Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, leaves issue up to states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Well it may come to that. Welfare and more of it. Unless of course having had all these future babies born, the American conservatives and the religious right who have campaigned to let them be birthed are content to sit back and let them live in squalor.

We shall see in the coming years if Sister Joan Chittister's remarks from 2004 were wrong or right.
    You do realize that abortion numbers have fallen for the last couple decades, right?

Even at 1970 levels - which weren't the highest birth rates but we can't all be Boomers - and assuming that none of these girls were forced (many were) or would have used birth control more carefully (to be fair, the pill wasn't fun in its early days) the Us could still have easily handled the extra 62 million over fifty years. Many of them would be grandparents themselves now.

Maybe you haven't heard but the US is the largest economy in the world. We spend more on defense in a year than most nations have in their entire treasuries.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The language was somewhat archaic but I think we both know what I intended. So it remains to be seen if the American Right and the Religious Right will be prepared [if it comes to it] to be prepared to contribute to the financial wherewithal to care for all those children they have so assiduously campaigned to save [many of whom may possibly be black]. And will Sister Joan be proved wrong or right?
      We've been LITERALLY doing that for fifty years - why do you think we bother with pregnancy centers?

Go watch the movie Raising Isaiah. The Democrats played on the fears of American black people - and their bigotry - to prevent white people from adopting black children in the US. The result was many adopted abroad and a lot of black orphans never got a chance to have a home of their own.

Nowadays, it's still uncommon but it does happen. So does the converse, although most commonly after a blended family.

A guy in my church a few years back told a funny story about his youngest and her tendency to run off, especially in stores. He always found her but there would be a moment of 'how the heck do I tell the clerks that she's white?'
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I think they realize it will be much harder to craft legislation in favor of abortion now that they can no longer hide behind Roe v Wade. The issue will actually have to be taken up, bills written and openly debated, and votes cast on the record. A lot easier to say, "I don't agree, but it's your right," than it is to positively affirm it
        And harder to keep it. The country is swinging to the right and it is showing in most states.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Merrick Garland chillingly says the Department of Justice will do everything it can to defend abortion. Perhaps somebody should let him know that it's no longer a matter for the federal government.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

I haven't seen it myself. When I look it up, I'm seeing 6-3. I'll try to find the decision itself tonight.
            The quick version: It was 6-3 in upholding the Missouri law in question, but 5-4 in overturning Roe v. Wade/Planned Parenthood v. Casey entirely. One of the 6 thought the court case could have been decided by simply discarding the "viability rule" that was set in Casey (which basically said that prior to viability the state can't put any undue burden on a woman who wants an abortion), which would allow the law in question to stay in place, and therefore there was no need in the case to decide the broader question whether there was a constitutional right to abortion to begin with.

Comment

• It's 6-3.

Roberts concurred in judgment - fancy for I'm voting for the decision because it is correct but I don't agree with the reasoning.

Still counts since he is voting for the same outcome.

Also I freaking hate Microsoft Edge! It messed up the way my computer opens pdf's! Once I finally figured that out Alito wrote a danged novel with TWO appendices almost as long. Roberts' concurrence was third!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                The quick version: It was 6-3 in upholding the Missouri law in question, but 5-4 in overturning Roe v. Wade/Planned Parenthood v. Casey entirely. One of the 6 thought the court case could have been decided by simply discarding the "viability rule" that was set in Casey (which basically said that prior to viability the state can't put any undue burden on a woman who wants an abortion), which would allow the law in question to stay in place, and therefore there was no need in the case to decide the broader question whether there was a constitutional right to abortion to begin with.
                Yeah, I saw Roberts' concurrence. It's recorded as 6-3. The dissent from the reasoning doesn't count as a separate vote.

Does confuse everyone though.

Don't care - that accused decision is DEAD!

And tomorrow I get to read Thomas' concurrence!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

• The talking point that conservatives want to go after Loving v. Virginia next is one of the most disingenuous things ever. For one, there's an obvious reason Clarence Thomas didn't list it among the decisions he wanted to go after next. Also, there's simply not a political appetite for it. No state is going to argue it. The number of people who want to make interracial marriage illegal isn't zero (my late grandmother was staunchly opposed to it), but it's negligible.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    The talking point that conservatives want to go after Loving v. Virginia next is one of the most disingenuous things ever. For one, there's an obvious reason Clarence Thomas didn't list it among the decisions he wanted to go after next. Also, there's simply not a political appetite for it. No state is going to argue it. The number of people who want to make interracial marriage illegal isn't zero (my late grandmother was staunchly opposed to it), but it's negligible.
                    It's just leftist scaremongering, midterm fodder.

However, I do hear that they may look at gay marriage next.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

It's just leftist scaremongering, midterm fodder.

However, I do hear that they may look at gay marriage next.
                      Thomas's dissent specifically mentioned Griswold, Obgerfell, and Lawrence. Though that was only him.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Sounds like pro-abortion protestors tried to storm the Arizona Senate Building. June 24th Insurrection?

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/stat...42633977622528

Video of the mob trying to break through the glass doors:
                        https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...52258127101952
                        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 06-25-2022, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Thomas's dissent specifically mentioned Griswold, Obgerfell, and Lawrence. Though that was only him.
                          Concurrence, not dissent.

I wish he hadn't done that. It just gives easier ammunition to those who are trying to fearmonger. Absolutely nothing is going to happen in terms of contraceptive access or gay sex if Griswold or Lawrence were overruled anyway, there's simply not legislative desire to either ban usage of non-abortifacient contraceptives nor to ban gay sex.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                            Sounds like pro-abortion protestors tried to storm the Arizona Senate Building. June 24th Insurrection?

https://twitter.com/brahmresnik/stat...42633977622528

Video of the mob trying to break through the glass doors:
                            https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status...52258127101952
                            The monkeys were also hooting and screeching and tossing odds and ends at windows at Fox News for a brief time, according to one of the reporters.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                              Concurrence, not dissent.

I wish he hadn't done that. It just gives easier ammunition to those who are trying to fearmonger. Absolutely nothing is going to happen in terms of contraceptive access or gay sex if Griswold or Lawrence were overruled anyway, there's simply not legislative desire to either ban usage of non-abortifacient contraceptives nor to ban gay sex.
                              It was possibly imprudent on his part. It doesn't even mean he's opposed to the outcome of any of them, just that he disagrees with the legal reasoning.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Let's be real. They're angry because the prince of this world, their father, is angry human sacrifices to him have been obstructed. Though, of course, they don't know this.
                                Jordan Peterson reads to us, a few days ago:

Not directly on point, but relevant to the ethos, I think.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment