Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jan. 6 hearings streamed on C-Span

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan. 6 hearings streamed on C-Span

First Hearing on Investigation of January 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol
    The House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol held the first of a series of hearings. Committee Chair Bennie Thompson (D-MS) said, “Donald Trump was at the center of this conspiracy,” and that the former president “spurred a mob of domestic enemies of the Constitution to march down to the Capitol and subvert American democracy.” Addressing her Republican colleagues directly, Committee Vice Chair Liz Cheney (R-WY) said that those who “are defending the indefensible, there will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but your dishonor will remain.” U.S. Capitol Police Officer Caroline Edwards, who was knocked unconscious during the initial breach, and filmmaker Nick Quested, who was filming the Proud Boys and the rally, shared their stories from the attack. The committee showed a video of the attack with scenes outside and inside the Capitol, much of which came from police cameras, and video testimony gathered during months of investigation.

Second Hearing on Investigation of January 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol
    The House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol held the second of a series of hearings. Committee Chair Bennie Thompson (D-MS) said that former President Donald Trump “betrayed the trust of the American people” and “ignored the will of the voters,” as he tried to remain in office even after being told he lost the 2020 election. While testifying on allegations of voter fraud in Pennsylvania, specifically those levied by President Trump’s former attorney Rudy Giuliani that thousands of dead people in the state cast their vote in the election, former Philadelphia City Commissioner Al Schmidt said, “not only was there not evidence of 8,000 dead voters voting in Pennsylvania, there wasn’t evidence of eight.” During the hearing, the committee showed never-before-seen video testimony of President Trump’s campaign manager, William Stepien, and former Attorney General William Barr refuting the former president’s claims of voter fraud.

Third Hearing on Investigation of January 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol
    In the third hearing of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol, Committee Chair Bennie Thompson (D-MS) said, “Thanks in part to Mike Pence, our democracy withstood Donald Trump’s scheme and the violence of January 6.” While testifying on the pressure then-Vice President Pence was subjected to by former President Trump and attorney John Eastman, former counsel to Vice President Pence, Greg Jacobs said that the vice president was urged multiple times by the former president and Mr. Eastman to reject the electors prior to the joint session of Congress, even though the vice president consistently said he did not have the authority to do so. Also testifying before the committee was Judge Michael Luttig (ret.), an unofficial adviser to Vice President Pence.

Fourth Hearing on Investigation of Capitol Attack
    The House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States Capitol held the fourth of a series of hearings. Sharing their stories before the committee were state political leaders and election officials from Georgia and Arizona who described the pressures they faced from former President Trump and his allies to decertify the 2020 election, as well as the harassment and threats they, their colleagues and families have experienced from supporters of the former president.

_____

I’m finally getting around to catching up with coverage of the January 6 hearings. At some point, synopses aren’t enough, and so it’s time to let the hearings speak for themselves. I welcome substantive commentary on the testimony. The C-Span coverage includes auto-generated transcripts and a side-bar with links to points of interest. Because there’s a great deal of material covered in more than 15 hours of video in these first four hearings, posters are encouraged to source their comments carefully.

So, nothing much new from what was claimed last summer when the Democrats held their faux hearings on this but decided to reboot it for now because they are in deep political poop and need a distraction.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      So, nothing much new from what was claimed last summer when the Democrats held their faux hearings on this but decided to reboot it for now because they are in deep political poop and need a distraction.
      And opposing facts and testimony are being deliberately excluded from the proceedings, something Adam "Shifty" Schiff was recently called out for by CNN of all places, and to which he could not give any sort of reasonable justification.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

And opposing facts and testimony are being deliberately excluded from the proceedings.
        That's a part of what I meant by "faux hearings"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Substantive commentary is welcome, but let’s keep the spam down here. Please don’t insult anyone’s intelligence with a suggestion you’ve reviewed 15 hours of testimony 8 minutes after the thread was posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Substantive commentary is welcome, but let’s keep the spam down here. Please don’t insult anyone’s intelligence with a suggestion you’ve reviewed 15 hours of testimony 8 minutes after the thread was posted.
            Because we couldn't have possibly been keeping up with current events before you deigned to start this thread.

Comment

Yeah, because it is completely impossible for someone to have been following it as it has been happening day by day

Comment

Yeah, because it is completely impossible for someone to have been following it as it has been happening day by day
                I have no way of knowing what familiarity you might have with the hearings themselves. The C-Span video includes a number of tools for citing testimony accurately. Please take advantage of them and whatever prior familiarity you might have to contribute to this discussion.

Comment

I have no way of knowing what familiarity you might have with the hearings themselves. The C-Span video includes a number of tools for citing testimony accurately. Please take advantage of them and whatever prior familiarity you might have to contribute to this discussion.
                  Look, if you have no idea what level of familiarity someone has, then you have no business claiming that people are suggesting they’ve "reviewed 15 hours of testimony 8 minutes after the thread was posted"

Comment

First Hearing

The introductory remarks included the widely reported, pre-recorded testimony of Bill Barr describing the evidence for a stolen election as “bullcrap,” or a similar word. Also included was testimony from Ivanka expressing the widely reported opinion that she took Bill Barr at his word and accepted that the election was fairly lost. This was reiterated in more recent reporting that by the day of the riots, she and her husband had effectively checked out from the administration, spurred in their departure by the growing prominence of Rudy Giuliani.

The prime takeaway from the first day of hearings themselves, relatively brief at just under 2 hrs, including a 10 minute break, was the deliberate nature of the attack.

It’s clear from Capitol Police Officer Carolina Edwards’ testimony and supporting video that the initial attacks were instigated by Proud Boys led by Joseph Biggs. They weren’t there for the president’s speech. From testimony by the documentarian covering the Proud Boys, Nick Quested, and supporting video, they arrived at the Capitol while the capitol police force was still getting into their gear, about an hour and a half before the president’s speech began, and another hour before it ended.

Investigative Counsel to the Select Committee Marcus Childress’s video testimony included a deposition from Proud Boy Jeremy Bertino. When asked if the president’s “stand back and stand by” instructions had increased recruitment, he concurred that the effect was dramatic.
                    AFTER HE MADE THIS COMMENT, ENRIQUE, THE CHAIRMAN OF THE PROUD BOYS SAID ON PARLOR, STANDING BY SIR. DURING OUR INVESTIGATION WE LEARNED THAT THIS COMMENT LED TO AN INCREASE IN MEMBERSHIP WITH THE PROUD BOYS. WOULD YOU SAY THAT PROUD BOYS MEMBERS INCREASED AFTER THE STATEMENT?

EXPONENTIALLY. I WOULD SAY TRIPLE PROBABLY. WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR A LOT MORE EVENTUALLY.

Also from video taken by Quested’s team the night before the rally, after his release on weapons charges, and for vandalizing a church, the Proud Boys’ leader met with the leader of the Oath Keeper’s in a basement garage, with the suggestion that the meeting was to clarify roles prior to the rally.

While most at the rally were ordinary citizens misled by the president into believing he’d actually won the election, the extremists among them went much further.
                    PRESIDENT TRUMP TWEETED ABOUT THE JANUARY 6 RALLY AND TOLD ATTENDEES BE THERE, IT WILL BE WILD. MANY OF THE WITNESSES WE INTERVIEWED WERE INSPIRED BY THE PRESIDENT'S CALL AND CAME TO D.C. FOR JANUARY 6. THE EXTREMISTS TOOK A STEP FURTHER, THEY VIEWED THIS TWEET AS A CALL TO ARMS. A DAY LATER, THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE DESCRIBES HOW THE PROUD BOYS CREATED THE MINISTRY OF SELF-DEFENSE LEADERSHIP CHAT. IN THIS CHAT, THEY ESTABLISHED A COMMAND STRUCTURE IN ANTICIPATION OF COMING BACK TO D.C. ON JANUARY 6. THE APARTMENT OF JUSTICE DESCRIBES TAR RIO COMING INTO POSSESSION OF THE 1776 RETURNS, WHICH DESCRIBES INDIVIDUALS OCCUPYING KEY BUILDINGS AROUND THE UNITED STATES CAPITAL. THE OATH KEEPERS ARE A GROUP THAT THE COMMITTEE INVESTIGATED.

THE OATH KEEPERS BEGAN BLOCKING THE PEACEFUL TRANSFER OF POWER AFTER THE ELECTION AND ACCORDING TO THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, THE OATH KEEPERS LEADER SAID TO HIS FOLLOWERS WE ARE NOT GOING TO GET THROUGH THIS WITHOUT A CIVIL WAR. IN RESPONSE TO THE DECEMBER 19, 2020 TWEET FROM PRESIDENT TRUMP, THE OATH KEEPERS FOCUSED ON JANUARY 6 IN WASHINGTON DC. IN RESPONSE TO THE TWEET, ONE MEMBER, THE PRESIDENT OF THE FLOOR TO CHAPTER PUT ON SOCIAL MEDIA THE PRESIDENT CALLED US TO THE CAPITAL. HE WANTS US TO MAKE IT WILD. THE GOAL OF THE OATH KEEPERS TO BE CALLED TO DO ANYTHING TO KEEP THE PRESIDENT AND POWER, ALTHOUGH PRESIDENT TRUMP HAD LOST THE ELECTION. THE COMMITTEE LEARNED THAT THE OATH KEEPERS SET UP QUICK REACTION FORCES OUTSIDE OF THE CITY IN VIRGINIA, WHERE THEY STORED ARMS. THE GOAL, QUICK REACTION FORCES TO BE ON STANDBY JUST IN CASE PRESIDENT TRUMP INVOKED THE INSURRECTION ACT.

