Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, leaves issue up to states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Reading through the first two chapters I can understand why you admire this work with its references to progressives, Marxism, and religion.

First impressions no bibliography and some unsupported statements.

To wit:

In fact, the historical evidence indicates that prior to the introduction of public education and compulsory school attendance, Americans were probably the most literate people in the world. [p.2]

What historical evidence for all thirteen colonies is he referencing? He only mentions New England and the reader is left to do any subsequent research. Various comments are made about Massachusetts but again there is no source evidence provided.

On the same page:

And certainly the problem was not economic, for the poor could always get an education if they wanted it. In some towns there were more charity and free schools, supported by private philanthropy and school funds, than poor pupils to go round. In Pennsylvania, for example, the state paid the tuition of any child whose parents could not afford to send him to a private school.

Not one contemporary source is provided. Again the reader has to do their own research.

Reading further on today this seems a highly polemical work and on occasion Blumenfeld lets his prejudices colour his judgement. I have not yet reached Part Three but as he was a keen advocate of Phonics [which has its own critics ] I can see from the chapter headings why he was so against the promulgation of the See and Say system. From some online reading both sides still appear divided.

One might also ask why, in the 1980s, after twenty years of this progressive Left wing [subtext Marxist] influence on US public schools, children from the US system achieved lower test results in science and mathematics than their contemporaries in the [then] Soviet Union.
    Meanwhile, American Public Schools are in the tank, they've been controlled by the Democrats for decades, they are run by Unions, and it's almost impossible to fire a bad teacher.
    This is why "school choice" is becoming such a hot button issue.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• “Victory for white life” gives the game away.
      white women are to be used to breed the master race, or be punished if they refuse.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        “Victory for white life” gives the game away.
        Calling it "victory for white life" shows what an idiot somebody is.

white women are to be used to breed the master race, or be punished if they refuse.
        FF, buddy, take a look around --- are there bars on your windows, and doctors and nurses walking around.... do they keep having you take meds every 4 hours?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          I've been wondering if Liberals are rethinking their position that the Constitution is a living document that changes as each generation needs it to?
          When exactly did history stop? A building needs a sound foundation, and a practical and adaptable superstructure. Only fools think the work is ever finished.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

When exactly did history stop? A building needs a sound foundation, and a practical and adaptable superstructure. Only fools think the work is ever finished.
            I'm thinking you don't know much about building, FF.
            You start with a firm foundation - our Constitution, and you build a Nation.
            To mess with the foundation after you've begun building is insanity.

The Bill of Rights was added without changing the foundation.

Comment

“Victory for white life” gives the game away.
              You're a truly dimwitted troll.

The reality is, this is a victory for 'black life'. After all, 20 million black babies have been slaughtered in the womb in the last 50 years under Roe. At the time Roe was decided, there were around 23 million black people TOTAL living in the US. Just think what the black population in the US could be today if the organization started by Margaret Sanger to limit the amount of non-white folks, had not been victorious for 50 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

FF, buddy, take a look around --- are there bars on your windows, and doctors and nurses walking around.... do they keep having you take meds every 4 hours?
                America is leaving the modern world behind and building a dystopia. Europeans are once again alarmed by the direction (backwards) being taken. America is being compared with the Taliban. It won’t be long before you are throwing gays off rooftops.

I hope you have been listening to the J6 hearings. I hear that they are not being covered by right wing News.

I honestly regret to advise you that the insanity is all yours.

Next up is fetal personhood, which will endow all American women with the same status as cattle. A new American dark ages has arrived.

Comment

America is leaving the modern world behind and building a dystopia. Europeans are once again alarmed by the direction (backwards) being taken. America is being compared with the Taliban. It won’t be long before you are throwing gays off rooftops.

I hope you have been listening to the J6 hearings. I hear that they are not being covered by right wing News.

I honestly regret to advise you that the insanity is all yours.

Next up is fetal personhood, which will endow all American women with the same status as cattle. A new American dark ages has arrived.
                  Just do what the doctors and nurses say, FF, and make sure that thermometer in your mouth is not a rectal one.

Comment

Indeed. Last I heard, the rate of blacks having abortions was several times higher than whites.

So the decision is saving the lives of a lot of black babies.

As an aside, the majority of those aborted by all races are females.

Another aspect of the left's actual War on Women.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Indeed. Last I heard, the rate of blacks having abortions was several times higher than whites.

So the decision is saving the lives of a lot of black babies.

As an aside, the majority of those aborted by all races are females.

Another aspect of the left's actual War on Women.
                      So, between Gay and Lesbian relationships not resulting in natural births, and liberal women killing off their own, it's like liberals are trying to extinct themselves, along with those who would vote for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by dirfloor View Post

I don't know how buildings are constructed where you live, but here in the US, there is a definite point when the construction crew stops because the work is finished. What you describe sounds like one of those millionaire vanity (insanity?) projects where they continue to haphazardly add on to their mansion with no rhyme or reason creating a disjointed mess.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Just do what the doctors and nurses say, FF, and make sure that thermometer in your mouth is not a rectal one.
                          Well, considering where his head is lodged...
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I don't know how buildings are constructed where you live, but here in the US, there is a definite point when the construction crew stops because the work is finished. What you describe sounds like one of those millionaire vanity (insanity?) projects where they continue to haphazardly add on to their mansion with no rhyme or reason creating a disjointed mess.
                            the Winchester Mystery house in San Jose, Ca is a prime example of how much of a disjointed mess when you dont stop building.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post

the Winchester Mystery house in San Jose, Ca is a prime example of how much of a disjointed mess when you dont stop building.
                              That's something I've always been interested in visiting though realistically I have no plans on ever traveling to California (unless I get on one of the game shows I've applied for, and those film in LA anyway).
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post

Further endangering her soul. Lord have mercy.
                                Our last 8 weeks of mass have had her name on the intentions list. The Bishop has forbidden any pro choice politicians from receiving communion in our diocese.
                                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment