Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

His Gun Jammed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• His Gun Jammed

Good thing the assailant wasn't using a hunting knife. They rarely jam.

https://www.insider.com/kansas-city-...haircut-2022-6

Man unhappy with haircut shot barber and was going to 'execute' him but his gun jammed, say reports

Vernie Dickens, 33, has been charged after shooting the owner of Draque's Barber Shop.

A man in Kansas City has shot a barber after allegedly being unhappy with his haircut.

Court documents show that Vernie Dickens, 33, was charged with first-degree assault, unlawful weapon use, and two counts of armed criminal action in relation to a shooting outside Dráque's Barber Shop on June 2.

Dickens is currently in custody at the Jackson County jail on a bond of $75,000.

The Kansas City Star writes that police were called to the scene on June 2, where they found Dickens being sat on by a man so he could not flee the scene. Police were informed by witnesses that the gunshot victim had been taken to hospital.

The local paper reports that witnesses overheard Dickens get angry about a haircut the day prior to the shooting, and had returned to the barber shop on June 2 to have it fixed.

However, when he arrived at the shop to complain, the barber who cut his hair was absent, and he spoke to the store's owner, Dráque Murff, KCTV5 report.

Murff told him to take a seat, to which Dickens responded aggressively and began yelling, then fired two shots at Murff.

Witnesses reported there were several children in the shop at the time, reported the Kansas City Star.

Murff told the local outlet that he was running from Dickens when he was shot in the back and he fell trying to jump a fence. Dickens stood over him and went to shoot him a third time. Murff was only saved because the assailant's gun malfunctioned and a customer intervened.

Murff feared Dickens was going to "execute" him he told investigators, reported the Kansas City Star. "It was a terrible situation, lying there with a gun to my head," Murff told KCTV5 . "I said one more prayer. He pulled the trigger and I just heard a click."

Murff is now recovering after one bullet passed inches from his spine and has started a fundraiser to "bring awareness to mental health issues, addiction, and gun violence." The proceeds are being donated to a non-profit organization for underprivileged children.

Speaking to KCTV5, Murff said, "It wasn't even a bad cut."

And, sheeeeesh, the difference between a bad a haircut and a good one is 3 weeks!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      And, sheeeeesh, the difference between a bad a haircut and a good one is 3 weeks!
      I had really let my hair grow out recently and finally got it cut back near the end of March.

Due to the fact I have one enormous cowlick that encircles the top of my head my hair looks like crap for a few weeks until there finally is enough of it (weight-wise) to not want to stand up like Don King's hair, but this last time my hairline in front had receded a fraction of an inch to where the cowlick starts.

Wasn't until nearly the end of May until I finally got to stop fighting with it.

My hair gets greasy so I don't put "product" into it so I guess I'm just going to have to not get it cut as short (typically 1" all around).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I got to the point where i just stick with a buzz cut because I don't like bothering with my hair. You may be looking at the one man in the world who wouldn't complain about going bald

Comment

I have two cowlicks on the back of my neck, at the bottom of my hairline. I've had more than one barber tell me not to cut my hair too short in the back, and is why I was always fond of the mullet

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            I have two cowlicks on the back of my neck, at the bottom of my hairline. I've had more than one barber tell me not to cut my hair too short in the back, and is why I was always fond of the mullet
            SURE Mr, Dirt....That's why you are fond of the mullet :D

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              ...for a guy, perhaps. I know a woman with long hair who got a disastrously bad haircut. It took a year of free haircuts to get her hair back to looking right. (She had had her picture taken for her driver's license an hour before the haircut, so she was able to prove how badly they'd butchered it.)
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                I got to the point where i just stick with a buzz cut because I don't like bothering with my hair. You may be looking at the one man in the world who wouldn't complain about going bald
                I just buzz it as well. I have a general apathy toward my appearance, but the one time I tried going bald, I got very sick in the heat while working outside a couple days later.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I used to have hair down to the middle of my back. I loved it, until I started going bald on top and my wife said I resembled Krusty the Clown from The Simpsons. Been shaving it ever since. I never go outside without my trusty Tilley hat, so sun exposure is not a problem.

As for this story, there is something seriously wrong with someone if he would kill another over a bad haircut. Of course the anti-gun nuts are going to have a fit over his choice of weapon. I wonder if they would feel better if the barber had been stabbed, or thrown to the ground and repeatedly kicked in the head.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    ...for a guy, perhaps. I know a woman with long hair who got a disastrously bad haircut. It took a year of free haircuts to get her hair back to looking right. (She had had her picture taken for her driver's license an hour before the haircut, so she was able to prove how badly they'd butchered it.)
                    When you can use a Drivers License picture as the "before" shot you know it was bad.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This didn't happen in that bad of a neighborhood. I've walked around there before.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        Good thing the assailant wasn't using a hunting knife. They rarely jam.

https://www.insider.com/kansas-city-...haircut-2022-6

Murff told the local outlet that he was running from Dickens when he was shot in the back and he fell trying to jump a fence. Dickens stood over him and went to shoot him a third time. Murff was only saved because the assailant's gun malfunctioned and a customer intervened...
                        If the assailant was using a hunting knife, he could not have shot the barber in the back while the barber was running away.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                          If the assailant was using a hunting knife, he could not have shot the barber in the back while the barber was running away.
                          Well, yes, because knives don't shoot.

He could, of course, have ran after him and stabbed him in the back instead. Would you feel better if that's what happened?
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            True. But Murff fell while trying to jump a fence (possibly not connected with the bullet) and Dickens ran up and stood over him and tried to shoot him in the head. That's where the hunting knife would have been deadlier than the gun.

At any rate, this appears to be a clear case of mental illness. The victim wasn't even the same person who gave him the haircut.

Comment

When I was a kid, I got a bad haircut and went home crying. My mom went to the barbershop and ripped the barber a new one.

No shooting involved, even though it was on an Army base.

Comment