Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Electoral Corruption by Michigan Republicans and elsewhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electoral Corruption by Michigan Republicans and elsewhere

Source: https://people.com/politics/republican-candidates-for-michigan-governor-barred-from-ballot-fraudulent-signatures/

5 GOP Candidates for Mich. Governor, Including 2 Frontrunners, Are Barred from Race for Filing Fake Signatures

Some candidates have filed last-minute lawsuits to get on the ballot
    By Virginia ChamleeMay 31, 2022 03:32 PM

| CREDIT: AARON J. THORNTON/GETTY; FACEBOOK

Half of the Republicans running for governor of Michigan have been disqualified from the ballot after state elections officials said they submitted fraudulent signatures on their petitions. After a deadlocked vote by the bipartisan Michigan Board of State Canvassers, the candidates were deemed ineligible for the ballot. Now, at least three of them are fighting to get back in the race.

Among those disqualified were former Detroit Police Chief James Craig and businessman Perry Johnson, who had been considered among the top candidates for the Republican nomination to challenge Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in November.

In Michigan, candidates for governor are required to submit 15,000 valid signatures from registered voters by April 19 in order to see their names on the August primary ballot.

According to the Michigan Bureau of Elections, the campaigns for Craig, Johnson and three others running in the Republican primary had "submitted fraudulent petition sheets consisting entirely of invalid signatures."

CREDIT: SETH HERALD/AFP VIA GETTY

Bureau staff said it began reviewing candidates' nominating petitions at the end of March and noticed a large number of petition sheets "appeared fraudulent."

The Bureau's findings included "an unusually large number of petition sheets that showed no evidence of normal wear that accompanies circulation," "sheets on which every instance of the handwriting of certain letters across different signature lines and sheets, including in the signatures themselves, was near-identical," and "sets of sheets where the two or three distinct handwriting styles appeared on multiple sheets."

According to the report, many of those findings indicated that the petition sheets had been "round-tabled," a practice in which a fraudulent signature gathering firms will use a group of individuals to pass around the sheets, with each person signing one line on each sheet, "in an attempt to make handwriting and signatures appear authentic and received from actual voters."

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Source: https://people.com/politics/republican-candidates-for-michigan-governor-barred-from-ballot-fraudulent-signatures/

5 GOP Candidates for Mich. Governor, Including 2 Frontrunners, Are Barred from Race for Filing Fake Signatures

Some candidates have filed last-minute lawsuits to get on the ballot
    By Virginia ChamleeMay 31, 2022 03:32 PM

| CREDIT: AARON J. THORNTON/GETTY; FACEBOOK

Half of the Republicans running for governor of Michigan have been disqualified from the ballot after state elections officials said they submitted fraudulent signatures on their petitions. After a deadlocked vote by the bipartisan Michigan Board of State Canvassers, the candidates were deemed ineligible for the ballot. Now, at least three of them are fighting to get back in the race.

Among those disqualified were former Detroit Police Chief James Craig and businessman Perry Johnson, who had been considered among the top candidates for the Republican nomination to challenge Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in November.

In Michigan, candidates for governor are required to submit 15,000 valid signatures from registered voters by April 19 in order to see their names on the August primary ballot.

According to the Michigan Bureau of Elections, the campaigns for Craig, Johnson and three others running in the Republican primary had "submitted fraudulent petition sheets consisting entirely of invalid signatures."

CREDIT: SETH HERALD/AFP VIA GETTY

Bureau staff said it began reviewing candidates' nominating petitions at the end of March and noticed a large number of petition sheets "appeared fraudulent."

The Bureau's findings included "an unusually large number of petition sheets that showed no evidence of normal wear that accompanies circulation," "sheets on which every instance of the handwriting of certain letters across different signature lines and sheets, including in the signatures themselves, was near-identical," and "sets of sheets where the two or three distinct handwriting styles appeared on multiple sheets."

According to the report, many of those findings indicated that the petition sheets had been "round-tabled," a practice in which a fraudulent signature gathering firms will use a group of individuals to pass around the sheets, with each person signing one line on each sheet, "in an attempt to make handwriting and signatures appear authentic and received from actual voters."

You forgot this major part of the report:

Source: https://www.michigan.gov/sos/-/media/Project/Websites/sos/27delrio/StaffReportFraudulentNominatingPetitions.pdf?rev=b751b118ff14477db18d721406de9fd6&hash=CEE3D9745D0ED31BF560090136C37E00

At this point, the Bureau does not have reason to believe that any specific candidates or campaigns were aware of the activities of fraudulent-petition circulators.

Then again, it might just be a problem with you choosing biased sources.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You forgot this major part of the report:

Source: https://www.michigan.gov/sos/-/media/Project/Websites/sos/27delrio/StaffReportFraudulentNominatingPetitions.pdf?rev=b751b118ff14477db18d721406de9fd6&hash=CEE3D9745D0ED31BF560090136C37E00

At this point, the Bureau does not have reason to believe that any specific candidates or campaigns were aware of the activities of fraudulent-petition circulators.

Then again, it might just be a problem with you choosing biased sources.
      Nothing changes regardless. It was Republicans who committed the illegal electoral acts. The Candidates are responsible by law.
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Nothing changes regardless. It was Republicans who committed the illegal electoral acts. The Candidates are responsible by law.
        So why haven't they been arrested?

Comment

I guess this is supposed to prove that therefore Democrats do not engage in electoral corruption?
          We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
            I guess this is supposed to prove that therefore Democrats do not engage in electoral corruption?
            It's just shuny making accusations not backed up by his source. Nothing new.

Comment

Bo, that is not the case, but as far as I know almost all if not all cases brought by Republicans against Democrats have failed in the courts. There will be more referred to in this thread,

Frank

Comment

Source: https://people.com/politics/trump-michigan-witness-mellissa-carone-has-more-to-say/

The Viral Trump Campaign Witness Has a Lot More to Say

Mellissa Carone's criminal history and her proximity to Rudy Giuliani, who later said he got COVID-19, are now taking up the share of the headlines
                By Virginia ChamleeDecember 09, 2020 03:13 PM

The woman who went viral for her combatively chatty appearance at a Michigan hearing on behalf of the Trump campaign last week continues to speak her mind ... and raise eyebrows with her wild claims.

Speaking to a range of outlets, including national newspapers and TV shows as well as Sarah Palin's website, Mellissa Carone insisted the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) was created in a lab and funded by the Obamas.

She also said she wouldn't get tested for the virus, despite coming into close contact with Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani, who was reportedly hospitalized after testing positive over the weekend — days after they sat next to each other in Michigan.

Carone told The Washington Post that she doesn't "trust" tests for the virus. But, she said, she would get tested at the recommendation of a pro-Trump television network such as Newsmax or One America News.

"I would take it seriously if it came from Trump, because Trump cares about American lives," Carone, 33, told the Post, adding: "It is not that I don't believe in getting tested. I don't trust the tests."

Carone was put forward in recent days as a "whistleblower" by President Donald Trump's campaign while they have attempted to overturn election results in a number of states.

After her appearance in Michigan, however, it was revealed Carone had been previously charged with obscenity and computer crime in a convoluted episode involving her fiancé's ex-wife — even as both she and her fiancé said she wasn't responsible, though she did plead to a lesser charge. The ex said the couple had tormented her.

(The description of the accusations and Carone's plea were reported by the Post, The Huffington Post and a Detroit website.)

"I'm 100 percent credible," Carone told the Huffington Post, addressing her criminal history. "I've already talked to Trump and Giuliani about this." Carone then clarified: "I've talked directly to Giuliani that has spoken directly to Trump."

The Michigan resident reportedly worked at a large vote-counting center in Detroit as a contract IT worker for Dominion Voting Systems, a technology company used in many states that Trump has falsely claimed is part of a national conspiracy to steal votes from him.

Frank

Comment

Politicians? Corrupt?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or, more likely, it's someone (or several someones) who got a job to get signatures, got lazy, and faked them to make money (because often they are paid by the signature).

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Or, more likely, it's someone (or several someones) who got a job to get signatures, got lazy, and faked them to make money (because often they are paid by the signature).
                      It had to be more than 'several' considering the extent of the false signatures. Your above admission confirms the corruption within the Republican party to achieve their goals. I see a lack responsibility or collusion in the management as to how the signitures are collected. So far no Democratic candidates are accused of anything comparable on this scale. This is not just a few signatures collected by a few individuals.

Frank

Comment

It had to be more than 'several' considering the extent of the false signatures. Your above admission confirms the corruption within the Republican party to achieve their goals. I see a lack responsibility or collusion in the management as to how the signitures are collected. So far no Democratic candidates are accused of anything comparable on this scale. This is not just a few signatures collected by a few individuals.
                        Uh, no. When signatures are obtained they tend to be with day labor agencies, or specific marketing, etc. companies that are hired. The party that hires them has no control over what their employees do, nor are their employees part of said party, you utter nincompoop.

Comment

And yet, once again, the report specifically says there's no indication that the republicans were aware. You ignore the plainly stated for your own conspiracy theories.

Comment

https://katv.com/news/nation-world/w...imary-election

Prosecutors alleged Guillermina Fuentes, 66, a former San Luis mayor and board member for a local school district, used her status as a well-known Democrat in the area to persuade voters to give her, or others, their ballots to return to the polls during the 2020 primary election, according to The Arizona Republic.

Besides just gathering the ballots, prosecutors alleged that, in some cases, Fuentes even filled out ballots that weren’t hers.

That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...ting-and-fraud

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton today announced the arrest of Rachel Rodriguez for election fraud, illegal voting, unlawfully assisting people voting by mail, and unlawfully possessing an official ballot. Each charge constitutes a felony under the Texas Election Code. Rodriguez was exposed in a Project Veritas video last fall while she engaged in vote harvesting leading up to the 2020 election. The Election Fraud Division of the Office of the Attorney General reviewed dozens of hours of unedited, raw footage, which led to this arrest. In an uncharacteristic moment of honesty, Rodriguez acknowledged on video that what she was doing is illegal and that she could go to jail for it. If convicted, Rodriguez could face up to 20 years in prison.
                              That's what
                              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment