Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, leaves issue up to states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
    The 2020 act removed any criminal penalties for violating the law regarding late-term abortions, and took away oversight that was designed to make sure the law was being followed.

That's what they were celebrating.

image_35255.jpg
    Please note the word he used

So you got a law still on the books(?) that all penalties for breaking it have been eliminated. It literally removed the law from New York's penal code. And for good measure it removed the requirement that a second doctor be on hand to observe the procedure and protect the rights of the baby if it is born.

Typically, liberals dismiss it as unnecessary because by New York law considers anyone born alive to legally be considered a human being.

And that's just it.

Now, that there is no sanction against aborting a baby right up to birth, and there is now nobody monitoring what was actually done, they legalized abortion right up to birth because only at birth does the baby is legally recognized as a person by the state and killing it at that point or beyond becomes homicide. Anything before that line, is perfectly legal -- or shall we say there aren't any legal consequences for ignoring any. So, a suggestion.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The 2020 act removed any criminal penalties for violating the law regarding late-term abortions, and took away oversight that was designed to make sure the law was being followed.

That's what they were celebrating.

image_35255.jpg
      Please note the word he used

So you got a law still on the books(?) that all penalties for breaking it have been eliminated. It literally removed the law from New York's penal code. And for good measure it removed the requirement that a second doctor be on hand to observe the procedure and protect the rights of the baby if it is born.

Typically, liberals dismiss it as unnecessary because by New York law considers anyone born alive to legally be considered a human being.

And that's just it.

Now, that there is no sanction against aborting a baby right up to birth, and there is now nobody monitoring what was actually done, they legalized abortion right up to birth because only at birth does the baby is legally recognized as a person by the state and killing it at that point or beyond becomes homicide. Anything before that line, is perfectly legal -- or shall we say there aren't any legal consequences for ignoring any. So, a suggestion.

I have read the FAQ and it all looks dandy to me.
      https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/ar...ive-health-act

The RHA does not permit abortions to be performed up to the moment of birth, nor do women decide to have an abortion up to that point. Misinformation about the RHA seeks to convince people that after women have gone into labor, which could last minutes, hours, or days, they decide to have an abortion. This is simply not accurate. Furthermore, this is a false representation of medical standards of practice, as well as the ethical guidelines and laws that medical providers must follow.

When abortions are performed later in pregnancy, it is because they are medically necessary due to the fetus not being viable or the woman’s health or life being at risk. Fetal anomalies are frequently detected during the third trimester and medical conditions that put a woman’s health at risk can occur at any time during pregnancy. If a woman’s health or life are at risk during labor or delivery, medical providers will work to save the lives of the woman and the fetus.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Frank Schaeffer, the son of Francis, now deeply regrets his involvement with the anti-abortion movement and his encouragement of his father to join with it in the 1970s.

In an interview on CNN he compares his involvement with the anti-abortion movement and how it has developed in the intervening years, with that of someone in Europe in the 1930s who joined a fascist group and then as the 1930s continued and WW2 eventually took place, witnessing to what their support ultimately led.

He also points out that the rise of this anti-abortion and anti-gay Moral Majority was linked to power and money and describes Jerry Falwell Snr as "a nasty piece of work". He also notes that many in the Republican Party realised the potential power it could wield if this hitherto somewhat disinterested group of evangelicals could be encouraged to get out and vote.

It is also interesting that in the interview he not only noted that the Trump appointees to the SCOTUS were dishonest in their hearings where they stated they would not try and overturn Roe vs Wade; and that overturning Roe vs. Wade might not be the end of the matter.

Given Justice Thomas' later opinion in that ruling it does suggest that Mr Schaeffer may be right.

The interview is here and was made prior to the events of June 24.

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/20...scotus-roe.cnn
        Well done you. I think you are doing great work.
        A snippet from WaPo:
        The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) joined numerous other professional organizations and medical journals over the past few days in warning that the ruling will affect health care beyond abortion, creating new risks for patients and potentially increasing maternal mortality. Doctors have expressed concern about the impact on situations including miscarriage and in vitro fertilization. The practice of medicine will be reshaped, the group said, or even contradicted “by laws not founded in science or based on evidence.”
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Had to run up to get groceries and decided to listen to the noon news on the Black Information Network to catch their news.

