Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court Strikes Down N.Y. Concealed Carry Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gov Hiccup goes ballistic! Pun intended...

NY Gov. Hochul defiant after Supreme Court gun decision: 'We're just getting started'

The Supreme Court ruled that New York overly restricted access to concealed carry permits

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ny-...etting-started
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      It really is satisfying to see the libs get their panties in a wad.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It really is satisfying to see the libs get their panties in a wad.
        yep, the AG of my state is freaking out too!

https://portal.ct.gov/AG/Press-Relea...aws-Nationwide
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

yep, the AG of my state is freaking out too!

https://portal.ct.gov/AG/Press-Relea...aws-Nationwide
          You know this will intensify their efforts to pack the court, yes?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You know this will intensify their efforts to pack the court, yes?
            Like they need an excuse. Besides I doubt that Manchin would go along with it....

Comment

Like they need an excuse. Besides I doubt that Manchin would go along with it....
              He says he wouldn't, and, hopefully, they soon will not have the numbers even with a simple majority. That will be interesting to see.

Comment

That would be my choice...

SCOTUS sides with inmate who wants to die by firing squad

https://www.ktnv.com/news/national/s...y-firing-squad

Comment

So I guess the Roe thing will be released tomorrow. A weekend of riots coming?
                  It's possible it's released tomorrow, but it probably won't be. There are 6 cases left to be decided this term, and it's extremely rare that they ever release that many decisions in one day. It would also mean that, since it's coming the day after they had opinion releases they had six whole cases that weren't ready for release today, but in just one day become ready for release. Obviously some number of cases can get finished up in just a day, especially at the end of the term when it's "crunch time" and they're working feverishly to get them all done, but six seems a high amount to be in that state of not being ready today but with just one more day, being ready.

It's still possible, but it isn't likely. Far more probable is that we have at least two days of opinions left, with more coming next week. Then the question comes whether Dobbs (the abortion case) will be in the batch released tomorrow or released later. Given the fact it's the one most likely to provoke a lot of arguments and separate opinions--the leaks indicated there would be at least three (majority and two separate dissents), and we'll probably see at least one concurrence and a bunch of back-and-forth between the majority and dissent, and all that equals a whole lot of time required to get through it compared to other opinions. I also feel that, given the fact it's going to be the most controversial decision of the session--whatever way they go with it--there may also be desire to hold onto it until the very last day of opinions so they don't have the reaction to it held over them while they're still in the middle of working on finishing their other opinions.

I'm arguing based on probabilities here so it could very well come out on Friday, but I think it's far more likely we see it no earlier than next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                    It's possible it's released tomorrow, but it probably won't be. There are 6 cases left to be decided this term, and it's extremely rare that they ever release that many decisions in one day. It would also mean that, since it's coming the day after they had opinion releases they had six whole cases that weren't ready for release today, but in just one day become ready for release. Obviously some number of cases can get finished up in just a day, especially at the end of the term when it's "crunch time" and they're working feverishly to get them all done, but six seems a high amount to be in that state of not being ready today but with just one more day, being ready.

It's still possible, but it isn't likely. Far more probable is that we have at least two days of opinions left, with more coming next week. Then the question comes whether Dobbs (the abortion case) will be in the batch released tomorrow or released later. Given the fact it's the one most likely to provoke a lot of arguments and separate opinions--the leaks indicated there would be at least three (majority and two separate dissents), and we'll probably see at least one concurrence and a bunch of back-and-forth between the majority and dissent, and all that equals a whole lot of time required to get through it compared to other opinions. I also feel that, given the fact it's going to be the most controversial decision of the session--whatever way they go with it--there may also be desire to hold onto it until the very last day of opinions so they don't have the reaction to it held over them while they're still in the middle of working on finishing their other opinions.

I'm arguing based on probabilities here so it could very well come out on Friday, but I think it's far more likely we see it no earlier than next week.
                    They did four opinions today, and they still have six left?
                    Last edited by seer; 06-23-2022, 07:21 PM.

Comment

They did four opinions today, and they still have six left?
                      Actually, more; I goofed up in my counting. There are nine cases left to be decided this term (I am not counting the four that were delivered today), not six. Thus it's even less likely we'll get Dobbs (the abortion case) tomorrow.

But we could. Ultimately, not too much point trying to spend too much time trying to figure it out because we'll know for sure in about 12 hours anyway whether it's one of the decisions handed down. Though with 9 cases left, we might not even be done with all of the court cases this term by the end of next week.

Comment

Does she plan in standing in the doorway of a store, blocking access or something?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It took my son eight months, 400 dollars, references, and a ton of paper work to get his carry permit in my state...
                          Wow. It took me $75 and about 1 month to get mine (lifetime). Had to get a state police background check too. But now my state let's you carry concealed without a permit. But I am still glad I got mine because that way I can carry in a nearby state that does require a permit to conceal carry but has a reciprocal with my state.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Liberals have shown they have no problem mounting extended riots that can last for months (Occupy Wall Street; Black Lives Matter; Antifa), so even if they kick off the festivities tomorrow, I could easily see it going for another five months.
                            But now they won't be able to afford the gas to travel across the country to attend the riots, or the gas used to burn down the cities. Maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

But now they won't be able to afford the gas to travel across the country to attend the riots, or the gas used to burn down the cities. Maybe.
                              Soros has very deep pockets.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Wow. It took me $75 and about 1 month to get mine (lifetime). Had to get a state police background check too. But now my state let's you carry concealed without a permit. But I am still glad I got mine because that way I can carry in a nearby state that does require a permit to conceal carry but has a reciprocal with my state.
                                Yeah, I was one of the very first in Texas to get my Concealed Carry --- things change!

Comment