papers that have recorded the evidence of all forest fires across what is now considered to be the entire US southwest over the past 600 years.
          hun, I'm stating scientific fact. You made a false claim and are trying to avoid just saying you were wrong.
          The reality is that prolonged drought and the risk of serious fires are not going to decrease as climate change continues.

That is another issue.
          No it isn't another issue. It is THE primary issue causing the current fires.

Comment

Nobody is advocating for not working on global warming. But you seem to be advocating letting the EPA do things illegally because that way it gets done rather than doing things the right way and legally. That is "the ends justifies the means" thinking.
            Also, how about you work on getting China and other such countries to stop contributing to global warming before you act like the USA is responsible for it all?
            Same with abortion --- the excuse "we've always done it this way" (or for the past 50 years) doesn't make it right.
            We ended slavery, and how long had we done that?
            We ended the "black" and "white" restrooms --- how long had we done that?

Just because we've done something wrong "for a long time" is a really poor justification for continuing to do it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Same with abortion --- the excuse "we've always done it this way" (or for the past 50 years) doesn't make it right.
              We ended slavery, and how long had we done that?
              We ended the "black" and "white" restrooms --- how long had we done that?

Just because we've done something wrong "for a long time" is a really poor justification for continuing to do it.
              For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

What happened to the right to keep schools and restaurants segregated

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                145 million acres annually, largely in the southwest and midwest.

Like, the Seqoias literally evolved so their seeds only open dueing the high temps of a forest fire and then start sprouting.
                hun, I'm stating scientific fact. You made a false claim and are trying to avoid just saying you were wrong.

No it isn't another issue. It is THE primary issue causing the current fires.
                To be fair to Hypatia_Alexandria ,I'm sure wrapping her head around the idea of 145 million acres burning yearly in the past is hard for her, what with Germany not even containing that many acres. But here in the US we have several billion acres of land so 145 million isn't all that huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

To be fair to Hypatia_Alexandria ,I'm sure wrapping her head around the idea of 145 million acres burning yearly in the past is hard for her, what with Germany not even containing that many acres. But here in the US we have several billion acres of land so 145 million isn't all that huge.
                  I had to check that and, yup. German consists of 88.3616 million acres. Roughly 60% the size.

Hey, Hypatia_Alexandria,

Take a look at the percentage of the country covered in forestland back from the fin de siècle up through the roaring twenties and compare that to now. Get back to me with what you discover

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    For the sarcastically impaired the following is said in jest

What happened to the right to keep schools and restaurants segregated

SCOTUS snuffed it out by undoing a previous ruling. What CADS!!!!
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think that's the belief of a lot of the environmental wackos.

Comment

I had to check that and, yup. German consists of 88.3616 million acres. Roughly 60% the size.

Hey, Hypatia_Alexandria,

Take a look at the percentage of the country covered in forestland back from the fin de siècle up through the roaring twenties and compare that to now. Get back to me with what you discover
                        Average tree produces 200 lb of oxygen per year. Average car produces 10141 lb of carbon dioxide per year.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Average tree produces 200 lb of oxygen per year. Average car produces 10141 lb of carbon dioxide per year.
                          The trees are simply providing oxygen for us to fatten us up and keep us alive until we are finally put into the ground as plant food for them. It's a plot!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The trees are simply providing oxygen for us to fatten us up and keep us alive until we are finally put into the ground as plant food for them. It's a plot!
                            I thought the daisies had cornered the market for that plot.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

And the cow didn't jump over the moon.

Comment

And the cow didn't jump over the moon.
                                No, she just vented greenhouse gases to atmosphere.

Comment