THE COMMITTEE LEARNED THAT THE OATH KEEPERS WENT INTO THE CAPITAL THROUGH THE EAST DOORS INTO STACKED FORMATIONS. THE DOJ ALLEGES ONE OF THESE STACKS WENT INTO THE CAPITAL, LOOKING FOR SPEAKER PELOSI AND THEY NEVER FOUND HER. AS THIS WAS UNFOLDING, ENRIQUE TOOK CREDIT IN DOCUMENTS OBTAINED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE, HE SAID IN AN ENCRYPTED CHAT, MAKE NO MISTAKE AND WE DID THIS. LATER ON THAT EVENING, MR. TA ARRIO POSTED A VIDEO OF HIM IN FRONT OF THE CAPITAL AND THE TITLE OF THE VIDEO WAS PREMONITION. THE EVIDENCE DEVELOPED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE HIGHLIGHTS HOW EACH GROUP PARTICIPATED ON THE ATTACK ON THE CAPITAL ON JANUARY 6. IN FACT, THE INVESTIGATION REVEALS THAT IT WAS INDIVIDUALS ASSOCIATED WITH THE PROUD BOYS WHO INSTIGATED THE INITIAL BREACH OF THE P CIRCLE AT 12:53 P.M. APPE. WITHIN 10 MINUTES, RIOTERS HAD FILLED THE LOWER EAST PLAZA. BY 2:00, THEY HAD REACHED THE DOORS ON THE LEFT AND THE EAST CLAUSES. BY 2:13, THEY HAD BROKEN THROUGH THE SENATE WING DOOR AND GOTTEN INTO THE CAPITOL BUILDING. FEARING THE BRIDGE THAT FOLLOWED AT 2:25 P.M., THEY BREACHED THE EAST SIDE DOORS TO THE ROTUNDA. IN RIGHT AFTER 2:40 PM, THEY BREACHED THE EAST SIDE DOORS. ONCE THEY INFILTRATED THE CAPITAL, THEY MOVED TO THE CRYPT, THE ROTUNDA, THE HALLWAY LEADING TO THE HOUSE CHAMBERS, EVEN INSIDE SENATE CHAMBERS.

The all-caps text is a c/p of the auto-transcription with expected errors.
                    *This text was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.

The actual testimony includes words and phrases that weren’t picked up, but don’t materially affect the overall conclusion. The Proud Boys led the initial breaches at the bike racks on the east side and coordinated their subsequent attacks to affect a breach of the building at a weak point on the west side just outside the Senate chambers while capitol police were pinned down on the east side. The breaches near the Senate were quickly followed by multiple breaches leading to the Oath Keepers’ stacks targeted toward congressional leadership, likely including Speaker Pelosi, and arguably toward the vice president.

The breaches on the east side were galvanized by a megaphone repeating the president’s tweet attacking Pence in the middle of the riot.

______

As time permits, I’ll be offering further synopses from my point of view. But it should be understood that January 6 did not begin or end on January 6. Evidence shows this was part of a multi-pronged attempted coup by the former president defeated by actors stretching from the the office of White House counsel, to secretaries of state in states with close election results. Only threats of mass resignation from the Trump-appointed office of the White House Counsel and the Trump-appointed leadership of the DOJ prevented a far more grievous outcome.

But I would be remiss if I did not also point out how often these actors described their strength as flowing from their Christian faith and their commitments to honor their oaths to the Constitution.

Comment

Honestly, the fact that all counter evidence and testimony is being studiously ignored makes these hearings wholly worthless for anybody interested in the truth. All you're going to get is a play-by-play from the Democrats using whatever cherry picked "facts" fit their preferred narrative.

Comment

Regrettably forum rules preclude profanity, and so I am unable to assign any modifier to the descriptor "retarded" in characterizing the hearings. In the absence of an "other side" to provide context, challenge, cross-examination, and exculpatory evidence,they provide no credible evidence, and there is no non-masturbatory reason for anyone to watch them.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Honestly, the fact that all counter evidence and testimony is being studiously ignored makes these hearings wholly worthless for anybody interested in the truth. All you're going to get is a play-by-play from the Democrats using whatever cherry picked "facts" fit their preferred narrative.
                          Like my signature says...
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm waiting for the transcript. Just in case there's another run on toilet paper.

Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to try again to impeach a guy who is no longer in office?

The idiots running this clown show let a murderer skate - only a moron would take them seriously as they play kangaroo court.

I'll see myself out, thanks.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Can the spam, please.

Comment