Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, leaves issue up to states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post

To love guns is to embrace also gun violence. They are inseparable and inconsistent with civilised society. “Love thy neighbour” does not mean - be ready to blast his head off.

So we must lead by example, leave your guns at home to rust.
    To love free speech is to also embrace hate speech. They are inseparable and inconsistent with civilized society. “Love thy neighbor” does not mean - be ready to say vile things to him.

So we must lead by example, keep your mouth shut.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Guns are not for personal use but for State security by means of a well regulated militia - formed to control slaves. You cannot cherrypick the second amendment. Post slavery, private gun ownership is unnecessary.

come on America, get a grip!
      The Second Amendment was never about controlling slaves. That's ignorant historical revisionism. And "well regulated militia" does not mean "regulated by the state". Rather, the phrase "well regulated" was a common term at the time that meant "in good working order", for instance "a well regulated mind". In other words, the idea was the right of the people to keep and bear arms would be protected so that, if necessary, a Militia could be formed that was in good working order because the people were familiar with how to handle their weapons. Also note the phrase "necessary to the security of the free State": our Founding Fathers were wise men who knew the time might come again when it would become necessary to fight our own government for the sake of freedom.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The Second Amendment was never about controlling slaves. That's ignorant historical revisionism. And "well regulated militia" does not mean "regulated by the state". Rather, the phrase "well regulated" was a common term at the time that meant "in good working order", for instance "a well regulated mind". In other words, the idea was the right of the people to keep and bear arms would be protected so that, if necessary, a Militia could be formed that was in good working order because the people were familiar with how to handle their weapons. Also note the phrase "necessary to the security of the free State": our Founding Fathers were wise men who knew the time might come again when it would become necessary to fight our own government for the sake of freedom.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
        As you confirm, the right to bear arms is conditional on the necessity of a well regulated Militia. In the absence of said militia, the right to bear arms is forfeit.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

As you confirm, the right to bear arms is conditional on the necessity of a well regulated Militia. In the absence of said militia, the right to bear arms is forfeit.
          You skipped right over the part of my post that explained what the term "well regulated Militia" means, didn't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

I for one fully support your attempts at getting lazy conservatives to form Right Wing Death Squads militias in order to keep their guns. I don't think you're gonna like how that works out tho.
            "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You skipped right over the part of my post that explained what the term "well regulated Militia" means, didn't you?
              You fancy yourself as a domestic terrorist. I think that’s what you mean.
              “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
              “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
              “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

You fancy yourself as a domestic terrorist.
                Did you get beat up on the playground a lot when you were a kid?

I think that’s what you mean.
                I don't think anybody else does.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As you confirm, the right to bear arms is conditional on the necessity of a well regulated Militia.
                  It's about the right of the people to defend themselves from a tyrannical government - like we had just done with the British.
                  The Founding Fathers were wise enough to foresee that the same thing could happen with our own newly formed government.

That, of course, is exactly why the Bill of Rights came into being.

In the absence of said militia, the right to bear arms is forfeit.
                  In the absence of the right to bear arms, a militia is futile.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Gun Control....

Criminals will be gearing up to supply guns and ammo, establish new smuggling routes, and so on. Christians are responsible for leaving their own unarmed families at the mercy of criminal gangs.

See how that works?
                    I thought I posted this

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      That was my inspiration.

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Wait, did you just ask a conservative if he believes the country shifting in the direction of his political beliefs is a good thing?
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Does that include having a strong leader?
                          No - you do know what a political pendulum is, right?

And what precisely are "the long-term errors" that you consider need correcting?
                          In the US: Slavery, not applying the BOR to the states, legalized murder, applying civic standards to questions of life, separate but equal, red lining, permitting sanctuary against law of superior jurisdiction, taxation by citation, hate speech at all levels, unequal funding of public defense, NSA in part, executive order in lieu of legislation, legislative delegation of power

That is just off the top of my head.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I assumed your gender.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Well said.

Though I think it is called "Losing Isaiah".
                              Ah, I think you're right - it was so heartbreaking that I have avoided it for years. I'm getting misty thinking about it.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I assumed your gender.
                                I assume it's female. That's what Momma always told me.

I even put it on the mini profile ...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment