Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's influence waning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Unlike Joe Manchin (D-WV), who's maverick opposition to some of the left's more ambitious plans plays very well with his constituents, the people of Wyoming were not at all thrilled with Liz Cheney's antics. I'm surprised she ran for reelection (that's from 10 months ago).
    Apropos the o/p, Trump’s influence isn’t waning fast enough.

Comment

Wyoming is an open primary state, so expect Democrats to come out enmasse to protect Cheney.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Wyoming is an open primary state, so expect Democrats to come out enmasse to protect Cheney.
        Supporting an opposition candidate to get the nomination has a way of turning around and biting those doing it in the butt.

The MSM and the Democrats eagerly pushed Trump early on, giving him all the air time in hopes that the Republican nominee would be unelectable. Funny how that worked out for them.

In my state, back in the 60s, the Republicans crossed party lines during the primary to get someone as the Democrat's nominee for Governor because he was unelectable. They succeeded -- and he was our next Governor.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Supporting an opposition candidate to get the nomination has a way of turning around and biting those doing it in the butt.

The MSM and the Democrats eagerly pushed Trump early on, giving him all the air time in hopes that the Republican nominee would be unelectable. Funny how that worked out for them.

In my state, back in the 60s, the Republicans crossed party lines during the primary to get someone as the Democrat's nominee for Governor because he was unelectable. They succeeded -- and he was our next Governor.
          The thing is, Democrat voters would be perfectly happy if Cheney won because she is essentially one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The thing is, Democrat voters would be perfectly happy if Cheney won because she is essentially one of them.
            IIRC, she is supports strong border enforcement and continuing the wall. But I guess some Democrats support that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

IIRC, she is supports strong border enforcement and continuing the wall. But I guess some Democrats support that.
              The problem is that she seems wishy-washy. If the "maga" crowd was on board a policy or against a policy, she'd likely act the opposite out of spite. That's something a TDS person like her would be expected to do. She was on board the whole "domestic terrorism" charade.

Comment

The numbers aren’t there for a cross-over vote victory for Cheney in Wyoming.

Why Liz Cheney Can’t Rely On Democrats To Save Her In Wyoming’s Republican Primary
                The math just doesn’t work for Cheney if she’s looking for substantial help from non-Republicans in Wyoming’s GOP primary without winning a healthy share of Republicans first. The vast majority (70 percent) of voters in the state are registered Republicans. And in midterm years (like 2022), an even larger share of the state’s primary voters have cast ballots in GOP nomination battles, as the table below shows — meaning they’re very likely reliably Republican-leaning Wyomingites. And of course, in a state as red as Wyoming — Trump garnered 70 percent of the vote there in 2020 — winning the GOP primary is tantamount to winning the election in November.

[…]

So let’s do a little back-of-the-envelope math to consider Cheney’s position based on what we know about the current state of the race and recent Wyoming primaries. There has been little recent public polling of the race, but a December survey from SoCo Strategies put her behind Hageman by 20 percentage points, and older polls found her support or favorability among Wyoming Republicans in the 20s — evidence that she’s in rough shape. For argument’s sake, let’s say that Cheney trails by 10 points among registered Republicans in the final days of the primary campaign (possibly a rosy scenario, considering her polling numbers). So Hagerman has 50 percent, Cheney 40 percent and the four or so other candidates attract the remaining 10 percent (the candidate filing deadline is May 27, so the field could expand or retract further). If there are around 110,000 voters who were registered Republicans before primary day — a reasonable guess since nearly 117,000 total voters participated in the 2018 GOP primary for governor2 — Hageman would lead by around 11,000 votes. Based on the 2018 primary, Cheney would then need nearly 60 percent of the total Democratic primary voters to not only switch to vote in the GOP contest but to also vote for her.

What she really needs is another Republican candidate to split the anti-Cheney vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

The numbers aren’t there for a cross-over vote victory for Cheney in Wyoming.

Why Liz Cheney Can’t Rely On Democrats To Save Her In Wyoming’s Republican Primary
                  The math just doesn’t work for Cheney if she’s looking for substantial help from non-Republicans in Wyoming’s GOP primary without winning a healthy share of Republicans first. The vast majority (70 percent) of voters in the state are registered Republicans. And in midterm years (like 2022), an even larger share of the state’s primary voters have cast ballots in GOP nomination battles, as the table below shows — meaning they’re very likely reliably Republican-leaning Wyomingites. And of course, in a state as red as Wyoming — Trump garnered 70 percent of the vote there in 2020 — winning the GOP primary is tantamount to winning the election in November.

[…]

So let’s do a little back-of-the-envelope math to consider Cheney’s position based on what we know about the current state of the race and recent Wyoming primaries. There has been little recent public polling of the race, but a December survey from SoCo Strategies put her behind Hageman by 20 percentage points, and older polls found her support or favorability among Wyoming Republicans in the 20s — evidence that she’s in rough shape. For argument’s sake, let’s say that Cheney trails by 10 points among registered Republicans in the final days of the primary campaign (possibly a rosy scenario, considering her polling numbers). So Hagerman has 50 percent, Cheney 40 percent and the four or so other candidates attract the remaining 10 percent (the candidate filing deadline is May 27, so the field could expand or retract further). If there are around 110,000 voters who were registered Republicans before primary day — a reasonable guess since nearly 117,000 total voters participated in the 2018 GOP primary for governor2 — Hageman would lead by around 11,000 votes. Based on the 2018 primary, Cheney would then need nearly 60 percent of the total Democratic primary voters to not only switch to vote in the GOP contest but to also vote for her.

What she really needs is another Republican candidate to split the anti-Cheney vote.
                  Or, you know, maybe a democratic plant to run as a republican...

Comment

I'd like to see an actual list of Cheney's votes. I remember awhile back, people were saying that John McCain was "practically a Democrat" on here, but I pointed out that he had voted with Trump something like 85% of the time, more than many Republicans. How one actually votes means more than who they in a personal feud with.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      I'd like to see an actual list of Cheney's votes. I remember awhile back, people were saying that John McCain was "practically a Democrat" on here, but I pointed out that he had voted with Trump something like 85% of the time, more than many Republicans. How one actually votes means more than who they in a personal feud with.
                      What sank John McCain was when he reneged on his promise to end Obamacare.

Also, raw percentages don't mean much. What legislation did he actually support? Voting with Trump 85% of the time doesn't mean much if he opposed the President on key issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        If she voted 100% "right" on legislation, she still needs to go down the flusher for her part in the J6 stuff.
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

What sank John McCain was when he reneged on his promise to end Obamacare..
                          Exactly. Over and over he declared he wanted to repeal it but when finally given the chance, when he was literally the deciding vote, he let his personal animosity for Trump and desire to stick a thumb in his eye prevail. In the end he choose personal vindictiveness over what he thought was best for the country, forever tarnishing his image

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Exactly. Over and over he declared he wanted to repeal it but when finally given the chance, when he was literally the deciding vote, he let his personal animosity for Trump and desire to stick a thumb in his eye prevail. In the end he choose personal vindictiveness over what he thought was best for the country, forever tarnishing his image
                            He did it for no other reason than to deny President Trump a win.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

If she voted 100% "right" on legislation, she still needs to go down the flusher for her part in the J6 stuff.
                              Yep. Voting records only tell part of the story about a candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

He did it for no other reason than to deny President Trump a win.
                                That's what I meant by my last sentence.

In the end he choose personal vindictiveness over what he thought was best for the country, forever tarnishing his image.

Comment