Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, leaves issue up to states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Just popping in here to express my surprise that it came to pass. Ever since the leak I think it became clear that something like this would be their decision.

I'm doing well these days, focusing on my work and health, right now transitioning to a role as manager which is a nice step forward. I'm glad to see the website is still humming. I wish you all well.
    Wow, I just had one of those "flooding memories" ---- I thought Leonhard had been here!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Just popping in here to express my surprise that it came to pass. Ever since the leak I think it became clear that something like this would be their decision.

I'm doing well these days, focusing on my work and health, right now transitioning to a role as manager which is a nice step forward. I'm glad to see the website is still humming. I wish you all well.
      A Leo sighting!

Glad to hear that you are well and hope you continue to be so.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We miss you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The Democrats have not been so angry since Lincoln freed the slaves.

Comment

Biden is making a very ANGRY speech, rather than calling for calm.

He just went from "thundering anger" to a cough, and now he's doing the "off script" thing... almost the creepy whisper.

And he's calling for Congress to "restore" this "right" through federal law.

He has a TREMENDOUS opportunity to call for calm in the face of all that "Jane's Revenge" (or whatever it was) and the threats and attacks against SCOTUS members.
            Instead, he's fanning the flames.

What an absolute turd.

EDIT --- I take that back - he's only reading (stumbling through) what "They" have scripted for him to say.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Back to the anger speaking!

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                The Democrats have not been so angry since Lincoln freed the slaves.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

OK, now he's calling for calm (after his angry goofus speech) - peaceful --- no intimidation. At least he's saying it.

Comment

AND... his little idiot instruction card must have said "turn and walk away - do NOT take questions".

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Biden is making a very ANGRY speech, rather than calling for calm.

He just went from "thundering anger" to a cough, and now he's doing the "off script" thing... almost the creepy whisper.

And he's calling for Congress to "restore" this "right" through federal law.

He has a TREMENDOUS opportunity to call for calm in the face of all that "Jane's Revenge" (or whatever it was) and the threats and attacks against SCOTUS members.
                      Instead, he's fanning the flames.

What an absolute turd.

EDIT --- I take that back - he's only reading (stumbling through) what "They" have scripted for him to say.
                      Not long before old Joe came on, NBC's political director and host of Meet the Press, Chuck Todd, was quite upset. He called the Supreme Court "rigged" and complained

"This Court's makeup isn't fair and square. It isn't representative of where the country is and even was"

And to think that there once was a time that I used to think he was a bit smarter than your typical news reader. That illusion was dashed long time ago but he just keeps demonstrating why.

1. technically he used the traditional weaselly way a reporter conveys their personal opinion by couch it in terms like "they say" and "some say" -- which is what Todd did here, although he used "there's a lot of people who believe"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        AND... his little idiot instruction card must have said "turn and walk away - do NOT take questions".
                        "YOU turn and walk away. YOU do not answer any questions."

I read a comment wondering if the card originally simply said "You", but Joe got confused, so they had to emphasize it as "YOU", so he knew the instruction was intended for him.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          Praise be to GOD!!!!

Ding, dong, the witch is dead!
                          I'm hearing different things - was this a 6-3 or 5-4 decision.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I think it was both -- two different aspects.
                            lemme double check.

WASHINGTON, June 24 (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Friday took the dramatic step of overturning the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling that recognized a woman's constitutional right to an abortion and legalized it nationwide, handing a momentous victory to Republicans and religious conservatives who want to limit or ban the procedure.

The court, in a 6-3 ruling powered by its conservative majority, upheld a Republican-backed Mississippi law that bans abortion after 15 weeks of pregnancy. The vote was 5-4 to overturn Roe, with Chief Justice John Roberts writing separately to say he would have upheld the Mississippi law but not taken the additional step of erasing the Roe precedent altogether.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-24-2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I think it was 5+1 for, 3 against. The +1 was a justice who gave his own summary rather than contributing to the joint summary.
                              Last edited by tabibito; 06-24-2022, 12:36 PM.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I will go back to my original thought. I expect that, without concrete discrete incidents, the protests will die out.
                                They've been going around and firebombing pro-life (which have little to do with the "pro-choice" issue) facilities and churches this whole time. It just hasn't been getting much national attention.

Perhaps going out in the streets and destroying things might wane, while being replaced with actual increased organized terror attacks that continue to fly below the MSM radar.

Comment