Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

To the Biden supporters and defenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    ? I didn't say he got Alzheimer's.

He declined to actively participate in the role of president and left his cabinet to run things, spent his own time watching TV, and just read the speeches he got given. The infighting among his cabinet for control that resulted from this was pretty infamous.
    I'm sure you're going to produce a cite for that.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Reagan didn't get Alzheimer’s until Clinton was president (5 years after leaving office).
    ? I didn't say he got Alzheimer's.

He declined to actively participate in the role of president and left his cabinet to run things, spent his own time watching TV, and just read the speeches he got given. The infighting among his cabinet for control that resulted from this was pretty infamous.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But, hey - ya gotta support the narrative!

One of my favorite stories was when Reagan was at Camp David with his advisors, and the Iranians were sending speedboats out to harass shipping. It was a challenge for our Navy, because they're used to training big guns on big ships, and these speed boats would zoom in "under radar" and disappear.

While the Secretary of Defense (Weinberger?) was explaining the problem, Reagan is said to have been staring out the window, then asked "where are they coming from?"

Everybody in the room was puzzled --- "where is WHO coming from"?

He answered - "the speed boats -- they can't be coming all the way from land, so where are they coming from".

The answer, of course, was the oil platforms in the gulf, so Reagan said "blow up the oil platforms from which they come". His instructions were to issue warnings, and if the oil platform was not abandoned, it would be destroyed. And he did it. Problem solved.

President Reagan said, "We aim to deter further Iranian aggression, not provoke it. They must know that we will protect our ships, and if they threaten us, they'll pay a price."
    That, and the Freedom of Navigation Exercises where Reagan had Tomcats fly along the Libyan coast to challenge their overly aggressive claim of territorial waters, and Libya ended up losing fighter jets.

In 1986, a pair of aviation movies took America by storm. Both Doug Masters in Iron Eagle and Pete “Maverick” Mitchell in Top Gun took to the skies and dominated America’s enemies (we all know who the better pilot was). But in the five months between those two blockbuster releases, U.S. Navy pilots did some butt-kicking for real in the Mediterranean Sea. The butt-kickee? Libya, who endured several days of naval battles that were originally intended to just be some exercises.

Those exercises were planned in response to constant Libyan claims over the Gulf of Sidra. In 1981, the newly-elected President Ronald Reagan ordered the United States Navy to carry out some “freedom of navigation” exercises in the area. Just days into the exercise, two Libyan Su-22 Fitters attacked a pair of F-14 Tomcats. The Fitters were quickly were shot down, shutting down Libyan aggression for a while.

Gee, I miss Reagan.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    The revisionist history found on YouTube channels.

Reagan didn't get Alzheimer’s until Clinton was president (5 years after leaving office).

Not to mention that even years later the White House physicians who attended Reagan all said he never displayed any signs or symptoms of dementia the whole time he was in office

But even with the hindsight of Mr. Reagan’s [Alzheimer’s] diagnosis, his four main White House doctors say they never detected any evidence that his forgetfulness was more than just that. His mental competence in office, they said in a series of recent interviews, was never in doubt. Indeed, they pointed out, tests of his mental status did not begin to show evidence of the disease until the summer of 1993, more than four years after he left the White House.

"There was never anything that would raise a question about his ability to function as President,” said Dr. Lawrence C. Mohr, one of Mr. Reagan’s physicians in his second term. “Ronald Reagan’s cognitive function, belief structure, judgment, ability to choose between options, behavior and ability to communicate were totally and completely intact.”

[…]

He “never forgot appointments, misplaced or lost things, where he put his glasses, never forgot to put his hearing aids in, never forgot to put his contact lenses in, and these are things he did for himself,” Dr. Mohr said. “I saw him saddle and bridle horses at the ranch and later put things back exactly where they belonged.” And Mr. Reagan, the doctors stressed, was punctual, never depressed and had no difficulty with language or understanding what was going on around him.
    But, hey - ya gotta support the narrative!

One of my favorite stories was when Reagan was at Camp David with his advisors, and the Iranians were sending speedboats out to harass shipping. It was a challenge for our Navy, because they're used to training big guns on big ships, and these speed boats would zoom in "under radar" and disappear.

While the Secretary of Defense (Weinberger?) was explaining the problem, Reagan is said to have been staring out the window, then asked "where are they coming from?"

Everybody in the room was puzzled --- "where is WHO coming from"?

He answered - "the speed boats -- they can't be coming all the way from land, so where are they coming from".

The answer, of course, was the oil platforms in the gulf, so Reagan said "blow up the oil platforms from which they come". His instructions were to issue warnings, and if the oil platform was not abandoned, it would be destroyed. And he did it. Problem solved.

President Reagan said, "We aim to deter further Iranian aggression, not provoke it. They must know that we will protect our ships, and if they threaten us, they'll pay a price."