I tuned into the last 7-8 minutes before the news and the host was on a rant about the J6 hearings calling it a farce. Basically he said while there was a lot of important news broken yesterday the MSM focused on the claim Trump attacked his driver and now that this claim is under serious questioning that the committee can now shut down as nothing but a joke. As he said, Hutchinson might have a bunch of important information but she has now totally discredited herself and has turned Trump into a victim who folks will start rallying around as a result.

Oh, and according to the news, the Republicans have not been hurt in the least by either the SCOTUS decision on guns or abortion. They are now doing even better in the generic candidate polling and old Joe's approval numbers has dropped even lower.
          Hutchinson was not a first hand witness to the incident in the car. But she was told about it. J6 will no doubt want to question those present in the car.

Trumplovers are making a big deal out of very little but I think we are moving towards some serious legal action against Trump’s CoS.

Comment

Hutchinson was not a first hand witness to the incident in the car. But she was told about it.
            Actually, this is one of the major problems of "hearsay" --- she CLAIMS she was told about it. We really don't know that.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Do you think it’s too late to abort Boebert?
              Boebert just beat her Republican opponent soundly. In fact, I believe she pulled in more votes than all the votes for the Democrat candidates and her Republican opponent combined.

I'm afraid she's not going anywhere, except maybe to some higher offices.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I am not entirely sure what all that has to do with the interview with Frank Schaeffer.
                Point vs. Counterpoint.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Actually, this is one of the major problems of "hearsay" --- she CLAIMS she was told about it. We really don't know that.
                  I agree. J6 is a facts gathering process, not a trial. They are doing a good job of getting an accurate picture of what happened and what was going on behind the scenes despite a few bad actors doing their best to hinder and delay. It seems that there are some ongoing attempts at witness intimidation from the Trump goons which must be attracting the attention of DoJ.

Comment

I agree. J6 is a CIRCUS, not a trial.
                    Fixed it for ya, ff.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That's argument by weblink, ff, and not really allowed. On the other hand, it's nowhere near as psychotic and stupid as what you've been posting of late, so...
                      I’ve been thinking about you CP and I see hopeful signs. I was reminded of a great sci-if movie starring Donald Sutherland called Invasion of the Body Snatchers - as a metaphor for the big lie. I hope you see that too and you appreciate the danger that still persists, as Michael Luttig pointed out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Boebert just beat her Republican opponent soundly. In fact, I believe she pulled in more votes than all the votes for the Democrat candidates and her Republican opponent combined.

I'm afraid she's not going anywhere, except maybe to some higher offices.
                        If this movement continues to gather strength, it will split the country into two parts, possibly at war with each other. One part a theocratic autocracy, the other a democracy, both making claim to the same founding fathers. What a mess!

Comment

If this movement continues to gather strength, it will split the country into two parts, possibly at war with each other. One part a theocratic autocracy, the other a democracy, both making claim to the same founding fathers. What a mess!
                          There's not going to be a theocracy, and there won't be any war in the traditional sense. But I can see a major division coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

There's not going to be a theocracy, and there won't be any war in the traditional sense. But I can see a major division coming.
                            Yes. Blue states and Red states who hate each other. Definitely not United States. The difference more defined now by the SCOTUS ruling. Could SCOTUS itself split into SCOTRS and SCOTBS?

Comment

• The fascists want to prevent free movement:

The National Association of Christian Lawmakers, an antiabortion organization led by Republican state legislators, has begun working with the authors of the Texas abortion ban to explore model legislation that would restrict people from crossing state lines for abortions, said Texas state representative Tom Oliverson (R), the charter chair of the group’s national legislative council.
                              Very un-American by any standard.
                              Americans, resist fascist leadership. Quit your Church!

Comment

Yes. Blue states and Red states who hate each other. Definitely not United States. The difference more defined now by the SCOTUS ruling. Could SCOTUS itself split into SCOTRS and SCOTBS?
                                I mean states could start trying to impose sanctions on the other states...oh wait liberal california has already let that genie out of the bottle under trump.

Comment