Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Charleston SC Woman Ends Attempted Mass Shooting, Killing Shooter With Her Own Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

Last stats I saw had defensive uses of guns at around 500,000 to 3,000,000 a year with guns being used for around 300,000 crimes. Homicides account for about 11,000 of those crimes. If that is accurate, then that is more in favor of defensive uses over crimes committed even if you go with the lower estimate.
    Yep, even the Obama Admin's CDC study had 500k defensive gun uses a year as the minimum they could come up with. Which explains why they quietly memory holed it by silently releasing that report the afternoon of a summer Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The important thing to remember with defensive gun uses is that most of the time, the defensive gun doesn't actually need to be fired, the threat of force is enough.

The problem is that defense has to be so much more effective than offense. It's that old saying. Defense has to stop X 100% of the times. X only has to work once.
      The left freaks out about teachers having guns because they envision some fanciful wild west scenario. When, in reality, the primary goal is deterrence.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

The important thing to remember with defensive gun uses is that most of the time, the defensive gun doesn't actually need to be fired, the threat of force is enough.

The problem is that defense has to be so much more effective than offense. It's that old saying. Defense has to stop X 100% of the times. X only has to work once.
        The point is that they save people far more often than harm them.

Twenty or so years ago, there was a study which found that the number of defensive uses of firearms had been heavily exaggerated, but by defensive use this study only counted the number of times a gun was used to defensively shoot an assailant.

If that is the definition, then yeah, the number of times a gun is used to protect someone isn't that high. But as you said, that isn't the only way a firearm can save someone. Other ways it can stop an attack are
        • announcing that you have a gun (even if you don't)
        • revealing that you have a gun
        • putting the gun in hand or hands
        • in the case of a pump shotgun -- chambering a round
        • pointing the gun at the attacker
        • firing the gun into the air

I'm sure I missed a couple, but that should suffice to make the point

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          The point is that they save people far more often than harm them.

Twenty or so years ago, there was a study which found that the number of defensive uses of firearms had been heavily exaggerated, but by defensive use this study only counted the number of times a gun was used to defensively shoot an assailant.

If that is the definition, then yeah, the number of times a gun is used to protect someone isn't that high. But as you said, that isn't the only way a firearm can save someone. Other ways it can stop an attack are
          • announcing that you have a gun (even if you don't)
          • revealing that you have a gun
          • putting the gun in hand or hands
          • in the case of a pump shotgun -- chambering a round
          • pointing the gun at the attacker
          • firing the gun into the air

I'm sure I missed a couple, but that should suffice to make the point
          Concerning that last point, I feel the need to say that firing a warning shot into the air (or anywhere else) is an extremely bad idea.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Concerning that last point, I feel the need to say that firing a warning shot into the air (or anywhere else) is an extremely bad idea.
            I considered long and hard about firing a warning shot, and only included it because it is a way that a firearm can be used to defend oneself without shooting the assailant. And shooting at someone's feet or just over their heads is probably the worst as it could provoke the attack you are seeking to prevent (they may think you are shooting to hit them but missed and attack to stop you).

I prolly should have added a "not recommended" after it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yeah that's a Joe "go out and fire a shotgun into the air" Biden level of bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yeah that's a Joe "go out and fire a shotgun into the air" Biden level of bad idea.
                Because a shotgun is WAY easier for a woman to shoot than an AR-15.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Probably won't see that story on CNN or MSNBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Old Joe is famous for suggesting that people blindly blast through doors.

Comment