Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, leaves issue up to states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

They try to wrap their thirst for the blood of unborn children in a cheap veneer of compassion.
    Just wait til they figure out how many votes they're killing every year.

(But, then again, voting from the grave is nothing new for Democrats)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

The liberals always pretend to care about the poor. Welfare, ya know.
      Well it may come to that. Welfare and more of it. Unless of course having had all these future babies born, the American conservatives and the religious right who have campaigned to let them be birthed are content to sit back and let them live in squalor.

We shall see in the coming years if Sister Joan Chittister's remarks from 2004 were wrong or right.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        Well it may come to that. Welfare and more of it. Unless of course having had all these future babies born, the American conservatives and the religious right who have campaigned to let them be birthed are content to sit back and let them live in squalor.
        "to let them be birthed". Wow, what a concept! As opposed to snuffing out their lives prematurely. Sounds like pro-choice!!! LET THEM BE BIRTHED!!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"to let them be birthed". Wow, what a concept! As opposed to snuffing out their lives prematurely. Sounds like pro-choice!!! LET THEM BE BIRTHED!!!!
          The language was somewhat archaic but I think we both know what I intended. So it remains to be seen if the American Right and the Religious Right will be prepared [if it comes to it] to be prepared to contribute to the financial wherewithal to care for all those children they have so assiduously campaigned to save [many of whom may possibly be black]. And will Sister Joan be proved wrong or right?
          Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 06-24-2022, 05:41 PM.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

"stop doing Christianity"?

You know, in the US, you can actually move from state to state without special papers!

AND..... tons of people are leaving Blue States for Red States --- maybe the abortion tourists can backfill the vacancy!
            Something to do with taxes and wage policies? Blues moving to red states dilutes the red population.

Keep listening to Andrew - lots of very important stuff going down.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

"Authorities Warn Tonight's Protests May Escalate From 'Mostly Peaceful' To 'Somewhat Peaceful'"
              -The Babylon Bee

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

We shall see in the coming years if Sister Joan Chittister's remarks from 2004 were wrong or right.
                "Think of all the terrible things that could happen if we don't slaughter the unborn!" is an astonishingly perverse argument.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

They try to wrap their thirst for the blood of unborn children in a cheap veneer of compassion.
                  An unborn child is not a thing, by definition of ‘child’. Your position is based on lies and hypocrisy, and it will fail and bring your estate to ruin.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

"Think of all the terrible things that could happen if we don't slaughter the unborn!" is an astonishingly perverse argument.
                    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am just interested in how all this is going to pan out. If the present adoption services and demand can cope - then great it will all have worked out beautifully.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                      I'm gonna need more popcorn as I watch liberals have total metal-downs. As if Roe v. Woe wasn't built on spurious legal reasoning anyways. Which is a whole separate issue from the morality or ethics of abortion.

All this means is that states can decide for themselves, so now the game in on for pro-life advocates. Time to get busy!
                      Precisely.

Over the years various members have posted essays from a number of moderate to liberal legal scholars decrying the faulty, sloppy reasoning that Roe (and a few other similar decisions) was based upon.

As an aside, many on the left have been complaining we need to get rid of undemocratic institutions and processes such as the filibuster, the Electoral College and the apportioning of two Senators per state.

Today, the Supreme Court undid a decision made by 9 non-birthing units for everyone and sent it back for each state to decide. For the people and their elected officials in each state to decide for themselves what is the best course for their state.

But the left doesn't like that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I'm hearing different things - was this a 6-3 or 5-4 decision.
                        It was 6-3 in upholding the law in question (which banned abortion after 15 weeks). It was 5-4 in completely overturning Roe v. Wade.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post

An unborn child is not a thing, by definition of ‘child’. Your position is based on lies and hypocrisy, and it will fail and bring your estate to ruin.
                          Hitler is smiling up at you from hell.

Comment

I think President Trump deserves some credit for this, because without his Supreme Court nominations, this would never have happened.
                            He does. I don't like Trump much, but he still did do some good things as president, and he absolutely deserves credit for this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Precisely.

Over the years various members have posted essays from a number of moderate to liberal legal scholars decrying the faulty, sloppy reasoning that Roe (and a few other similar decisions) was based upon.

As an aside, many on the left have been complaining we need to get rid of undemocratic institutions and processes such as the filibuster, the Electoral College and the apportioning of two Senators per state.

Today, the Supreme Court undid a decision made by 9 non-birthing units for everyone and sent it back for each state to decide. For the people and their elected officials in each state to decide for themselves what is the best course for their state.

But the left doesn't like that.
                              I think they realize it will be much harder to craft legislation in favor of abortion now that they can no longer hide behind Roe v Wade. The issue will actually have to be taken up, bills written and openly debated, and votes cast on the record. A lot easier to say, "I don't agree, but it's your right," than it is to positively affirm it
                              Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-24-2022, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                                Something to do with taxes and wage policies?
                                High taxes, high crime, strict gun control, high cost of living, even if you make more money everything costs more.

Blues moving to red states dilutes the red population.
                                Karl Rove assures us that people fleeing blue states are also fleeing the crap-holes that blue politicians create.

Anecdotally, I was just in Cali last week, and we ubered a lot --- every one of the uber drivers complained about Cali's horrid living conditions (except for the weather) and promised they were moving to a Red State without their politics. Oh, except Ibrihim - he didn't speak English.

Comment