Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

New sculpture in New Orleans is kinda racist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sculpture in New Orleans is kinda racist

New Orleans recenlty unvield a sculpture in honor of Juneteenth: a 28-foot tall hairpick topped by a clenched fist.

62ae16ae62e58.image.jpg

"Breathtaking!" enthused the city's Democrat mayor in a tweet. I assume she intended to type "demeaning" but got busted by autocorrect.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/hair-p...ue-new-orleans
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Imagine if a white mayor had erected that.

How disunifying.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The sculpture is being compared to this hilarious bit from Mel Brooks' Spaceballs:

%252B_b946f72cd829e73db4bcc804d7ab48d9.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        The sculpture is being compared to this hilarious bit from Mel Brooks' Spaceballs:

%252B_b946f72cd829e73db4bcc804d7ab48d9.jpg
        So, so much of not only Spaceballs, but especially Blazing Saddles would end up snipped out in the editing if made today

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Aww, the poor mayor has COPD. Did they make that thing out of plastic? The offgassing might explain why she had the asthma attack.

Also, it's 100% racist.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Neither the mayor nor City Hall will answer any questions regarding how much this cost the taxpayers[1]. That's often the first indication of graft being involved.

1. although they say they've set aside another $7.2 million for further art expenditures

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              So, so much of not only Spaceballs, but especially Blazing Saddles would end up snipped out in the editing if made today
              I've been binging on the original Get Smart for the past couple of weeks and have been surprised by all of the race and gay jokes. One of the gay ones really had me laughing. KAOS villain Hans Hunter captures Maxwell Smart and plans to hunt him down like an animal ...

Hunter: "As you can see, I have a trophy of every animal on my wall. Except one, you, a Homo sapien."
              Smart: "Hey, wait a minute! I'm just as normal as you are!"

I think that was the Buck Henry influence coming through.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                Aww, the poor mayor has COPD. Did they make that thing out of plastic? The offgassing might explain why she had the asthma attack.

Also, it's 100% racist.
                That's about as bad as the recent What If comic from Marvel where Miles Morales was Thor instead of his usual character as a black Spider-Man*.

Kevin Grevioux posted the following on Facebook about it.

STRAIGHT OUTTA AZGARD!!: "THOMEBOY"?? REALLY?? Beta Ray Bill, an ALIEN, got a better hook-up than brother Miles! And a new hammer to boot!! Blonde flattop fade, graffiti on the hammer, speaking Asgardian ebonics? Wearing Air-Valhalla Nikes while he BOPS down the Bifrost? Is this how they see us? I'm surprised he's not palming a BASKETBALL with his other hand and going for that 360 from the top of the key "thunder-dunk". Now, I'm not one that believes that all Black characters should be written by Black creators. After all, very FEW of the Black characters that we know and love like Black Panther, Blade, Black Lightning, Cyborg, Falcon, Luke Cage, Storm, Mr. Teriffic, John Stewart, etc., were created by Black creators. Because, if so, then we would have to logically concede that we shouldn't be the regular writers on the MAIN Iron Man, Wonder Woman, Flash, Batman, Thor, JSA, JLA, Spider-Man, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and Superman books, etc. (and we haven't in 80 years of comics). But is this what happens when we're not in the room and part of the decision-making process when it comes to creating our own images? Are we that unwanted? And when we do create our own images, do they try to keep us away from them after conception so they can insert their own views about who they want us to be? And how they want us to be perceived? Does this topic really have to be that difficult? I think they sincerely want diversity. They just don't want diversity from US.

*He isn't always just a rip off of Peter Parker but black. But even in the recent Miles Morales video game he was called "Black Spider-Man" by people on the streets. Other than his heritage and a few new powers he also has a very similar personality to Peter Parker. It was a fun game, but it did feel like they squandered a lot of potential for the concept and character.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

That's about as bad as the recent What If comic from Marvel where Miles Morales was Thor instead of his usual character as a black Spider-Man*.

Kevin Grevioux posted the following on Facebook about it.

STRAIGHT OUTTA AZGARD!!: "THOMEBOY"?? REALLY?? Beta Ray Bill, an ALIEN, got a better hook-up than brother Miles! And a new hammer to boot!! Blonde flattop fade, graffiti on the hammer, speaking Asgardian ebonics? Wearing Air-Valhalla Nikes while he BOPS down the Bifrost? Is this how they see us? I'm surprised he's not palming a BASKETBALL with his other hand and going for that 360 from the top of the key "thunder-dunk". Now, I'm not one that believes that all Black characters should be written by Black creators. After all, very FEW of the Black characters that we know and love like Black Panther, Blade, Black Lightning, Cyborg, Falcon, Luke Cage, Storm, Mr. Teriffic, John Stewart, etc., were created by Black creators. Because, if so, then we would have to logically concede that we shouldn't be the regular writers on the MAIN Iron Man, Wonder Woman, Flash, Batman, Thor, JSA, JLA, Spider-Man, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, and Superman books, etc. (and we haven't in 80 years of comics). But is this what happens when we're not in the room and part of the decision-making process when it comes to creating our own images? Are we that unwanted? And when we do create our own images, do they try to keep us away from them after conception so they can insert their own views about who they want us to be? And how they want us to be perceived? Does this topic really have to be that difficult? I think they sincerely want diversity. They just don't want diversity from US.

*He isn't always just a rip off of Peter Parker but black. But even in the recent Miles Morales video game he was called "Black Spider-Man" by people on the streets. Other than his heritage and a few new powers he also has a very similar personality to Peter Parker. It was a fun game, but it did feel like they squandered a lot of potential for the concept and character.
                  The picture was cringe worthy and the commentary spot on. Maybe they should have him hold the hammer sideways when he uses it and snacking on a watermelon smiley facepalm.gif

Comment

The picture was cringe worthy and the commentary spot on. Maybe they should have him hold the hammer sideways when he uses it and snacking on a watermelon smiley facepalm.gif
                    Even the cover is rather cringy.

And then here we get to see his "skills" in rap.

Comment

And of course not a word about "appropriation" as an African-American takes the role of a Scandinavian deity.

Comment

But didn't you know? All black people speak in rhyme as they stroll though the 'hood in their Nike high tops. And they all use picks, too.

(Another curious detail: his Asgardian armor has hoodie pull strings!)

Comment

1. although they say they've set aside another $7.2 million for further art expenditures
                          I was just commissioned to create a new sculpture. It will be a giant pack of Kool cigarettes.

Oh wait, that sounds racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

I was just commissioned to create a new sculpture. It will be a giant pack of Kool cigarettes.

Oh wait, that sounds racist.
                            [*looks up questioningly from my commissioned sculpture of a malt liquor bottle*]

Comment

[*looks up questioningly from my commissioned sculpture of a malt liquor bottle*]
                              2a8f5838ac6178bc3cfa32d3652dd7fc.jpg

Comment