Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Any thoughts on Justice Thomas' opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

This time she's right on grammatical grounds. Of course, I can't think of any other groups that are on the warpath.
    I have to disagree. If I state that a lot of rich liberals go to the beach, that does not mean that ONLY rich liberals go to the beach, it just means that many (i.e. a lot) do. No further meaning is in that sentence. I am not saying that poor conservatives do not go to the beach. I have made no statement on them and their beach going habits. It would be incorrect to assume that I have commented on their behavior.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It is a bit odd that while Samuel Alito is the one who wrote the actual majority decision (joined by Thomas, Barrett, Gorsuch and Kavanaugh with Roberts concurring in judgment), the left directs almost all their ire toward the only black person on the court.
      Liberals are racist. What else is new?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I have to disagree. If I state that a lot of rich liberals go to the beach, that does not mean that ONLY rich liberals go to the beach, it just means that many (i.e. a lot) do. No further meaning is in that sentence. I am not saying that poor conservatives do not go to the beach. I have made no statement on them and their beach going habits. It would be incorrect to assume that I have commented on their behavior.
        "A lot of rich liberals do this or that" - agreed, the statement isn't restricted to the nominated group.
        "A lot of rich liberals (and foreign liberals) do this or that" - the statement does implicitly act to restrict the range. Without the brackets, not so much.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Nor are you making a statement concerning what percent that rich liberals makeup of those on the beach itself. It is just a simple statement that can be clarified and expanded upon as needed.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

"A lot of rich liberals do this or that" - agreed, the statement isn't restricted to the nominated group.
            "A lot of rich liberals (and foreign liberals) do this or that" - the statement does implicitly act to restrict the range. Without the brackets, not so much.
            The phrase "a lot of" does not imply "every" or "only".

Comment

• And, the crazy German cat lady has once again managed to turn the focus away from content to pedantic arguing over language.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                And, the crazy German cat lady has once again managed to turn the focus away from content to pedantic arguing over language.
                Oh, don't worry, nobody is under any illusion that this thread didn't crash and burn several pages ago. Seems to be a habit of hers: start a deliberately provocative thread, watch her arguments get handily demolished in short order, then desperately derail her own thread to an irrelevant side issue before abandoning it.

Comment