Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Türkiye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Türkiye

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...ame-for-turkey
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I'm betting that by this time next year there will be at least two acceptable ways of spelling it in Western script. Look at Gaddafi/Kadafi/Qaddafi/Qadhdhāfī for just one example.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Don't worry food pun lovers, their new name is pronounced.... wait for it.... TUR-KEY-YAY. So clearly they're just happy/excited for Turkeys.

Comment

I would like to change their name to "ShouldntBeAPartOfNATO"

Comment

They will always be Turkey to me.

And Pluto is a planet.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            They will always be Turkey to me.

And Pluto is a planet.
            Moons are planets: Scientific usefulness versus cultural teleology in the taxonomy of planetary science According to the authors (using some interesting reasoning), we need a better definition for what constitutes a planet and the one they posit would include Pluto. As well as our moon and a bunch of other moons and asteroids.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Moons are planets: Scientific usefulness versus cultural teleology in the taxonomy of planetary science According to the authors (using some interesting reasoning), we need a better definition for what constitutes a planet and the one they posit would include Pluto. As well as our moon and a bunch of other moons and asteroids.
              When people run out of constructive things to do, they set about redefining things. I'd have thought that astronomers and astrophysicists would have better things to do than dream up a new word for a planet that orbits another planet. "Moon" has served well enough until now.

Renaming one's own country (and other peoples' countries) however, does seem to be a time honoured tradition; though in this case it is simply a matter of changing the spelling. Seems reasonable, the idea that one's country might be mistaken for festive provender might be a little disconcerting.
              Last edited by tabibito; 06-03-2022, 05:01 PM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

When people run out of constructive things to do, they set about redefining things. I'd have thought that astronomers and astrophysicists would have better things to do than dream up a new word for a planet that orbits another planet. "Moon" has served well enough until now.

Renaming one's own country (and other peoples' countries) however, does seem to be a time honoured tradition; though in this case it is simply a matter of changing the spelling. Seems reasonable, the idea that one's country might be mistaken for festive provender might be a little disconcerting.
                We need to start referring to Australia as Oz.

Comment

With an article title like that, I'm just going to assume they're correct without even reading it!
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

"It's nobody's business but the Turks."
                    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                      "It's nobody's business but the Turks."

Comment

We need to start referring to Australia as Oz.
                        Dr. Mehmet Australia.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

What are its pronouns? Pretentious, attention seeking, whiny?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Comment

It doesn't even appear to be that. They changed their name a while back, they just petitioned the UN and member states to officially refer to them by and recognize that name

Comment