Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Challenging the stereotypes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenging the stereotypes

For those here who tend to assume that all liberals and those on the Left are of the same mindset, this brief section from Bill Maher might come as something of a surprise given that Maher could hardly be considered overly conservative.

Although in the past he has expressed views with which I do not agree [to wit his stance on anti vaccination although I understand he has modified that in recent months]; I nonetheless agree with his [very amusing] observations on this topic.

Warning to the extremely easily offended

I would post some of Ricky Gervais' comments on related issues but they would contain [for some] extremely offensive language.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Maher is very liberal although every now and then his libertarian roots emerge and he can surprise you. Like recently how he excoriated the MSM -- particularly the "Dingy Dame[1]" New York Times -- for burying the attempted assassination of Kavanaugh.

And speaking of negative stereotypes, how about the ones that the left has about conservatives -- particularly Christian conservatives?

1. The NYT likes to refer to itself as the Gray Lady but as their reputation continues to circle the drain and they've become best suited for bird cage liner that reputation is in at best tatters.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Maher is very liberal although every now and then his libertarian roots emerge and he can surprise you. Like recently how he excoriated the MSM -- particularly the "Dingy Dame[1]" New York Times -- for burying the attempted assassination of Kavanaugh.

And speaking of negative stereotypes, how about the ones that the left has about conservatives -- particularly Christian conservatives?
      Christian conservatives are not actually the topic, but you comment is duly noted.

"It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        For those here who tend to assume that all liberals and those on the Left are of the same mindset, this brief section from Bill Maher might come as something of a surprise given that Maher could hardly be considered overly conservative.

Although in the past he has expressed views with which I do not agree [to wit his stance on anti vaccination although I understand he has modified that in recent months]; I nonetheless agree with his [very amusing] observations on this topic.

I would post some of Ricky Gervais' comments on related issues but they would contain [for some] extremely offensive language.
        Foreign leftists don't count.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post

Foreign leftists don't count.
          Do you consider Bill Maher [born New York City] to be foreign? Or are you not an American?
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Christian conservatives are not actually the topic, but you comment is duly noted.
            Funny, the title says "Challenging the stereotypes" but as is so often the case with liberals only particular approved cases are allowed. Anything that doesn't fit into todays narrative is verboten

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That's nice. It's a shame that many on the left want him cancelled because he doesn't hold to their worldview.

I.E. The left may not all think alike, but many are trying to force it to be that way

Comment

Do you consider Bill Maher [born New York City] to be foreign? Or are you not an American?
                You are not American, that much is known.

Do you need help figuring out the difference between you and Maher? Are you transgender?

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

That's nice. It's a shame that many on the left want him cancelled because he doesn't hold to their worldview.

I.E. The left may not all think alike, but many are trying to force it to be that way
                  I think I will re-post part of my reply I made to the thread started by Cow Poke on women leaving the Left.

The almost fascist behaviour among some that no one must challenge certain views and if they do they will be "cancelled"; nor that anyone must be offended by anything whatsoever has become not only worrying with regard to protecting freedom of thought and speech but also very wearisome.

What is also amusing is that in this narrow-mindedness those elements on the Left now mirror what has existed for decades within certain sections of the Right; many of whom likewise become incensed and outraged by anything they deem to be offensive and immediately call for it to be banned.

Hence there are now narrow-minded bigots and proto fascists on both political wings.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Are we going to have make "argument by comedian" and "argument by popular entertainment" official logical fallacies?
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

You are not American, that much is known.
                      And? The OP cited Bill Maher who is American.

"It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Funny, the title says "Challenging the stereotypes" but as is so often the case with liberals only particular approved cases are allowed. Anything that doesn't fit into todays narrative is verboten
                        The thread is about stereotypes concerning the Left/liberals that some on the political right [and certainly individuals who post here] present.

Clearly there are among us individuals who do not comply with that stereotype.

Of course if you wish to start a thread on stereotypes held by some on the Left with regard to conservative Christians [Bill Maher might be one example you choose given his views on religion and the Christian Right] you are free to do so.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Are we going to have make "argument by comedian" and "argument by popular entertainment" official logical fallacies?
                          Bill Maher and others on the liberal and/or Left are not displaying this same zealotry as many concerning trans-gender issues - especially with regard to children.

However, if this thread is not to your liking you are of course free to desist from posting to it.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And? The OP cited Bill Maher who is American.
                            Yes, I know who Maher is, but I don't know the relevance of a leftist foreigner, a promoter of american stereotypes, whining about it.

Are you complaining about yourself?

Comment

Yes, I know who Maher is, but I don't know the relevance of a leftist foreigner, a promoter of american stereotypes, whining about it.

Are you complaining about yourself?

If you have nothing of relevance to add, please feel free to stop posting to this thread.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment