Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Fred Phelps is in hospice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Phelps is in hospice.

http://cjonline.com/news/local/2014-...-death-hospice

He's apparently on the edge of death. Also, according to his estranged son, he was excommunicated from the church a few months ago. (I wonder what for?)

I know I'm posting this in Civics rather than Christianity, but I want anybody to be able to post; but I do want to add my two cents from a Christian perspective. I figure there will be a lot of gloating after he dies. As a Christian, I don't think this is the right response. While it's not our call to make judgments on eternal states, it is said that we can know people by their fruits, and the fruit here looks rather rotten. If God doesn't take pleasure in the deaths of anyone (Ezekiel 18:32), how can we?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I truly hope he has an opportunity to repent of his hatred.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      As do I.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I read that he's been excommunicated from the Westboro Baptist Church. How on earth did that happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
          I read that he's been excommunicated from the Westboro Baptist Church. How on earth did that happen?
          There are a couple of rumors swirling around but since we don't know anything firmly, I don't think it's proper to speculate.

Comment

We should all pray for him.

Comment

same here. especially when I think of who he is having to answer to for it.

Comment

I know I said it would be improper to comment on rumors, but one of the ones out there is that he got kicked out for repenting of his hatred. I think we can all agree that this would be a best case scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I know I said it would be improper to comment on rumors, but one of the ones out there is that he got kicked out for repenting of his hatred. I think we can all agree that this would be a best case scenario.
                  I was just hoping that perhaps that was the case. Hoping and praying are essentially the same thing in my experience. Anyway, that's what I'll pray for.
                  βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                  ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    We should all pray for him.
                    Amen, amen and amen.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Going over the bio, it seems he does have quite a bit to repent for:

Originally posted by Wikipedia
                      Phelps earned a law degree from Washburn University in 1964, and founded the Phelps Chartered law firm.[15] The first notable cases were related to civil rights. "I systematically brought down the Jim Crow laws of this town," he claims.[7] Phelps' daughter was quoted as saying, "We took on the Jim Crow establishment, and Kansas did not take that sitting down. They used to shoot our car windows out, screaming we were edited," and that the Phelps law firm made up one-third of the state's federal docket of civil rights cases.[16]

Phelps took cases on behalf of African-American clients alleging racial discrimination by school systems, and a predominantly black American Legion post which had been raided by police, alleging racially based police abuse.[17] Phelps' law firm obtained settlements for some clients.[18] Phelps also sued President Ronald Reagan over Reagan's appointment of a U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, alleging this violated separation of church and state. The case was dismissed by the U.S. district court.[18][19] Phelps' law firm, staffed by himself and family members also represented non-white Kansans in discrimination actions against Kansas City Power and Light, Southwestern Bell, and the Topeka City Attorney, and represented two female professors alleging discrimination in Kansas universities.[16]

In the 1980s, Phelps received awards from the Greater Kansas City Chapter of Blacks in Government and the Bonner Springs branch of the NAACP, for his work on behalf of black clients.
                      ...And after that period of extremely lucrative popular bullying, he finds that his party allies in this Permanent Civil Rights Revolution aren't going to stop at bullying abstract corporations and other large organizations, they're going right down to the foundations of human nature and sexual relations:

In the movie Hatemongers, members of the Westboro Baptist Church state their children were being "accosted" by homosexuals in Gage Park, about half-a-mile from the Phelps' home (and a mile northwest of the Westboro Church). Shirley Phelps-Roper says that, in the late 1980s, Fred Phelps witnessed a homosexual attempting to lure her then five-year-old son Joshua into some shrubbery. After several complaints to the local government about the large amount of homosexual sex occurring in the park, with no resulting action, the Phelpses put up signs warning of homosexual activity. This resulted in much negative attention for the family. When the Phelpses called on local churches to speak against the activity in Gage Park, the churches also lashed out against the Phelps family, leading to the family protesting homosexuality on a regular basis.[16]

In 2005, Phelps and his family, along with several other local congregations, held a signature drive to bring about a vote to repeal two city ordinances that added sexual orientation to a definition of hate crimes and banned the city itself from workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation. Enough signatures were collected to bring the measure to a vote.[38] Topeka voters defeated the repeal measure on March 1, 2005, by a 53–47% margin. In the same election, Phelps' granddaughter Jael was an unsuccessful candidate for the Topeka City Council, seeking to replace Tiffany Muller, the first openly gay member of the Council.
                      What he needs to repent for is being a willing officer in the Leftist Long March Through the Institutions; his error was in assuming that he could make some of his fortune from an evil movement and then expect that movement to police itself rather than advance on all fronts, including his own family. You don't get to destroy your own country's functioning communities in general and then expect your most important and particular community to be protected after that.

His Nietzschean search for harder and harder-edged arguments and Sisyphean willingness to lash out against any in power on the assumption that he still matters in national politics (excellent list here, under 'People Targeted By Fred Phelps') in the absence of repentance for his true crimes against community, has made him nothing less than the next most popular stick for leftists to beat reluctant conservatives with when Hitler starts getting old and tired. Having never truly broken with the movement that brought him his fortune, he still serves them. Whether or not he does this for cash infusions from other leftists currently in power is an open question.

What Fred Phelps must repent for is the movement he joined, for it is that movement which has declared war on and destroyed the community and culture of our country. In particular, his successful efforts to destroy Kansas through government-enforced racial integration. But indeed, he has not repented, and in fact has often cited his work in Civil Rights as the impetus for his crusade:

Phelps-Roper, who says her husband's half-brother is gay, believes her family's view makes perfect sense. "You are born black; everyone grows old; you're either a man or a woman," she said. "These people [homosexuals] are identified by a perverted sex act. Period."
                      Fred Phelps is Exhibit A for the phrase: "Legalism will not save you if you ignore Wisdom." Being a lawyer, I'm quite sure that all his activities have been completely within the letter of US law at the time, whether for segregation or anti-homosexuality. However, a man who does not look at what Kansas City has become and recoil in horror at the consequences of his previous actions that brought about this lawlessness is not a man who understands what repentance is, nor what following Jesus entails, nor what "serving one's community" really means. He lived by the sword of law and found it lucrative against the law-abiding but useless against the lawless now in power.

If you too have participated in an aspect of this destructive movement, and not repented, now's a good time to add your personal repentance to the list.
                      Last edited by Catholicity; 03-17-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Epo, please refrain from posting any more in this thread.

Comment

Epo, please refrain from posting any more in this thread.
                          Why? His post was quite informative. I didn't know Fred Phelps had been a hardcore civil rights activist.
                          "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
                            Why? His post was quite informative. I didn't know Fred Phelps had been a hardcore civil rights activist.
                            I've asked him a number of times in the past not to derail my threads. And, yes, for the record, Phelps was a civil rights activist and housed Al Gore campaign volunteers during his 1988 presidential campaign. But none of this is relevant to the thread.

Comment

Oh my..This is the first I heard of his illness.
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment