Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Türkiye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    What are its pronouns? Pretentious, attention seeking, whiny?
    What?
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...ame-for-turkey

It's official, Turkey has changed its name to Türkiye. A sad day for lovers of food puns. (As a side note, the United Nations shouldn't have to "approve" a name change. If any given country wants to change its name to Narnia, that should be its prerogative.)
      Warszawa is still Warsaw and Deutschland is still Germany in English, but the name under which they’re recognized at the UN is sometimes fraught.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

What?
        Does Turkey/Türkiye refer to itself as he/she him/her/ they/them or zim/zir.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Warszawa is still Warsaw and Deutschland is still Germany in English, but the name under which they’re recognized at the UN is sometimes fraught.
          And Peking is Beijing and Burma is Myanmar, although, much to the annoyance of it's inhabitants, we still say Venice instead of Venezia (or is it saying Naples rather than Napoli)

There have been lots of changes over the years with Ceylon becoming Sri Lanka, Rhodesia to Zimbabwe, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo switched to Zaire and then back to the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment