Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, leaves issue up to states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

So, between Gay and Lesbian relationships not resulting in natural births, and liberal women killing off their own, it's like liberals are trying to extinct themselves, along with those who would vote for them.
    Well that explains the concerted grooming effort on schoolchildren to create more of them.....

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
      “Victory for white life” gives the game away.
      white women are to be used to breed the master race, or be punished if they refuse.
      Sounds great.
      "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• I predict that the first woman to be jailed following a natural miscarriage (she will be convicted of self induced abortion) will be black.

The mob outside the jailhouse will chant: You kill your zygote and we gonna kill you.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I predict that the first woman to be jailed following a natural miscarriage (she will be convicted of self induced abortion) will be black.

The mob outside the jailhouse will chant: You kill your zygote and we gonna kill you.
          Now there's the dipsy doodle troll we all love.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Meanwhile, American Public Schools are in the tank, they've been controlled by the Democrats for decades, they are run by Unions, and it's almost impossible to fire a bad teacher.
            This is why "school choice" is becoming such a hot button issue.
            Well I got to chapter 16 but could not finish it - I may have another go in the next few weeks.

I can only observe that this work was a polemic that illustrated the author's own pet topics - particularly phonics which has its own critics as a reading programme. My own response to this system of reading is to ask how does it deal with the prevalence in English of homophones/homonyms? How does a child taught to read solely by phonics differentiate between flower and flour? Both are common nouns. How does that child recognise that the word bow functions both as a common noun and a verb and [at least in British English has two separate pronunciations]? Those are the things that catch a foreigner learning English.

I do not consider this work to be either dispassionate or balanced. These were the views of an extremely right-wing American Christian convert expressing his near paranoia about Communists, Marxists, and the USSR and the fear of infiltration/domination by the "evil Empire" into the USA.

However, given his fixation on the benefits of phonics reading programmes at the expense of look and say programmes one might opine that he was just as much a zealot for his own cause as the progressives he criticised were for theirs.

He was clearly anti-union [and for all the usual reasons one would expect from someone of his political persuasion] and according to his 2015 obituary in The Boston Globe ] not averse to torture. In that report the writer {Bryan Marquard] alleges Blumenfeld compared it to the abuse of children in schools by Catholic nuns.

So thank you for giving me the opportunity to read the words of an individual whom I would otherwise never have known about.

"It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Well I got to chapter 16 but could not finish it - I may have another go in the next few weeks.

I can only observe that this work was a polemic that illustrated the author's own pet topics - particularly phonics which has its own critics as a reading programme. My own response to this system of reading is to ask how does it deal with the prevalence in English of homophones/homonyms? How does a child taught to read solely by phonics differentiate between flower and flour? Both are common nouns. How does that child recognise that the word bow functions both as a common noun and a verb and [at least in British English has two separate pronunciations]? Those are the things that catch a foreigner learning English.

I do not consider this work to be either dispassionate or balanced. These were the views of an extremely right-wing American Christian convert expressing his near paranoia about Communists, Marxists, and the USSR and the fear of infiltration/domination by the "evil Empire" into the USA.

However, given his fixation on the benefits of phonics reading programmes at the expense of look and say programmes one might opine that he was just as much a zealot for his own cause as the progressives he criticised were for theirs.

He was clearly anti-union [and for all the usual reasons one would expect from someone of his political persuasion] and according to his 2015 obituary in The Boston Globe ] not averse to torture. In that report the writer {Bryan Marquard] alleges Blumenfeld compared it to the abuse of children in schools by Catholic nuns.
                He's driving home a point, so I wouldn't expect "balance".
                How bout reading some stuff from the NEA and trying to find "balance".
                He's presenting "the other side".

So thank you for giving me the opportunity to read the words of an individual whom I would otherwise never have known about.
                My pleasure. And I don't think he's as much "anti-union" as he is "anti-public sector union". Do you understand the difference?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I predict that the first woman to be jailed following a natural miscarriage (she will be convicted of self induced abortion) will be black.

Does the fever rise above 38 Celsius on a regular basis?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Well that explains the concerted grooming effort on schoolchildren to create more of them.....
                    That's long been "a thing" --- they can't naturally reproduce, so the only option is recruitment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

Our last 8 weeks of mass have had her name on the intentions list. The Bishop has forbidden any pro choice politicians from receiving communion in our diocese.
                      Can you expound on "intentions list", please?

Comment

He's driving home a point, so I wouldn't expect "balance".
                        How bout reading some stuff from the NEA and trying to find "balance".
                        He's presenting "the other side".
                        A sober and dispassionate account would have presented him in a better light [in my opinion]. His language is rather that of the "tub thumper" variety.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        My pleasure. And I don't think he's as much "anti-union" as he is "anti-public sector union". Do you understand the difference?
                        I have no issues with public sector employees belonging to unions.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That's long been "a thing" --- they can't naturally reproduce, so the only option is recruitment.
                          Ahem - excuse me - have you heard of sperm and ova donors? They help heterosexual couples who "can't naturally reproduce" .
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

A sober and dispassionate account would have presented him in a better light [in my opinion]. His language is rather that of the "tub thumper" variety.
                            Yet so much of what he said is evident in the poor quality of public education in the US.

I have no issues with public sector employees belonging to unions.
                            Can you give a brief overview of what unions are in the US, as opposed to what public sector unions are in the US?

Comment

Yet so much of what he said is evident in the poor quality of public education in the US.
                              He ignores other reasons for why children are not reading and literacy rates are falling. Consider the impact of television in the USA in the early fifties. It is now even worse with computers, tablets, smartphones. Contemporary society is less language based and more image based. There is also a popular attitude towards regarding education as of less value.

I suspect that if a random group of fourteen and fifteen year old Americans were asked to rank careers/occupations in order of preference those at the top would be the ones that make a lot of money - influencers, singers, performers, and "celebrities" of various kinds. The sad fact appears to be that education for its own sake is no longer valued and in your country you have also had the malign and pernicious influence and interference of certain religious groups, particularly with regard to sciences and especially biology

Over here in secular Europe no one would have found [as did the University of Texas in 1988] one in four public school biology teachers alleging that dinosaurs and humans inhabited this planet at the same time.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Can you give a brief overview of what unions are in the US, as opposed to what public sector unions are in the US?
                              Public sector unions represent workers in the public sector. Other unions represent workers in other industries.
                              Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 06-27-2022, 07:37 AM.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

He ignores other reasons for why children are not reading and literacy rates are falling. Consider the impact of television in the USA in the early fifties. It is ow even worse with computes, tablets, smartphones. Contemporary society is less language based and more image based. There is also a popular attitude towards regarding education as of less value.
                                Yes, he's making a point. Perhaps you'd agree that the English Language is a bit odd on the stage compared to other major languages of the world?
                                And there was a whole very profitable industry "Hooked on Phonics" because parents were concerned their children were not learning to read.
                                Additionally, parents are removing their children from the public school system in droves because it's a disaster.

I suspect that if a random group of fourteen and fifteen year old Americans were asked to rank careers/occupations in order of preference those at the top would be the ones that make a lot of money - influencers, singers, performers, and "celebrities" of various kinds. The sad fact appears to be that education for its own sake is no longer valued and in your country you have also had the malign and pernicious influence and interference of certain religious groups, particularly with regard to sciences in particular biology

Over here in secular Europe no one would have found [as did the University of Texas in 1988] one in four public school biology teachers alleging that dinosaurs and humans inhabited this planet at the same time.
                                Wow, now THERE is a stretch! Children can't read because of "Creation Science".
                                See, here's where you start to veer off from serious discussion into absolute nonsense. Let's not do that, eh?

Why Johnny Can't Read—And What You Can Do About It is a 1955 book-length exposé on American reading education by Rudolf Flesch. It was an immediate bestseller for 37 weeks and became an educational cause célèbre.

Why Johnny Can't Read
                                Why Johnny Still Can't Read -- And What To Do About It
                                Why Johnny Can't Add

Public sector unions represent workers in the public sector. Other unions represent workers in other industries.
                                OK, so I frequently use the examples of police and teachers.

Both of those functions are funded by the public - hence, "public sector".
                                Both of those public sector unions frequently represent their dues-paying members to the detriment of the public.
                                Why is that good?

Comment