Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Rasmussen Poll: 50 Percent Support SCOTUS Abortion Ruling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rasmussen Poll: 50 Percent Support SCOTUS Abortion Ruling

    Rasmussen Poll: 50 Percent Support SCOTUS Abortion Ruling

    A new poll Tuesday by Rasmussen Reports finds that half of the country approves of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision last week to overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and send the issue of abortion back to the states.

    The poll, released Tuesday, found that 50% of the people approve of the court's decision last week to overturn the federal right to abortion granted under the almost 50-year-old Roe v. Wade decision, and send the issue back to the individual states to decide, including 38% who "strongly approve" of the court's ruling.

    Just under half — 45% — of those surveyed disapproved of the decision, including 38% who "strongly disapproved," according to the poll.

    The court issued its 6-3 opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health last Friday that overturned the Roe decision and 1992's Casey case that determined that a woman seeking an abortion could be required to give her "informed consent" before the procedure, saying that abortion is not a right granted in the Constitution, and that federal government "has no authority" in the matter, which should be regulated by the states.

    "We do not pretend to know how our political system or society will respond to today's decision overruling Roe and Casey," Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the majority. "And even if we could foresee what will happen, we would have no authority to let that knowledge influence our decision.

    "We can only do our job, which is to interpret the law, apply longstanding principles of stare decisis, and decide this case accordingly. We therefore hold that the Constitution does not confer a right to abortion. Roeand Caseymust be overruled, and the authority to regulate abortion must be returned to the people and their elected representatives."

    The Rasmussen poll found that the decision had 75% support from republicans, compared to 71% of Democrats disapproving the ruling.

    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Rasmussen Poll: 50 Percent Support SCOTUS Abortion Ruling

    A new poll Tuesday by Rasmussen Reports finds that half of the country approves of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision last week to overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and send the issue of abortion back to the states.

    The poll, released Tuesday, found that 50% of the people approve of the court's decision last week to overturn the federal right to abortion granted under the almost 50-year-old Roe v. Wade decision, and send the issue back to the individual states to decide, including 38% who "strongly approve" of the court's ruling.

    Just under half — 45% — of those surveyed disapproved of the decision, including 38% who "strongly disapproved," according to the poll.

    The court issued its 6-3 opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health last Friday that overturned the Roe decision and 1992's Casey case that determined that a woman seeking an abortion could be required to give her "informed consent" before the procedure, saying that abortion is not a right granted in the Constitution, and that federal government "has no authority" in the matter, which should be regulated by the states.

    "We do not pretend to know how our political system or society will respond to today's decision overruling Roe and Casey," Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the majority. "And even if we could foresee what will happen, we would have no authority to let that knowledge influence our decision.

    "We can only do our job, which is to interpret the law, apply longstanding principles of stare decisis, and decide this case accordingly. We therefore hold that the Constitution does not confer a right to abortion. Roeand Caseymust be overruled, and the authority to regulate abortion must be returned to the people and their elected representatives."

    The Rasmussen poll found that the decision had 75% support from republicans, compared to 71% of Democrats disapproving the ruling.
    Maybe not the big issue the Democrats thought.

    I mean it will help to fire up the base, which they really need, but outside that, it looks to be very limited.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • #3
      From the favourite reference work of rogue06 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rasmussen_Reports. My emphasis.


      Rasmussen is an American conservative polling company founded in 2003.[5][6] The company engages in political commentary and the collection, publication, and distribution of public opinion polling information. Rasmussen Reports conducts nightly tracking, at national and state levels, of elections, politics, current events, consumer confidence, business topics, and the United States president's job approval ratings.

      For the 2020 United States presidential election, Rasmussen Reports' final White House Watch survey of likely U.S. voters showed Democrat Joe Biden with a 1% lead over Republican Donald Trump, stating that "President Trump and Democrat Joe Biden are in a near tie."[7] Ultimately, Biden won the election by 4.5 percentage points. After Trump lost the election, he and his allies made false and disproven claims of fraud and attempted to overturn the results, with Rasmussen itself suggesting that Vice President Mike Pence should overturn the election results[8][9]


      And in that extract reference 8 quotes The Wrap: https://www.thewrap.com/rasmussen-in...ectoral-votes/

      Right-leaning polling outfit Rasmussen invoked Soviet leader Joseph Stalin in a Sunday night tweet thread about the possibility that Vice President Mike Pence could toss out electoral votes from at least six swing states, handing the presidency back to Donald Trump for a second term.

      “Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything. – Stalin,” began the first tweet of the thread. “Come January 6, 2021, Vice President Mike Pence will be presented with the sealed certificates containing the ballots of the presidential electors.”

      The thread went on, “At that moment, the presidency will be in his hands. And there is nothing stopping Pence, under the (plenary and unappealable) authority vested in him as President of the Senate, from declining to open and count the certificates from the six disputed states. If they are (as more than 70% of Republicans believe) certificates from non-electors appointed via voter fraud, why should he open & count them? If the votes of all 7 contested states are registered as zero, President Trump will have 232 votes, Joe Biden will have 222.”


      And reference 9 quotes The Hill: https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...g-us-election/



      Republican-leaning pollster Rasmussen invoked a quote attributed to Soviet leader Joseph Stalin in a Twitter thread Sunday suggesting Vice President Pence could attempt to overturn the results of the presidential election.

      “Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything. – Stalin,” the pollster tweeted, before going on to outline a scenario in which Pence refuses to certify the results in swing states.
      At that moment, the Presidency will be in his hands.

      And there is nothing stopping Pence, under the (plenary and unappealable) authority vested in him as President of the Senate, from declining to open and count the certificates from the six disputed states.

      2/4

      — Rasmussen Reports (@Rasmussen_Poll) December 27, 2020
      Per the 12th Amendment: “[T]he votes shall then be counted[.] … The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President[.]”

      And more can be read from Rasmussen's twitter account for 27 December 2020.





      :
      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 06-28-2022, 05:23 PM.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

      Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Rasmussen Poll: 50 Percent Support SCOTUS Abortion Ruling

        A new poll Tuesday by Rasmussen Reports finds that half of the country approves of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision last week to overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and send the issue of abortion back to the states.

        The poll, released Tuesday, found that 50% of the people approve of the court's decision last week to overturn the federal right to abortion granted under the almost 50-year-old Roe v. Wade decision, and send the issue back to the individual states to decide, including 38% who "strongly approve" of the court's ruling.

        Just under half — 45% — of those surveyed disapproved of the decision, including 38% who "strongly disapproved," according to the poll.

        The court issued its 6-3 opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health last Friday that overturned the Roe decision and 1992's Casey case that determined that a woman seeking an abortion could be required to give her "informed consent" before the procedure, saying that abortion is not a right granted in the Constitution, and that federal government "has no authority" in the matter, which should be regulated by the states.

        "We do not pretend to know how our political system or society will respond to today's decision overruling Roe and Casey," Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the majority. "And even if we could foresee what will happen, we would have no authority to let that knowledge influence our decision.

        "We can only do our job, which is to interpret the law, apply longstanding principles of stare decisis, and decide this case accordingly. We therefore hold that the Constitution does not confer a right to abortion. Roeand Caseymust be overruled, and the authority to regulate abortion must be returned to the people and their elected representatives."

        The Rasmussen poll found that the decision had 75% support from republicans, compared to 71% of Democrats disapproving the ruling.
        THat's actually really interesting, I expected more disapproval. Maybe there might just be some hope for a red wave (if Republicans play it right and don't get complacent) this Fall after all.
        "So when you actually get the virus, you're going to start producing antibodies against multiple pieces of the virus. So, your antibodies are probably better at that point than the vaccination."
        - Pfizer Scientist Chris Croce

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Maybe not the big issue the Democrats thought.

          I mean it will help to fire up the base, which they really need, but outside that, it looks to be very limited.
          And that's the point --- I'm trying to find anything that supports the hope that Democrats will find this one issue big enough to offset all of the incredible bad news for them, particularly in the last few weeks, and the approval of Biden continuing to drop like a rock.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

          Comment


          • #6
            I suspect that those who disapprove really disapprove, and the approval may not be as strong. As a net, I think this is inevitably going to be a plus for the Democrats (especially with Clarence Thomas having to threaten birth control and gay marriage as well; the ads write themselves). Some pro-lifers may think they already won and won't see the need to rush out.

            This is something worth absorbing the political capital hit on, and the sorry state of the economy provides a best case scenario for that.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              I suspect that those who disapprove really disapprove, and the approval may not be as strong. As a net, I think this is inevitably going to be a plus for the Democrats (especially with Clarence Thomas having to threaten gay marriage as well; the ads write themselves). This is something worth absorbing the political capital hit on, and the sorry state of the economy provides a best case scenario for that.
              And, we need to keep in mind that the election is still "an eternity away" (in terms of politics) and the Dems may well be squandering their "issue" by all the angry hateful rhetoric, rioting, attacks on SCOTUS...... I know it's only anecdotal, but one of my most liberal friends who was very pro-abortion admitted he's very ashamed of the way his party is handling this.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                And, we need to keep in mind that the election is still "an eternity away" (in terms of politics) and the Dems may well be squandering their "issue" by all the angry hateful rhetoric, rioting, attacks on SCOTUS...... I know it's only anecdotal, but one of my most liberal friends who was very pro-abortion admitted he's very ashamed of the way his party is handling this.
                I don't think that'll have a big effect. The party that ran with Trump just doesn't have any moral upper hand to condemn hateful rhetoric right now, and everybody knows it. (This isn't meant to be a cheap attack on Trump, but just an acknowledgement that those tactics were sort of embraced.)
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

                  I don't think that'll have a big effect. The party that ran with Trump just doesn't have any moral upper hand to condemn hateful rhetoric right now, and everybody knows it. (This isn't meant to be a cheap attack on Trump, but just an acknowledgement that those tactics were sort of embraced.)
                  If you're referring to "the insurrection" on 1/6, I doubt most Americans would weigh that against leftist violence on innocent people, especially considering the approval rating of those that were targeted in the attack on 1/6, and especially considering the attackers were anti-Biden who's approval rating is also in the gutter.
                  "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by seanD View Post

                    If you're referring to "the insurrection" on 1/6, I doubt most Americans would weigh that against leftist violence on innocent people, especially considering the approval rating of those that were targeted in the attack on 1/6, and especially considering the attackers were anti-Biden who's approval rating is also in the gutter.
                    Not specifically; I just mean embracing namecalling and ad hominem attacks, that sort of thing. I do think that the extent to which conservatives are positively obsessed with minimizing 1/6 is an issue, though.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Rasmussen Poll: 50 Percent Support SCOTUS Abortion Ruling

                      A new poll Tuesday by Rasmussen Reports finds that half of the country approves of the U.S. Supreme Court's decision last week to overturn the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision and send the issue of abortion back to the states.

                      The poll, released Tuesday, found that 50% of the people approve of the court's decision last week to overturn the federal right to abortion granted under the almost 50-year-old Roe v. Wade decision, and send the issue back to the individual states to decide, including 38% who "strongly approve" of the court's ruling.

                      Just under half — 45% — of those surveyed disapproved of the decision, including 38% who "strongly disapproved," according to the poll.

                      The court issued its 6-3 opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health last Friday that overturned the Roe decision and 1992's Casey case that determined that a woman seeking an abortion could be required to give her "informed consent" before the procedure, saying that abortion is not a right granted in the Constitution, and that federal government "has no authority" in the matter, which should be regulated by the states.

                      "We do not pretend to know how our political system or society will respond to today's decision overruling Roe and Casey," Justice Samuel Alito wrote for the majority. "And even if we could foresee what will happen, we would have no authority to let that knowledge influence our decision.

                      "We can only do our job, which is to interpret the law, apply longstanding principles of stare decisis, and decide this case accordingly. We therefore hold that the Constitution does not confer a right to abortion. Roeand Caseymust be overruled, and the authority to regulate abortion must be returned to the people and their elected representatives."

                      The Rasmussen poll found that the decision had 75% support from republicans, compared to 71% of Democrats disapproving the ruling.
                      Given that it was a Rasmussen poll, you can bet that most other polls will show a smaller percentage approving.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                        Given that it was a Rasmussen poll, you can bet that most other polls will show a smaller percentage approving.
                        Probably.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

                          Not specifically; I just mean embracing namecalling and ad hominem attacks, that sort of thing. I do think that the extent to which conservatives are positively obsessed with minimizing 1/6 is an issue, though.
                          It's the reverse effect of how the Dems are treating it, even outright lying about things that occurred, and clearly using it as political leverage. It was a violent riot that was bad, but it wasn't an orchestrated insurrection (at least not on the side of the right). One person died as a direct result of the riot and that was a rioter herself. And again it happened against lawmakers that the country pretty hates anyway. On top of that -- though doesn't excuse the violence of the event itself -- is the fact there's pretty solid evidence that it was an inside job.
                          "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                            Given that it was a Rasmussen poll, you can bet that most other polls will show a smaller percentage approving.
                            Given the Stalin comment after the Presidential election, can we be entirely certain the poll result was correct? Or did they make it up?
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

                            Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                              Given that it was a Rasmussen poll, you can bet that most other polls will show a smaller percentage approving.
                              Interestingly, old Joe has higher approval ratings according to Rasmussen as well as Fox than nearly any other pollsters.

                              Funny how that works.

                              I'm always still in trouble again

                              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Bill the Cat, Yesterday, 12:30 PM
                              17 responses
                              114 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Maranatha  
                              Started by Sparko, Yesterday, 10:43 AM
                              19 responses
                              102 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by firstfloor, Yesterday, 03:17 AM
                              26 responses
                              164 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                              Started by seer, 08-08-2022, 06:17 PM
                              198 responses
                              949 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post rogue06
                              by rogue06
                               
                              Started by rogue06, 08-07-2022, 12:45 PM
                              22 responses
                              154 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Working...
                              X