Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rasmussen Poll: 50 Percent Support SCOTUS Abortion Ruling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Not specifically; I just mean embracing namecalling and ad hominem attacks, that sort of thing. I do think that the extent to which conservatives are positively obsessed with minimizing 1/6 is an issue, though.
    Is pointing out that it wasn't even a fraction as bad as what we saw in cities throughout America for months on end, and the same folks who wring their hands and clutch at pearls over J6, repeatedly tell us that it was "mostly peaceful," minimizing it? Or just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy over the whole thing?

Or are you talking about those who seek to characterize it as just some energetic tourists who got out-of-hand, which is almost as bad as those "mostly peaceful" claims?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Is pointing out that it wasn't even a fraction as bad as what we saw in cities throughout America for months on end, and the same folks who wring their hands and clutch at pearls over J6, repeatedly tell us that it was "mostly peaceful," minimizing it? Or just pointing out the blatant hypocrisy over the whole thing?

Or are you talking about those who seek to characterize it as just some energetic tourists who got out-of-hand, which is almost as bad as those "mostly peaceful" claims?
      I think he's talking about the ones who claim that Trump wasn't really trying to overturn what he knew was a free and fair election.

Comment

Interestingly, old Joe has higher approval ratings according to Rasmussen as well as Fox than nearly any other pollsters.
        No, they are in the middle of the pack right now. Not that there is any reason for them to try to make his approval rating look lower than it is.

Comment

Polls still make me laugh.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

A mix. To me, what happened in the summer of 2020 is irrelevant to how it should be viewed so that line of thinking is no more than a tu Quoque. My main concern is the denial of what seems to me to be obvious, which is that it was an attempt to disrupt the power transfer procedures. Which probably is close to the second paragraph.

It also sits poorly with me that this is what has led to Liz Cheney being persona non grata within the party, yet the party has tolerated openly pro choice officials for years.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

A mix. To me, what happened in the summer of 2020 is irrelevant to how it should be viewed so that line of thinking is no more than a tu Quoque. My main concern is the denial of what seems to me to be obvious, which is that it was an attempt to disrupt the power transfer procedures. Which probably is close to the second paragraph.

It also sits poorly with me that this is what has led to Liz Cheney being persona non grata within the party, yet the party has tolerated openly pro choice officials for years.
              So, that last line, second phrase - you're saying the Republicans are more tolerant than the Democrats?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, that last line, second phrase - you're saying the Republicans are more tolerant than the Democrats?
                On the specific issue of abortion, yes. (But I don't think that's a good thing.)

Dan Lipinski got primaried only because he's pro-life, and Democrats from all around the country pitched in.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Republicans have had a pro-abortion wing since always and has never had the strong social conservative movement in the platform. It's more complex than the old social versus fiscal now but it's still a similar dynamic. So as much as I abhor it, that's not really a hypocrisy.

Cheney backstabbed the party - that probably has more to do with it than not supporting Trump.
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Modern polling is pretty much worthless no matter who does it right now. You cannot get reliable results using weighted polls on an volatile electorate. I suspect Rasmussen is getting slightly low numbers just from their conservative weighting. And only five days after the fact, with media in full cry, It's meaningless even if the numbers were good - and I doubt they are.

No, that's not a dig against Rasmussen - they're a pretty decent polling group. Pew and Gallup are better and they're getting wonky results, too.

All the big protests are in Democrat strongholds and with frankly low turn out. The few exceptions are the loyal opposition types that show up with their posters and hope someone notices the three of them. THAT tells me this is a loser for Democrats. It won't gain them support. It makes them look like racists (seriously, Alito wrote the decision, not Thomas, but Thomas is the one they are directing all their ire at). It's a BIG reminder of the BLM nonsense and all the fallout from that.

And no one is watching CNN anyway.

Unless gas drops under $2 and Ukraine defeats Russia by October, the Democrats are toast.

I think unicorn droppings might help - and be easier to come by.

I'm nowhere near as optimistic about the Democrats as the polling is - I'll be amazed if they are still a functional party in January.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

Cheney backstabbed the party - that probably has more to do with it than not supporting Trump.
                      I fail to see how. She's trying to get an accurate accounting of what happened that day. If that's "backstabbing", then backstabbing is a virtue. Country before party.
                      Last edited by KingsGambit; 06-29-2022, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I fail to see how. She's trying to get an accurate accounting of what happened that day. If that's "backstabbing", then backstabbing is a virtue. Country before party.
                        Only that's simply not true. She's not trying to get an accurate accounting of what happened, because if she was, she'd ask questions like why the cops opened the doors and let protesters inside (there's video evidence of this), how the main Columbus Doors opened if it was impossible to open them from the outside, why there were feds on the ground that day and why they initially lied about it, and why adequate security was turned down just before the riot by Pelosi and those in charge when they had advance warning about potential trouble. There's a reason why Pelosi picked her and rejected other Reps that would have asked those questions and probed those issues.

Comment

I would make pro-choicers unwelcome. I'm not a fan of the "big tent" approach. Too many critters leaving too much manure.

But I'm much more eager to dispense with Liz. The J6 smearings are a travesty, and are linked with the Merritless Garland abuse of the DOJ. They are collectively behaving in a far more fascist and destructive way than Bad Orange Man ever did.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

I fail to see how. She's trying to get an accurate accounting of what happened that day.
                            Are you retarded or stupid?

We know it's not a "trial," but I'm fairly certain they have referred to the hearings as "quasi-judicial," and they've had a goal of DOJ referrals. If they really wanted to get at the truth, which is supposedly the goal of "trials," they would have members appointed by GOP leadership, in numbers comparable to the number of Dem appointees, would allow cross-examination, would allow presentation of exculpatory evidence, etc.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I would make pro-choicers unwelcome. I'm not a fan of the "big tent" approach. Too many critters leaving too much manure.

But I'm much more eager to dispense with Liz. The J6 smearings are a travesty, and are linked with the Merritless Garland abuse of the DOJ. They are collectively behaving in a far more fascist and destructive way than Bad Orange Man ever did.
                              It just so happens, however, that the media approves of their shenanigans, and was doing everything possible to get rid of OMB.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I really wish that were true, KG. Everything she is doing involves only prosecutorial stuff - absolutely no exculpatory evidence or testimony, and the video clips are highly edited to show only one side of the story. She's not trying to get "an accurate accounting" - she's prosecuting Trump.

Comment