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    No idea if the OP article is true, but it's becoming presidency that's sad to watch. It reminds me of the Reagan administration when the president just delivered the speeches given to him and watched TV the rest of the time. At least unlike Reagan, his cabinet doesn't seem to be fighting with each other behind the scenes or engaging in mass scandals and illegal actions. The Trump administration was quite similar to this too, with the president spending so much time golfing and him knowing relatively little about politics, leaving his cabinet to get on with the business of actually running the country for him. With the Trump presidency most of the scandals did seem to come from the president rather than from the cabinet though. At least with the Biden presidency its a Democratic presidency so it's not crime-filled.

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs for the US to once again find itself in, particularly when the country could do with some decisive leadership. It's a real pity Obama organized to get Biden elected by having the other corporate Dem candidates drop out and support Biden in order to stop Bernie winning. If the US had had a Sanders presidency at the moment, the situation would be a lot better.
    The revisionist history found on YouTube channels.

Not to mention that even years later the White House physicians who attended Reagan all said he never displayed any signs or symptoms of dementia the whole time he was in office

But even with the hindsight of Mr. Reagan’s [Alzheimer’s] diagnosis, his four main White House doctors say they never detected any evidence that his forgetfulness was more than just that. His mental competence in office, they said in a series of recent interviews, was never in doubt. Indeed, they pointed out, tests of his mental status did not begin to show evidence of the disease until the summer of 1993, more than four years after he left the White House.

"There was never anything that would raise a question about his ability to function as President,” said Dr. Lawrence C. Mohr, one of Mr. Reagan’s physicians in his second term. “Ronald Reagan’s cognitive function, belief structure, judgment, ability to choose between options, behavior and ability to communicate were totally and completely intact.”

[…]

He “never forgot appointments, misplaced or lost things, where he put his glasses, never forgot to put his hearing aids in, never forgot to put his contact lenses in, and these are things he did for himself,” Dr. Mohr said. “I saw him saddle and bridle horses at the ranch and later put things back exactly where they belonged.” And Mr. Reagan, the doctors stressed, was punctual, never depressed and had no difficulty with language or understanding what was going on around him.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    No idea if the OP article is true, but it's becoming presidency that's sad to watch. It reminds me of the Reagan administration when the president just delivered the speeches given to him and watched TV the rest of the time. At least unlike Reagan, his cabinet doesn't seem to be fighting with each other behind the scenes or engaging in mass scandals and illegal actions. The Trump administration was quite similar to this too, with the president spending so much time golfing and him knowing relatively little about politics, leaving his cabinet to get on with the business of actually running the country for him. With the Trump presidency most of the scandals did seem to come from the president rather than from the cabinet though. At least with the Biden presidency its a Democratic presidency so it's not crime-filled.
    I think you're too eager to lap up the rumors and gossip about Reagan. And absolutely no comparison whatsoever with Biden.

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs for the US to once again find itself in, particularly when the country could do with some decisive leadership. It's a real pity Obama organized to get Biden elected by having the other corporate Dem candidates drop out and support Biden in order to stop Bernie winning. If the US had had a Sanders presidency at the moment, the situation would be a lot better.
    And it amazes me that they thought Biden was the very best they could offer.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I've been a little surprised how soon after the 2020 elections, Biden supporters disappeared. Biden was only elected because he was not Trump.
    There were hardly any Joe supporters before the election. He couldn't even get a dozen people to show up at a Walmart parking lot.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I've been a little surprised how soon after the 2020 elections, Biden supporters disappeared. Biden was only elected because he was not Trump.
    There was an acute lack of pro-Joe websites and tweets -- even when he was still popular.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I honestly don't think they care. They probably chuckle, say, "He's doing it again," and move on with the business at hand. Nobody is pretending Joe is in charge, not even Joe. They know we know, and still they don't care. That's concerning.
    I really don't want to believe this, MM, but....

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Can you imagine the headslaps and faceplants going on behind the scenes as "they" see him reveal their instruction sheet to the world?
    I honestly don't think they care. They probably chuckle, say, "He's doing it again," and move on with the business at hand. Nobody is pretending Joe is in charge, not even Joe. They know we know, and still they don't care. That's concerning.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Yeah, even Obama has disappeared (and I'm sure he's one of his behind-the-scenes handlers, as he bought a DC residence relatively recently). I suspect Schumer, Pelosi and Dr. Jill have some puppeteer influence, but mostly the manipulators are shadowy figures.

puppet.jpg

These are the puppetmasters...

They openly admit they control world leaders.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Yeah, even Obama has disappeared (and I'm sure he's one of his behind-the-scenes handlers, as he bought a DC residence relatively recently). I suspect Schumer, Pelosi and Dr. Jill have some puppeteer influence, but mostly the manipulators are shadowy figures.

puppet.jpg
    Still thinking Susan Rice is a large part of "they".

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I don't expect anybody to jump in to try and defend this, because how can they? The Presdient of the United Sates is clearly being treated like a toddler by his handlers, and what's worse, he is clearly accepting of that level of control. It can not be reasonably argued that he displays the qualities of someone with a sound mind, and I expect this whole thing will simply be ignored and forgotten by Joe's defenders.
    Can you imagine the headslaps and faceplants going on behind the scenes as "they" see him reveal their instruction sheet to the world?

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

puppet.jpg
    Last edited by Ronson; 06-25-2022, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment: