Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Biden to support ending filibuster to protect abortion access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biden to support ending filibuster to protect abortion access

If they do this they will rue the day when Republicans get back into power...

Biden to support ending filibuster to protect abortion access

President Biden said he would support Congress ending the filibuster to pass legislation protecting a national right to abortion on Thursday.

Biden made the comments in response to questions from reporters during a press conference in Spain. Biden originally supported the filibuster when he entered office.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...bortion-access
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    If they do this they will rue the day when Republicans get back into power...

[B]
    They have shown a marked inability to think that far ahead.

Their changing the rules in the Senate is largely why their is a conservative majority in the SCOTUS.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Their changing the rules in the Senate is largely why their is a conservative majority in the SCOTUS.
      Exactly...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

How can they pass a federal law on abortion if the supreme court already said that it would be unconstitutional? The feds have no basis for such a law.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          How can they pass a federal law on abortion if the supreme court already said that it would be unconstitutional? The feds have no basis for such a law.
          Actually no, I think they could pass such a law.

Comment

It would be interesting to see which side the states take and how that would play out. Civil war anyone?

Comment

As I read it, the court has decided that the constitution has nothing to say about abortion. They don't seem to have said that such a law would be in violation of the constitution.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

What was ruled unconstitutional was that a "right to abortion" was guaranteed in the Constitution. It was not, so it got kicked back to the states.
                The feds would have to come up with another.... well, here again, they'd actually have to come up with reasons rather than "It's the law of the land!"

AND, to get it to pass, they'd have to come up with a law that would be acceptable by the extreme leftist babykillers and the "moderate" liberals who only want to kill first term babies.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

What was ruled unconstitutional was that a "right to abortion" was guaranteed in the Constitution. It was not, so it got kicked back to the states.
                  The feds would have to come up with another.... well, here again, they'd actually have to come up with reasons rather than "It's the law of the land!"

AND, to get it to pass, they'd have to come up with a law that would be acceptable by the extreme leftist babykillers and the "moderate" liberals who only want to kill first term babies.
                  Again as I understand it, the Federal Govt could introduce a law, but what would the court decide if it did. Would that law actually abrogate state rights?
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    Again as I understand it, the Federal Govt could introduce a law, but what would the court decide if it did. Would that law actually abrogate state rights?
                    Agreed, brother, but that won't stop the libs from trying. The law would have to be based on something other than "a right guaranteed in the constitution". Like I said, they'd have to come up with actual reason and logic why it should be allowable to kill another human being. I think the best they would be able to come up with was that it was a financial burden on the mother, or a terrible inconvenience on her.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Agreed, brother, but that won't stop the libs from trying. The law would have to be based on something other than "a right guaranteed in the constitution". Like I said, they'd have to come up with actual reason and logic why it should be allowable to kill another human being. I think the best they would be able to come up with was that it was a financial burden on the mother, or a terrible inconvenience on her.
                      They would probably use the commerce clause in some twisted way like they did with parts of the 1964 Civil Rights Act...

Comment

It's over. Just waiting for the fat lady to start singing

Biden's call for a filibuster carveout for abortion rights unlikely to gain traction because Manchin and Sinema oppose it

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Actually no, I think they could pass such a law.
                          And then the supreme court would invalidate it as unconstitutional.

Comment

But since the Dems have called the supreme court illegitimate and that we should just ignore their ruling, if there were two contrary laws declared by federal government, how do you think that would go down on state level?

Comment

Only if they pursue the same line of argument, but there are others. Like the one RBG had favored.

Comment