Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Liz Cheney Is Begging Democrats To Save Her Career In Upcoming Wyoming Primary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

My least favorite line from A New Hope.

I think you're both missing her strategy. She's not running as a Republican in strategy - she's running as a Democrat. She's trying to draw enough Democrat support that she can carry the election.

I suspect this is just an overt version of her normal strategy.
    Oh, no. I spelled out that the goal is to appeal to democrats, and hope that their votes outweigh the loss of republican votes she'll get by making this appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Actually, the question was, "Would you definitely vote for or definitely vote against a candidate for Congress who supports a national red flag law, that is, a gun control law that allows police or family members to request that a judge temporarily removes guns from a person who may be a danger to others or themselves?"

I think it's a dumb way to ask the question, because I would answer "Unsure" to that and most of their other questions, because I'd need to know more about the candidate's other positions. But the fact that 60% of Republicans said they would definitely vote for such a candidate probably means something. Especially in the absence of polls reaching the opposite result. (I know Rasmussen has asked the question recently, and said that voters overwhelmingly support red flag laws, but I'm not willing to pay to see the party breakdown.)
      No it's not significant. Even Trump hinted at his support of red flag laws. You can have a Republican politician that you support in most other areas in spite of their stance on red flag laws. I think it shows more that Reps don't think in terms of black and white and are more nuanced in their voting decisions, and their firm stance on protecting gun rights (even in spite of the disingenuous way the question options were framed) further supports that view.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

No it's not significant. Even Trump hinted at his support of red flag laws. You can have a Republican politician that you support in most other areas in spite of their stance on red flag laws. I think it shows more that Reps don't think in terms of black and white and are more nuanced in their voting decisions, and their firm stance on protecting gun rights (even in spite of the disingenuous way the question options were framed) further supports that view.
        So it's okay for Republicans to support a RINO that they support in most other areas in spite of their stance on red flag laws?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

So it's okay for Republicans to support a RINO that they support in most other areas in spite of their stance on red flag laws?
          I don't speak for Republicans. Personally, as a conservative, it would depend on the situation. Just because a Rep supports an asinine law doesn't mean it'll get passed through the house.

Comment

Saw a lot of Cheney in the news today. Strikes me as she is desperate to remain relevant. I think her career as a politician is over.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
              Saw a lot of Cheney in the news today. Strikes me as she is desperate to remain relevant. I think her career as a politician is over.
              Maybe her concentrated effort at getting a spot on msnbc or the View. This might do it.

Comment

Yeah this sort of desperation shows that what she craves is power, not to be a public servant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah this sort of desperation shows that what she craves is power, not to be a public servant.
                  I'm not sure if it's power or attention that she craves. I suppose if you have power, you get attention. I think it's really dawning on her that her opposition to Trump is going to cost her her career, and, in a few years, she'll be forgotten. She'll probably won't come back with the Republicans. Democrats will drop her in January since she's no longer useful for cover on their committee.

In a way, I wish I could respect her for her principals even if I disagree with them. Unfortunately, her behavior tells me that she did this to increase herself and now she's realizing it didn't work.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I'm not sure if it's power or attention that she craves. I suppose if you have power, you get attention. I think it's really dawning on her that her opposition to Trump is going to cost her her career, and, in a few years, she'll be forgotten. She'll probably won't come back with the Republicans. Democrats will drop her in January since she's no longer useful for cover on their committee.

In a way, I wish I could respect her for her principals even if I disagree with them. Unfortunately, her behavior tells me that she did this to increase herself and now she's realizing it didn't work.
                    I think it shows that she's not very bright. Some cronies can throw in with Democrats and survive, like Romney, but most are just used. She got used.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I think it shows that she's not very bright. Some cronies can throw in with Democrats and survive, like Romney, but most are just used. She got used.
                      One would think that Daddy could have warned her but FWIU he was all onboard with her decisions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        One would think that Daddy could have warned her but FWIU he was all onboard with her decisions.
                        eh ... I don't think Daddy is all that bright either. He got enough reputation from Nixon and Ford to win an easy House election in Wyoming, but the rest of his career has basically been appointments. If you schmooze just one person with power you can get an appointment. I thinkn he schmoozed through most of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

eh ... I don't think Daddy is all that bright either. He got enough reputation from Nixon and Ford to win an easy House election in Wyoming, but the rest of his career has basically been appointments. If you schmooze just one person with power you can get an appointment. I thinkn he schmoozed through most of his career.
                          The only thing most people remember about Dick Cheney is his shooting incident where he accidentally shot that Texas lawyer.( i.e. he is a dumbass).

Comment

The only thing most people remember about Dick Cheney is his shooting incident where he accidentally shot that Texas lawyer.( i.e. he is a dumbass).
                            I still say we blew an opportunity there.

Right after that he should have led a delegation to hold talks either with Iran or North Korea.

They couldn't but help be thinking that this guy just shot someone in the face and chest with a shotgun. And he was a friend of his.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Personally, my memory is when he found out many of the torture victims at Gitmo were innocent people, but decided to keep that from the public so as not to disrupt the plan to invade Iraq. At least, that's according to Lawrence Wilkerson. That to me is pure evil.

Comment

Last I heard, the attorney claimed he and Cheney were NOT "good friends", and "hasn't said whether Cheney apologized".

(The "non-fatal" shooting resulted in an atrial fibrillation because one of the pellets entered near his heart)
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment