Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

‘Women’s March’ Ousts Pro-Life Feminists from Protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    But now she's claiming that she meant it "metaphorically".
    That's pretty obvious. I don't think anyone ever thought Madonna, a has-been pop star who's desperately looking for ways to stay relevant, was actually literally planning to blow up the White House. As goofy as she is, she's never struck me as the violent extremist sort.

Comment

But now she's claiming that she meant it "metaphorically".
      sure, because everyone has condemned her for saying that, including the left, and she doesn't want to go on some terrorist watch list.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
        That's pretty obvious. I don't think anyone ever thought Madonna, a has-been pop star who's desperately looking for ways to stay relevant, was actually literally planning to blow up the White House. As goofy as she is, she's never struck me as the violent extremist sort.
        well I can agree she didn't actually PLAN on doing it, but I think she actually "thought an awful lot about" it. That doesn't mean it was "metaphorical"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          well I can agree she didn't actually PLAN on doing it, but I think she actually "thought an awful lot about" it. That doesn't mean it was "metaphorical"
          People routinely use hyperbolic language like "I'm going to kill so-and-so when I see her" and obviously mean it metaphorically. I see no reason to assume Madonna meant anything different, especially as she herself has stated as much. Trump uses that same sort of rhetoric all the time. I'm constantly having to reign in people who think that Trump sincerely means XYZ, when it's clear that he's just speaking off the cuff. Just because we might not like the person on the other side does that mean we can't give them some benefit of a doubt.

Comment

People routinely use hyperbolic language like "I'm going to kill so-and-so when I see her" and obviously mean it metaphorically. I see no reason to assume Madonna meant anything different, especially as she herself has stated as much. Trump uses that same sort of rhetoric all the time. I'm constantly having to reign in people who think that Trump sincerely means XYZ, when it's clear that he's just speaking off the cuff. Just because we might not like the person on the other side does that mean we can't give them some benefit of a doubt.
            as I said, I don't think she was serious. hyperbole sure. but metaphorically? that would entail actually meaning something represented by "blowing up the white house" - which I am afraid would probably be beyond the schemings of Madonna. Her deepest thoughts are probably "what color eye shadow should I used to cover up these wrinkles?"

Comment

What's it a metaphor for, then? Maybe I'm just not up to speed on current pop culture jargon, but I have no idea what else she could have meant by that statement other than its literal meaning. I don't think it's something she would really do (just like I don't think people really expected her to deliver on her promise of oral sex for anybody who voted for Hillary), but to claim that it was a "metaphor" seems disingenuous.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                as I said, I don't think she was serious. hyperbole sure. but metaphorically? that would entail actually meaning something represented by "blowing up the white house" - which I am afraid would probably be beyond the schemings of Madonna. Her deepest thoughts are probably "what color eye shadow should I used to cover up these wrinkles?"

She was using the word "metaphorically" in the same sense as "not literal". Maybe she could have used the word "figurative" "hyperbole", or whatever, but I don't really think it's that hard to figure out what she meant.

Comment

What's it a metaphor for, then? Maybe I'm just not up to speed on current pop culture jargon, but I have no idea what else she could have meant by that statement other than its literal meaning. I don't think it's something she would really do (just like I don't think people really expected her to deliver on her promise of oral sex for anybody who voted for Hillary), but to claim that it was a "metaphor" seems disingenuous.
                  See above.

Comment

...I don't really think it's that hard to figure out what she meant.
                    OK, so what did she mean?

Comment

OK, so what did she mean?
                      She meant that she was really really angry.

Comment

She meant that she was really really angry.
                        OK... but "blow up the White House"? That's a metaphor for "I'm really, really angry" and not "I wish Trump was dead"?

Sorry, I'm not buying it. I'm not suggesting that she's a credible threat or anything, but I think it's pretty obvious she wishes harm to the president.

Comment

OK... but "blow up the White House"? That's a metaphor for "I'm really, really angry" and not "I wish Trump was dead"?

Sorry, I'm not buying it. I'm not suggesting that she's a credible threat or anything, but I think it's pretty obvious she wishes harm to the president.
                          And Gloria Steinem later insinuated that she and the crowd there had feared for Obama's safety while he was in office...
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Doesn't matter. It is construed as a public threat against the President. Just like you can't say the word "hijack" on a plane.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Her only defense would be U.S. v. Watts (1969).
                              That's what
                              - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                                Doesn't matter. It is construed as a public threat against the President. Just like you can't say the word "hijack" on a plane.
                                so then how can someone hijack a plane if they can't say it? Hmmm?

Comment