Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Charleston SC Woman Ends Attempted Mass Shooting, Killing Shooter With Her Own Gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston SC Woman Ends Attempted Mass Shooting, Killing Shooter With Her Own Gun

Quick thinking, a ready self defense weapon, and a lot more guts than the Uvalde police had (not that that's hard). Hats off to this heroic woman - had she not been there and not been armed for self defense, this could have turned out a LOT worse as this man with a criminal history shot at the crowd.

https://wchstv.com/news/local/victim...eston-shooting

Police: Woman with pistol killed man who shot at crowd of people in Charleston

Police said a woman who was lawfully carrying a pistol shot and killed a man who began shooting at a crowd of people Wednesday night in Charleston.

Dennis Butler was killed after allegedly shooting at dozens of people attending a graduation party Wednesday near the Vista View Apartment complex. No injuries were reported from those at the party.

Investigators said Butler was warned about speeding in the area with children present before he left. He later returned with an AR-15-style firearm and began firing into the crowd before he was shot and killed.

“Instead of running from the threat, she engaged with the threat and saved several lives last night,” Charleston Police Department Chief of Detectives Tony Hazelett said.

Officers did not go into detail, but said Butler did have an extensive criminal history.

Hazelett said no charges will be filed against the woman.

UPDATED, 7:07 a.m. 05/26/22

Charleston police said a man who was shot late Wednesday night has died.

During the investigation, police said investigators learned Dennis Butler was approached earlier in the night about him speeding in the Vista View Apartment complex while children were playing.

Butler then left the complex, but later returned, parked in front of the 1300 Renaissance Circle complex and pulled an AR 15-style rifle.

Police said Butler fired his weapon at people attending a birthday or graduation party.

A bystander at the party quickly drew their weapon and fired at Dennis Butler, fatally wounding him.

No one else was injured.

Several witnesses waited for police to arrive and fully cooperated with the investigation.

The investigation will be turned over to the Kanawha County Prosecutor’s office for review, but at this time, no one has been charged.

ORIGINAL STORY

Dispatchers report the victim of a shooting in Charleston has been transported to a hospital to receive medical treatment.

The incident occurred at the Vista View Apartments complex on Renaissance Circle late Wednesday night.

Yup. West Virginia woman with pistol shoots, kills man firing at graduation party: 'Saved several lives'

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Somebody needs to let firstfloor know.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wonder how often this sort of thing happens and never gets reported in the anti-2nd-Amendment legacy media?

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          I wonder how often this sort of thing happens and never gets reported in the anti-2nd-Amendment legacy media?
          There was, about 10 years ago, a roundup of incidents from Harris County, Texas, in which "a bad guy with a gun" was stopped by "a good guy with a gun". I don't remember the details, but it was a very solid case.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Somebody needs to let firstfloor know.
            Jackson Lee too, it seems:

I, for one, will not tolerate this exhausting and poor response, which includes Donald Trump’s absolutely absurd comment that what you need when you see guns is a good guy with a gun. Well, I will tell you that it’s evidenced that if that perpetrator has weapons of war, and has the unbelievable automatic weapon, it doesn’t work.”

Though I think on balance, the good guy with the gun would not work, there are times when it manifestly does. Also, the perpetrator in this case had not been legally armed.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I, for one, will not tolerate this exhausting and poor response, which includes Donald Trump’s absolutely absurd comment that what you need when you see guns is a good guy with a gun. Well, I will tell you that it’s evidenced that if that perpetrator has weapons of war, and has the unbelievable automatic weapon, it doesn’t work.”

Though I think on balance, the good guy with the gun would not work, there are times when it manifestly does. Also, the perpetrator in this case had not been legally armed.
              Not to mention that "weapons of war" and "automatic weapon" are evidences of the pure ignorance (and/or purposeful deception) of the gun-grabbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Not to mention that "weapons of war" and "automatic weapon" are evidences of the pure ignorance (and/or purposeful deception) of the gun-grabbers.
                A politician can't be expected to pass up the opportunity for a bit of opportunistic rhetorical flourish.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

A politician can't be expected to pass up the opportunity for a bit of opportunistic rhetorical flourish.
                  Yup. On both sides.

Comment

Not the same thing but still... Mom Flees McDonald’s Drive-Thru After Gunshots, Hits Shooter Dead: Police

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We need more people with guns and the proper training, not less like liberals want. Would make all the bad guys think twice if they were forced to assume that everybody could be armed.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        From my old files...

On 1/16/2002, Peter Odighizuwa a 43-year-old naturalized citizen from Nigeria, who had flunked out of the Appalachian School of Law in Grundy, Virginia returned and went on a shooting spree killing 3 including the Dean of the school. How was his murderous rampage stopped? Two of the students, Tracy Bridges and Mikael Gross, ran out to their cars, got pistols out of them, and returned to the school. There the two armed students confronted the crazed gunman, whom upon seeing the other students with guns, stopped shooting, threw his own gun down and surrendered. He then punched a student and was physically subdued. This is the fourth school shooting that has been stopped by an armed civilian. Considering this, is it any wonder that the Utah state legislature is seriously considering repealing the law that bans firearms from the campuses of their state’s 9 colleges and universities? Probably more would join Utah if they ever found out how often armed citizens stop school shootings, but they seldom do. For example, out of 280 separate news stories in the week after the event, only 4 mentioned that the students who stopped the attack had guns, and only 2 (local) newspapers mentioned that the students actually pointed their guns at the attacker. Most in the media who discussed how the attack was stopped said, “students overpowered a gunmen,” or like the “New York Times,” only that the attacker was “tackled by fellow students.” In all, 72 stories described how the attacker was stopped without mentioning that the students had guns. This sort of coverage is typical. In the other public school shootings where citizens with guns have stopped attacks, rarely do more than 1% of the news stories mention that citizens with guns stopped the attacks. This censorship is dangerous in that it misleads the public in how to handle a similar situation if they are ever confronted by it. Such suppression of the truth may explain why a Grimes County, Texas Grand Jury in 2002 is determining whether or not to indict Kimmie DeVillier for shooting a possibly rabid skunk in the Anderson Elementary School’s gym that had a group of students cornered. DeVillier faces 10 years in jail and a $10,000 if indicted and convicted for violating zero-tolerance weapon laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          We need more people with guns and the proper training, not less like liberals want. Would make all the bad guys think twice if they were forced to assume that everybody could be armed.
                          Again, WAY BACK when Texas first instituted "concealed carry"....

There was a convenience store in SW Houston that had been robbed over and over, so when the concealed carry law went into effect, the owner of that "stop and rob" put some tables and chairs near the entrance along the front wall inside his store, with a BIG SIGN that said...

"Free Coffee for any concealed carry permit holders who drink it here".

He almost always had people sitting at those tables drinking free coffee, and was never robbed again.

Comment

Last stats I saw had defensive uses of guns at around 500,000 to 3,000,000 a year with guns being used for around 300,000 crimes. Homicides account for about 11,000 of those crimes. If that is accurate, then that is more in favor of defensive uses over crimes committed even if you go with the lower estimate.

Comment

The important thing to remember with defensive gun uses is that most of the time, the defensive gun doesn't actually need to be fired, the threat of force is enough.

The problem is that defense has to be so much more effective than offense. It's that old saying. Defense has to stop X 100% of the times. X only has to work once.

Comment