Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Democrats Propose Black Market for AR-15s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democrats Propose Black Market for AR-15s

OK, the Title is my own opinion....

Here's the deal....

House Lawmakers Propose 1,000 Percent Tax on AR-15s

A group of Democrats, led by Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.), are proposing a 1,000 percent tax on AR-15-style weapons in a gun-control bill intended to significantly restrict access to the popular firearm.

The bill, called the “Assault Weapons Excise Act,” was introduced Tuesday by Breyer and 36 House Democrats and would apply to “assault weapons” and magazines that are capable of carrying 10 rounds or more. If passed, the law would add potentially thousands of dollars to the final sales price of those firearms.

The measure would place exemptions on recreational weapons used for hunting as well as ammunition. The law would not retroactively apply to tens of millions of AR-15s that are estimated to be circulating around the United States.

In an attempt to define what would be taxed, the bill says it would apply to “semiautomatic assault weapon[s],” which are semiautomatic rifles that have the capacity to use a magazine that isn’t a fixed magazine, a pistol grip, a forward grip, and a folding, telescoping, or detachable stock. Other items that fall under that definition include a semiautomatic rifle with a barrel shroud, a threaded barrel, and a “functional grenade launcher.”

The excise tax would also apply to “a semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition,” as well as certain semiautomatic pistols, all belt-fed semiautomatic rifles, shotguns with revolving cylinders, and more.

If that's not a recipe for a black market, what is? It would be even more profitable to deal in AR-15s.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I can't see how such a law wouldn't be in direct violation of the Second Amendment since any attempt by Congress to make guns prohibitively expensive is in essence no different than an outright ban.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I can't see how such a law wouldn't be in direct violation of the Second Amendment since any attempt by Congress to make guns prohibitively expensive is in essence no different than an outright ban.
      C'mon, man, since when do the lefties care about the US Constitution?

Seriously, I think this is just virtue signaling --- "we REALLY care about gun violence so much that we're going to super-nutty extremes...."
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

If that's not a recipe for a black market, what is? It would be even more profitable to deal in AR-15s.
        It has a snowball's chance in hell of passing the Senate...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

That's part of the virtue signaling. WE CARE, but them Republicans want dead children!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

The plan is to pass it via reconciliation, meaning they can (if they hold their party together) pass without republican support.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The plan is to pass it via reconciliation, meaning they can (if they hold their party together) pass without republican support.
              They still need 51 in the Senate, doubtful..,
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I really hope they keep doing insane stuff like this. It shows how out of touch they really are.

Comment