Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The View Settles With The Rittenhouses For $22 Million and a Formal Apology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Lol. :) It doesn't even have to be a major set of circumstances. It just needs to be the right time, the right mood, the right lack of attention/distractions
    Let this be a lesson to you, CP!!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Let this be a lesson to you, CP!!!!
      It happens to the best of us sometimes.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

To be fair, the story really isn't satire, its a trap. There's not any humor, but is designed to trick conservatives into sharing fake news.

In essence, It ACTUALLY is, what snopes complains the Babylon Bee is.
        Or it gives "fact checkers" content to stay in business? Fake content debunking?

Nothing would surprise me if these sites were in the same business, because a lot of what "fact checkers" debunk are stories or claims I've never even heard of or seen anyone promote on the alternative sites I frequent.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Or it gives "fact checkers" content to stay in business? Fake content debunking?

Nothing would surprise me if these sites were in the same business, because a lot of what "fact checkers" debunk are stories or claims I've never even heard of or seen anyone promote on the alternative sites I frequent.
          Often its described as being circulated in emails

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Often its described as being circulated in emails
            Emails? I'm not sure what that means. How would they know what circulates via emails?

Comment

Emails? I'm not sure what that means. How would they know what circulates via emails?
              Sometimes they'll include a screenshot of one, without identifying information - supposedly somebody forwarded them for fact checking.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Sometimes they'll include a screenshot of one, without identifying information - supposedly somebody forwarded them for fact checking.
                So some anonymous schmoe supposedly sends a "fact checker" an email about a story on a site that the "fact checker" probably funds, wanting to know the veracity of the story. Got it.

Comment

So some anonymous schmoe supposedly sends a "fact checker" an email about a story on a site that the "fact checker" probably funds, wanting to know the veracity of the story. Got it.
                  I wouldn't be surprised if these "fact checkers" subscribed to fringe email chains just to give themselves more grist for the mill.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if these "fact checkers" subscribed to fringe email chains just to give themselves more grist for the mill.
                    I guess I'm just way out of the loop. I know there are sites that have newsletter subscriptions or email notifications when they post a story, but I have no clue what these "email chains" are or how to even subscribe to one.

Comment

I guess I'm just way out of the loop. I know there are sites that have newsletter subscriptions or email notifications when they post a story, but I have no clue what these "email chains" are or how to even subscribe to one.
                      Email chain: Like an old fashioned chain letter, get -> cop -> Forward.

So, you get the story in email, you forward to your friends, rinse, repeat.

Or, in the case of work emails, the "email chain" is the list of back and forth emails pertaining to a single topic where a reply is sent, then a reply to the reply, a reply to the reply of the reply, etc.

Comment

Email chain: Like an old fashioned chain letter, get -> cop -> Forward.

So, you get the story in email, you forward to your friends, rinse, repeat.

Or, in the case of work emails, the "email chain" is the list of back and forth emails pertaining to a single topic where a reply is sent, then a reply to the reply, a reply to the reply of the reply, etc.
                        When I get an email from a source I don't recognize, I just spam it. If I happened to read an email with a strange story I'm not sure of, I google it myself. I guess my methodology is so different, none of this really computes.

Comment

I was thinking of those out-there websites where you can sign up for email updates. These "fact checkers" (especially Snopes) probably have a subscription to all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I was thinking of those out-there websites where you can sign up for email updates. These "fact checkers" (especially Snopes) probably have a subscription to all of them.
                            I'm actually open to assuming these websites are funded by the "fact checkers." I can't imagine it being very lucrative, or profitable at all, just posting fake stories all day, and stories that no one usually hears about... until the "fact checkers" write a report about it.

Comment

When I get an email from a source I don't recognize, I just spam it. If I happened to read an email with a strange story I'm not sure of, I google it myself. I guess my methodology is so different, none of this really computes.
                              I don't really stay in contact via email, except at work. Email is for bills and website notifications, etc. So, in this particular case, emailed news isn't something I worry about. Running across actual fake news for me tends to be sites like this (and this thread), facebook where I take all political stories with a grain of salt, and if I'm googling around for some thread idea, and that's where I'm most vulnerable to stumbling into fake news. For example, if I'm trying to google around for a good story compiling the ways that democrats tried to overturn the 2016 election of trump, I have to be VERY careful about checking the results that come up, and not just taking the first one that looks like it fits my thought. There's too many sites out there that are overtly biased, fake news, troll farms, etc. If I'm not being particularly vigilant, I can end up grabbing a bad story.

Comment

I don't really stay in contact via email, except at work. Email is for bills and website notifications, etc. So, in this particular case, emailed news isn't something I worry about. Running across actual fake news for me tends to be sites like this (and this thread), facebook where I take all political stories with a grain of salt, and if I'm googling around for some thread idea, and that's where I'm most vulnerable to stumbling into fake news. For example, if I'm trying to google around for a good story compiling the ways that democrats tried to overturn the 2016 election of trump, I have to be VERY careful about checking the results that come up, and not just taking the first one that looks like it fits my thought. There's too many sites out there that are overtly biased, fake news, troll farms, etc. If I'm not being particularly vigilant, I can end up grabbing a bad story.
                                Yeah, it's definitely a bit tricky in regards to self-research, especially in the hyper-polarized environment we're in. The key is to not rely on just one source. I have sources I believe are quite solid, but even those sources I don't solely rely on my information, unless their citations are official .gov sites or something. Any source on social media or a spam email for me would be a nonstarter.

Comment