Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Back to the Office

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Elon Musk has said all Tesla office workers must return to the office for 40 hours a week. His argument is it's what we expected of factory workers so why should you be different? Also, he seems to view remote working as people pretending to work. He says people at Tesla who don't return will be considered as having resigned. Link to one of many articles on the topic: https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/tech/...ome/index.html

I can see his point. I personally am on a 2-days in the office and 3-days home schedule right now. Not seeing any signs that's going to change anytime soon. My experience is many people at my work who are home seem to be putting in full days. I do have one candidate who seems to be only working part time on a full-time position while 5-days at home. I will admit this could be just my impression.

What do you think? Is Musk on to something or out of touch with our new reality? I'm sort of mixed on this. I think there are a lot of people working hard at home but there are also slackers taking advantage of the lower visibility.
    Been doing this two days in the office and three days at home a few weeks now. On the whole, I do find it a little easier to focus on my job in the office rather than home. Since we're still paper heavy, I can help my boss out more working on paperwork when I'm in the office and sparing her the time for other matters. I glad she's flexible on which two days. I've changed which days of the week either because of something going on at home or something it would be better for me to be in the office for.

I have noticed a lot of the senior executives still seem to be full time home. In fairness, I did see the president one day when I was in.

There haven't been many studies out yet, but the ones I've seen indicate that virtual meetings are not as effective as in-person meetings. I'm inclined to agree based on my experience.

I'm coming to the conclusion that Musk is right and people should be more in the office than out.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment