Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Wrong, But Mostly True CNN Story

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wrong, But Mostly True CNN Story

    https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/25/polit...ddy/index.html

    This thing reads like a Babylon Bee story. Talk about your "mostly peaceful fiery protests."

    Fact check: Democratic group makes multiple false claims in its dramatic allegations about Lauren Boebert's past

    Washington (CNN)A Democratic super PAC has made multiple false claims about Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert while pushing unproven allegations that the right-wing Colorado congresswoman has had abortions and formerly worked as an escort, all of which Boebert vehemently denies.

    American Muckrakers PAC co-founder David Wheeler acknowledged to CNN that the super PAC had been "sloppy" and had published "inaccuracies" on its anti-Boebert website, though he said it remains confident in the "main points of the story." His comments came after CNN reporting found that the super PAC had made at least five false statements about Boebert, along with a series of uncorroborated assertions that Boebert says are false and that CNN could neither immediately confirm nor immediately debunk.

    In emails this week and in a Thursday interview, Wheeler conceded that the super PAC was wrong when it insisted a photo of another woman posing on a bed is a photo of Boebert, was wrong when it claimed Boebert initially failed to disclose a campaign contribution from Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, was wrong to suggest Cruz had made big contributions to Boebert's campaign immediately after she started running in her first primary, was wrong about the date of a Boebert vehicle accident, and was wrong when it published a claim that Boebert had an abortion "in the fall of 2004" -- at most six months before she gave birth to a son in March 2005...
    "You should just assume going forward that if I am ever wrong it is a typo" - Backup
    "
    Reality simply does not change based upon consensus or desire." - rogue

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/25/polit...ddy/index.html

    This thing reads like a Babylon Bee story. Talk about your "mostly peaceful fiery protests."

    Fact check: Democratic group makes multiple false claims in its dramatic allegations about Lauren Boebert's past

    Washington (CNN)A Democratic super PAC has made multiple false claims about Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert while pushing unproven allegations that the right-wing Colorado congresswoman has had abortions and formerly worked as an escort, all of which Boebert vehemently denies.

    American Muckrakers PAC co-founder David Wheeler acknowledged to CNN that the super PAC had been "sloppy" and had published "inaccuracies" on its anti-Boebert website, though he said it remains confident in the "main points of the story." His comments came after CNN reporting found that the super PAC had made at least five false statements about Boebert, along with a series of uncorroborated assertions that Boebert says are false and that CNN could neither immediately confirm nor immediately debunk.

    In emails this week and in a Thursday interview, Wheeler conceded that the super PAC was wrong when it insisted a photo of another woman posing on a bed is a photo of Boebert, was wrong when it claimed Boebert initially failed to disclose a campaign contribution from Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, was wrong to suggest Cruz had made big contributions to Boebert's campaign immediately after she started running in her first primary, was wrong about the date of a Boebert vehicle accident, and was wrong when it published a claim that Boebert had an abortion "in the fall of 2004" -- at most six months before she gave birth to a son in March 2005...
    Sounds like they didn't get much of anything right so I'm not sure how they can claim to remain confident in the "main points of the story."

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Sounds like they didn't get much of anything right so I'm not sure how they can claim to remain confident in the "main points of the story."
      The main point is "we don't like Lauren". We still don't like Lauren, so that part's true.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Sounds like they didn't get much of anything right so I'm not sure how they can claim to remain confident in the "main points of the story."
        Yeah. This reads like: "We were wrong about this, this, this, this and this. But we're confident the main points are accurate." Is there anything left?
        "You should just assume going forward that if I am ever wrong it is a typo" - Backup
        "
        Reality simply does not change based upon consensus or desire." - rogue

        Comment


        • #5
          ...a series of uncorroborated assertions that Boebert says are false and that CNN could neither immediately confirm nor immediately debunk.



          If it can't be confirmed, then it doesn't need to be debunked. This is along the same lines as "This investigation found no evidence that President Trump committed a crime, but we can't exonerate him, either."
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God


          From "Fools Gold" by Petra

          Comment


          • #6
            It's the "Some say" principle.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

            Beige Federalist.

            Nationalist Christian.

            "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

            Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

            Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

            Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

            Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

            Justice for Matthew Perna!

            Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              It's the "Some say" principle.
              We used to take the "Ghost Tours" at night in places like Old San Diego, Boston, Savannah.....

              That was pretty much the foundation of the "Ghost Tour" ---- "they say....."
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

              Comment


              • #8

                I'm always still in trouble again

                "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                Comment


                • #9
                  Did anybody see that bit where a CNN reporter was talking to Kari Lake about doing an interview, and the prospective interviewee replied "Sure, as long as you air it on CNN+"?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Cow Poke
                    Did anybody see that bit where a CNN reporter was talking to somebody about doing an interview, and the prospective interviewee replied "Sure, as long as you air it on CNN+"?
                    IIRC, an Arizona Republican...


                    Found it




                    She's running for governor.

                    I'm always still in trouble again

                    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      IIRC, an Arizona Republican...


                      Found it




                      She's running for governor.
                      LOVE it!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/25/polit...ddy/index.html

                        This thing reads like a Babylon Bee story. Talk about your "mostly peaceful fiery protests."

                        Fact check: Democratic group makes multiple false claims in its dramatic allegations about Lauren Boebert's past

                        Washington (CNN)A Democratic super PAC has made multiple false claims about Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert while pushing unproven allegations that the right-wing Colorado congresswoman has had abortions and formerly worked as an escort, all of which Boebert vehemently denies.

                        American Muckrakers PAC co-founder David Wheeler acknowledged to CNN that the super PAC had been "sloppy" and had published "inaccuracies" on its anti-Boebert website, though he said it remains confident in the "main points of the story." His comments came after CNN reporting found that the super PAC had made at least five false statements about Boebert, along with a series of uncorroborated assertions that Boebert says are false and that CNN could neither immediately confirm nor immediately debunk.

                        In emails this week and in a Thursday interview, Wheeler conceded that the super PAC was wrong when it insisted a photo of another woman posing on a bed is a photo of Boebert, was wrong when it claimed Boebert initially failed to disclose a campaign contribution from Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, was wrong to suggest Cruz had made big contributions to Boebert's campaign immediately after she started running in her first primary, was wrong about the date of a Boebert vehicle accident, and was wrong when it published a claim that Boebert had an abortion "in the fall of 2004" -- at most six months before she gave birth to a son in March 2005...
                        It doesn't appear to be a CNN story. It's a CNN Fact Check of an American Muckrakers PAC story.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                          It doesn't appear to be a CNN story. It's a CNN Fact Check of an American Muckrakers PAC story.
                          Yes. I kinda misrepresented it. CNN will forgive me.
                          "You should just assume going forward that if I am ever wrong it is a typo" - Backup
                          "
                          Reality simply does not change based upon consensus or desire." - rogue

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ronson View Post

                            Yes. I kinda misrepresented it. CNN will forgive me.
                            Forgive you? They'll RECRUIT you!
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Stoic View Post

                              It doesn't appear to be a CNN story. It's a CNN Fact Check of an American Muckrakers PAC story.
                              I am just surprised that CNN actually did what appears to be a fair fact check. They really do seem to be trying to be less biased.


                              Comment

                              Related Threads

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Bill the Cat, Yesterday, 12:30 PM
                              17 responses
                              116 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Maranatha  
                              Started by Sparko, Yesterday, 10:43 AM
                              19 responses
                              106 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Started by firstfloor, Yesterday, 03:17 AM
                              26 responses
                              171 views
                              2 likes
                              Last Post Hypatia_Alexandria  
                              Started by seer, 08-08-2022, 06:17 PM
                              201 responses
                              973 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post shunyadragon  
                              Started by rogue06, 08-07-2022, 12:45 PM
                              22 responses
                              154 views
                              1 like
                              Last Post Ronson
                              by Ronson
                               
                              Working...
                              X