Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

To the Biden supporters and defenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    Finally coming around in regards to Biden. It sure took long enough.
    Maybe it's you who has Alzheimer's?

Me in Jan 2020, before Biden was the nominee:
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    [Biden's] just not all there mentally. Not that I think Trump is all there either. But, if anything, Biden seems worse than Trump as far as age-related mental deterioration goes.
    Me in June 2020, before Biden was elected:
    I think it's safe to assume that Biden is sufficiently old and has sufficient cognitive decline that he won't actually do much, and that his government will be run by the people around him, like with Reagan...

I don't like Biden's own personal history on policy, but I don't think that will affect things much, or even at all, in his administration, because I don't think it will be him calling the shots.
    The question is not if I've "come around", but how brilliantly prescient I was and how much I absolutely nailed it years in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied

But not without being couched in a pathetic display of "whataboutism".

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    This bit gave me a laugh:

As for requiring a neuropsychological test... If you make all the guys in Congress take the test, you’d lose half the Congress.”
    Sounds about right and shows such a test would be a good idea!
    Unfortunately, the inmates are in charge of the asylum, so they'd never vote to allow that.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    Looking back with better info and knowledge, he was clearly suffering with the earliest stages of decline.
    https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...947-story.html
    This bit gave me a laugh:

As for requiring a neuropsychological test... If you make all the guys in Congress take the test, you’d lose half the Congress.”
    Sounds about right and shows such a test would be a good idea!

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Reagan was clearly in the very early stages, likely before clear detection would have been possible (especially with the much lower understanding of the disease that we had decades ago). Nothing remotely close to Biden's level of decline, but clearly some mental impairment.

Looking back with better info and knowledge, he was clearly suffering with the earliest stages of decline.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/ronald-...disease-328050

Notice in particular the part about his tend toward relying on crutch words like 'thing'

..... sound like anyone we know? "You know, the thing!"

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

I think you're too eager to lap up the rumors and gossip about Reagan. And absolutely no comparison whatsoever with Biden.

And it amazes me that they thought Biden was the very best they could offer.
    Reagan was clearly in the very early stages, likely before clear detection would have been possible (especially with the much lower understanding of the disease that we had decades ago). Nothing remotely close to Biden's level of decline, but clearly some mental impairment.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/ronald-...disease-328050

Toward the end of his presidency, Ronald Reagan, once famed as “The Great Communicator,” began losing the luster on his oratory prowess. In November of 1994, five years out of office, doctors diagnosed him with Alzheimer’s disease. A new analysis suggests the signs may have been evident even before he left the White House.

The findings hail from Arizona State University and are published in the Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. They give credence to a method of disease detection that relies on analyzing speech patterns for irregularities, such as the repetition of certain phrases or forgetting them altogether. Alzheimer’s disease carries no reliable diagnostic tool, as scientists have yet to find a way to unlock the so far impenetrable black box of the brain.

As a window into dementia, speech analysis can be tricky. Decades of recorded words aren’t usually lying around, waiting to be fed through a computer. But politicians, in their years of documented campaigning and national addresses, can act as a helpful outlier.

In their analysis, Visar Berisha and Julie Liss, professors of speech and hearing science at ASU, compared Reagan’s transcripts to those of President George H.W. Bush. The two men acted as a reliable comparison for analyzing speech because they were around the same age during their presidency and served in the same decade. This proximity was important for Berisha and Liss because people speak differently across various time periods and at different stages in life.

In parsing both presidents’ many transcripts, they discovered some key differences. Compared to Bush, who has exhibited no signs of dementia, Reagan began relying on crutch words more often toward the end of his presidency, such as using the word “thing” instead of a more specific term. He also repeated himself more often, the researchers found.

Berisha and Liss got the idea for their study after coming across a study that analyzed autobiographical essays of nuns living in a convent, some of whom developed Alzheimer’s and tended to project the signs in their writing. “It was surprising that, by analyzing discourse rather than writing samples, similar changes were detectable over the course of two presidential terms,” Berisha told Yahoo.

Cognitive decline is best caught early. It isn’t a gradual slide into senility so much as a push off of the edge of a cliff. Once the fall has begun, the amyloid plaques destroying neural connections quickly wipe away speech function and mental reasoning. Vocabulary size begins to shrink and known words elude people’s grasp. For Berisha and Liss, the hope is these kinds of detection methods can apply to the general public. They want to devise a study that can record conversations between physicians and patients to analyze speech patterns over time. They also want to study NFL press conferences among players who have suffered head trauma.

“Our goal,” Berisha told Yahoo, “is that one day we can develop health applications that automatically analyze speech and language biomarkers for disease onset or progression.”

Source: Berisha V, Wang S, LaCross A, Liss J. Tracking Discourse Complexity Preceding Alzheimer's Disease Diagnosis: A Case Study Comparing the Press Conferences of Presidents Ronald Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 2015.

Notice in particular the part about his tend toward relying on crutch words like 'thing'

..... sound like anyone we know? "You know, the thing!"
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 06-25-2022, 09:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

Well, claims and reality can be two different things. I'm sure they have a lot of influence over western leaders, and little or no control over tyrannies, despots, and the like. I'd like to see them "control" Putin or Xi, or Iran or Cuba.
    As far as the west, they've completely captured the EU, Canada, and Australia. Most of the EU leaders in powerful positions and ruling most of the major countries in the union are WEF subservient minions, especially Ursula von der Leyen, Christine Lagarde, and Macron their top three minions. They're having trouble with the US only because of our constitution and court system, but as we can all plainly see, they're definitely trying. They don't "control" Putin , but it's more than clear they baited him into this war, and they're definitely using him for their agenda in the EU.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Next one's gonna have "YOU keep this sheet so no one else can see it." at the top.

Well, yeah, maybe they shoulda added that.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

I ended up disappointed with him. Reagan bailing out the S&Ls was like Bush/Obama bailing out Wall Street. Raised taxes, outlawed adult-living complexes and devalued my property. Then he did a sneak end-round with the whole Iran-Contra mess.

I liked Reagan for his optimism and the way he dealt with the Soviets, but not much else.
    I liked that he really wanted to make things work, and for his witticisms... common sense approach, and calm and steady approach to problems.

But, then again, he followed Jimmy Carter, so the bar was really really low.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Can you imagine the headslaps and faceplants going on behind the scenes as "they" see him reveal their instruction sheet to the world?
    Next one's gonna have "YOU keep this sheet so no one else can see it." at the top.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    Gee, I miss Reagan.
    I ended up disappointed with him. Reagan bailing out the S&Ls was like Bush/Obama bailing out Wall Street. Raised taxes, outlawed adult-living complexes and devalued my property. Then he did a sneak end-round with the whole Iran-Contra mess.

I liked Reagan for his optimism and the way he dealt with the Soviets, but not much else.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    No idea if the OP article is true, but it's becoming presidency that's sad to watch. It reminds me of the Reagan administration when the president just delivered the speeches given to him and watched TV the rest of the time. At least unlike Reagan, his cabinet doesn't seem to be fighting with each other behind the scenes or engaging in mass scandals and illegal actions. The Trump administration was quite similar to this too, with the president spending so much time golfing and him knowing relatively little about politics, leaving his cabinet to get on with the business of actually running the country for him. With the Trump presidency most of the scandals did seem to come from the president rather than from the cabinet though. At least with the Biden presidency its a Democratic presidency so it's not crime-filled.

It's a bit of a sad state of affairs for the US to once again find itself in, particularly when the country could do with some decisive leadership. It's a real pity Obama organized to get Biden elected by having the other corporate Dem candidates drop out and support Biden in order to stop Bernie winning. If the US had had a Sanders presidency at the moment, the situation would be a lot better.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Well, claims and reality can be two different things. I'm sure they have a lot of influence over western leaders, and little or no control over tyrannies, despots, and the like. I'd like to see them "control" Putin or Xi, or Iran or Cuba.
    Maybe they ARE!

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post

These are the puppetmasters...

They openly admit they control world leaders.

Leave a comment: