Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Are some Americans taking their cue from China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Some Americans appear to have no issues with driving their vehicles into groups of people with whose political views they disagree.

The same approach that some of us remember from an authoritarian government and its military employees in 1989!
    Didn't y'all just have someone drive through a bunch of people in Germany a couple weeks ago across the street from the spot where someone else ran down a bunch of Christmas Market attendees several years ago?

Comment

That is the same moment albeit shot from a different angle. He is clearly coming down the street.
      Yes, and pretty clearly being attacked through his open window. Can't say I'd be going so slow if someone was grabbing me or my steering wheel thru my window.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
        Pedantic point: The Chinese tanks didn't actually run over anyone. Suggest referencing the French aristos instead.
        That was my memory of Tiananmen, but thought perhaps I didn't see the whole video.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          Pedantic point: The Chinese tanks didn't actually run over anyone. Suggest referencing the French aristos instead.
          In fairness, the perception of tanks running over people probably stems from this:

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
            You'd think a supposed historian would be able to read.
            Is she pretending she's a professional historian again? I thought this is the week she identifies as being an anthropologist.

Hard to keep up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Subtext - you cannot produce the link.
              Produce what link? He said that from the available video it seems to contradict your assertions, unless there is a longer video that gives more context. He didn't say there is one. You misread as usual and are now demanding He supply a link that he never claimed existed because you can't read worth a crap

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

In fairness, the perception of tanks running over people probably stems from this:

It's a bit of a Mandela effect. Lots of folks misremember it as the guy getting run over and killed. The subject of the tanks came up between me and my wife a few years back and she was convinced she remembered video of him being run over and killed until I wltool her over to the computer and showed her.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Not to mention that armored vehicles were in fact used to drive over protesters. The only part up for debate is whether they were literally tanks (like in the GIF) or other types of heavy armored vehicles.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You alleged a video exists, when asked to provide it, you declined.
                    No, he didn't. You just can't read.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

That was my memory of Tiananmen, but thought perhaps I didn't see the whole video.
                      There were most certainly massacres of citizens in Tiananmen square, but the tank incident stands out because a brave Chinese national stood up to the advancing tank column, and they just couldn't run over him. I wonder if that tank driver was executed as a result of his failure to do his duty.

In Hong Kong, memories of China's Tiananmen Square massacre are being erased

To compare this with the incident in Cedar Rapids is just bird-brained stupid.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

It's a bit of a Mandela effect. Lots of folks misremember it as the guy getting run over and killed. The subject of the tanks came up between me and my wife a few years back and she was convinced she remembered video of him being run over and killed until I wltool her over to the computer and showed her.
                        I can see how this happens. Tiennamen square was a horrible massacre. The lone protester is an ICONIC image. The two, in memory, get combined.

Arguing about whether it was tanks or APC's running over people though would be a heavy case of Logic Chopping, since the point of comparison is that they were murdered and ran over, not the type of vehicle that did the murdering/running over.

We would be pulling an H_A if we quibbled over that detail compared to the actual point....

(Carry on)

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Congratulations...You just apologized to yourself....
                          To be fair I've caught her debating against herself the last few weeks. She could do with an apology to herself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yeah, he literally got the tanks to stop then climbed up on the lead one and talked with the driver before being grabbed and never seen again.

Likely executed and cremated (the Chicoms were burning the bodies of protesters to make getting the number that they killed difficult to determine), with his family getting the bill for the bullet used to kill him (a lovely Chicom tradition).

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Yeah, he literally got the tanks to stop then climbed up on the lead one and talked with the driver before being grabbed and never seen again.

Likely executed and cremated (the Chicoms were burning the bodies of protesters to make getting the number that they killed difficult to determine), with his family getting the bill for the bullet used to kill him (a lovely Chicom tradition).
                              Reminds me of the image of Boris Yeltsin climbing onto a tank when the Soviets were trying to intimidate him into silence. Pretty gutsy. I thought he might get shot, but I didn't realize the mood at the time was for the fall of the empire.

Too bad that the gangsters eventually took over.

yeltsin.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Reminds me of the image of Boris Yeltsin climbing onto a tank when the Soviets were trying to intimidate him into silence. Pretty gutsy. I thought he might get shot, but I didn't realize the mood at the time was for the fall of the empire.

Too bad that the gangsters eventually took over.

yeltsin.jpg
                                There was a story years ago about that column of tanks, and how they needed to cross a bridge, but there was a woman standing on the bridge preventing them from proceeding.
                                The guy in the lead tank got into a shouting match with the woman, and they guy in the tank behind his yelled "just run her over!"
                                The tank commander turned around and angrily shouted... "I CAN'T - SHE's my MOTHER!"
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment