Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's influence waning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

That much was never in question. Ya are citing the Patriot Post, after all.

When did that become a contention. Looked for all the world to me to be an argument that the character of the candidates won the day. Just begging for someone to fill in the context left behind.

You’re welcome.

You were hoping. Dude, I’m living here now. Welcome to Georgia, where MTG is blaming Jewish space lasers for California wildfires and Herschel Walker is asking, “Why are there still apes,” And me, pointing at the both of them, saying, “This is why we can’t have nice things.”

But If you still want to know if Trump moved the needle in any race, that’s an arithmetic question. Check the polling before and after the endorsement. Find the difference.

On a personal note, the marine’s wife had another heart attack yesterday. You know she had that double-bypass a couple years ago. Not sure how serious, but they shipped her from the local hospital to Savannah last night. Anybody wanting to offer some prayers, I’m sure she’d appreciate hearing about it.
    Walker's ignorance regarding biology appears to qualify him for being a Biden pick for the SCOTUS.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I like MTG almost as much as Lauren Bobert. I dig the crazy chicks.

I had not heard about the "Jewish Space Lasers" thing until this thread, and a very brief bit of Googlage suggests the only time she has mentioned the topic in the past six months was in response to a question from a reporter.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I had not heard about the "Jewish Space Lasers" thing until this thread, and a very brief bit of Googlage suggests the only time she has mentioned the topic in the past six months was in response to a question from a reporter.
        I frequent alternative conservative media sites, yet I hardly ever hear anything about these kooky theories like space lasers or microchip vaccines that the left seems all too familiar with, until they mention it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Here's a bit of history.
          Source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/greene-jewish-lasers-wildfires/

One post from 2018 in particular was reported on by Media Matters for America, a watchdog group, where she speculated about a conspiracy surrounding the November 2018 wildfires in California. In the now-deleted post, Greene theorized that a space-based solar generator, used in a clean-energy experiment with the goal of replacing coal and oil, could have beamed the sun’s energy back to Earth and started the fires. We have covered similar claims surrounding the wildfires before.

She said, “there are too many coincidences to ignore” and “oddly there are all these people who have said they saw what looked like lasers or blue beams of light causing the fires.”

Greene also speculated that a range of people or groups were involved in this fire, including former California Gov. Jerry Brown, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E), and Rothschild Inc., an investment firm.

© Copyright Original Source

As with everything, a stupid thing was taken and spun wildly by opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Here's a bit of history.
            Source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/greene-jewish-lasers-wildfires/

One post from 2018 in particular was reported on by Media Matters for America, a watchdog group, where she speculated about a conspiracy surrounding the November 2018 wildfires in California. In the now-deleted post, Greene theorized that a space-based solar generator, used in a clean-energy experiment with the goal of replacing coal and oil, could have beamed the sun’s energy back to Earth and started the fires. We have covered similar claims surrounding the wildfires before.

She said, “there are too many coincidences to ignore” and “oddly there are all these people who have said they saw what looked like lasers or blue beams of light causing the fires.”

Greene also speculated that a range of people or groups were involved in this fire, including former California Gov. Jerry Brown, Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E), and Rothschild Inc., an investment firm.

© Copyright Original Source

As with everything, a stupid thing was taken and spun wildly by opponents.
            I don't think it can be argued that it wasn't a really stupid thing. Not on par with claiming during a Congressional hearing that the island of Guam might capsize if we send more people to be positioned there, as one of her Democratic colleagues from Georgia claimed back in 2010, but still really stupid.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              I don't think it can be argued that it wasn't a really stupid thing.
              Absolutely, other than the fact they’re coming out of the woodwork to support her, right here.

Not on par with claiming during a Congressional hearing that the island of Guam might capsize if we send more people to be positioned there, as one of her Democratic colleagues from Georgia claimed back in 2010, but still really stupid.
              Squirrel!

And that’s just talking about the public figures. Don’t get me started on these Jawjuns and their preternatural fear of being assigned a staff smiley.

Comment

Absolutely, other than the fact they’re coming out of the woodwork to support her, right here.

Squirrel!

And that’s just talking about the public figures. Don’t get me started on these Jawjuns and their preternatural fear of being assigned a staff smiley.
                So coming out of the woodwork to support a loon who thinks fires could have been started by "space lasers" is something to be concerned over in sharp and total contrast to continuing to reelect a loon who thinks an island can flip over if too many people are on it is merely a distraction.

Got it.

Comment

So coming out of the woodwork to support a loon who thinks fires could have been started by "space lasers" is something to be concerned over in sharp and total contrast to continuing to reelect a loon who thinks an island can flip over if too many people are on it is merely a distraction.

Got it.
                  It was the smiley thing that gotcha, wasn’t it.

I’m not seeing a bunch of folks jumping up to defend Hank Johnson, who was roundly mocked at the time and walked the statement back as “humorous” and “metaphorical” in response, to little effect. He’s going to be famous forever for that one.

And yes, supporting a loon is a whole ‘nother realm of serious, including all attempts to minimize or distract from it — looking at you on the last. MTG didn’t walk hers back. She attacked the reporting.

Her affinity for crazy is legion, ranging from 9/11 hoaxing, to a muslim Obama, to Hillary hit squads, to the infamous Jewish space lasers. That’s before we look at the truly dark and vile.
                  Ms. Greene has repeatedly claimed in multiple videos and social media posts that several school shooting massacres were “false flag” events perpetrated by government officials in an attempt to drum up support for gun control laws. In an October 2020 video surfaced on Friday by Mother Jones, she said that the “only way you get your freedoms back is it’s earned with the price of blood.”

[…]

She endorsed executing Democratic lawmakers, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi. She served as a prolific writer for a now-defunct conspiracy blog called “American Truth Seekers,” writing posts with headlines including “MUST READ — Democratic Party Involved With Child Sex, Satanism, and The Occult.” And she argued that the 2018 midterm elections — in which the first two Muslim women were elected to the House — were part of “an Islamic invasion of our government.”

Her support from fringe TWebbers is barely worth mentioning in view of her support from the most powerful Republican caucus in the House.
                  Privately, according to a person familiar with their thinking, top Republicans hoped that outside groups would swoop into the primary race in support of Dr. Cowan and weaponize Ms. Greene’s incendiary comments against her, dooming her candidacy. But the outside effort never materialized.

Instead, Ms. Greene’s campaign received an important boost when the political arm of the ultraconservative Freedom Caucus endorsed her, as did Representatives Andy Biggs of Arizona, the group’s chairman, and Jim Jordan of Ohio, a founder. She handily won the runoff in August and cruised to victory in November.

That left Republican leaders hoping that, once sworn in, Ms. Greene would clean up her act, disavowing her past comments and dialing back her outlandish rhetoric.

Instead, she charged into Congress and immediately faced scrutiny for her support of the “Stop the Steal” campaign that falsely claimed that Mr. Trump had won the 2020 presidential election.

She referred to Jan. 6, the day Congress was slated to formalize the election results, as Republicans’ “1776 moment” in the lead up to the violent storming of the Capitol by pro-Trump rioters. After the rampage, she pledged that Mr. Trump would “remain in office” and that attempts to remove him from the White House constituted “an attack on every American who voted for him.”

I know plenty of marines, and I’d imagine you do too, who’d be on board for any attempt to tip Guam over into the ocean, but I don’t know any who’d make it a test for their support of a political candidate, because that would be crazy. But not as crazy, and dangerous, as supporting a candidate who’s bound to be campaigning in support of Trump’s attempt to steal the last election.

The laws of physics don’t need defending.

Comment

It was the smiley thing that gotcha, wasn’t it.

I’m not seeing a bunch of folks jumping up to defend Hank Johnson, who was roundly mocked at the time and walked the statement back as “humorous” and “metaphorical” in response, to little effect. He’s going to be famous forever for that one.

And yes, supporting a loon is a whole ‘nother realm of serious, including all attempts to minimize or distract from it — looking at you on the last. MTG didn’t walk hers back. She attacked the reporting.

Her affinity for crazy is legion, ranging from 9/11 hoaxing, to a muslim Obama, to Hillary hit squads, to the infamous Jewish space lasers. That’s before we look at the truly dark and vile.
                    Ms. Greene has repeatedly claimed in multiple videos and social media posts that several school shooting massacres were “false flag” events perpetrated by government officials in an attempt to drum up support for gun control laws. In an October 2020 video surfaced on Friday by Mother Jones, she said that the “only way you get your freedoms back is it’s earned with the price of blood.”

[…]

She endorsed executing Democratic lawmakers, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi. She served as a prolific writer for a now-defunct conspiracy blog called “American Truth Seekers,” writing posts with headlines including “MUST READ — Democratic Party Involved With Child Sex, Satanism, and The Occult.” And she argued that the 2018 midterm elections — in which the first two Muslim women were elected to the House — were part of “an Islamic invasion of our government.”

Her support from fringe TWebbers is barely worth mentioning in view of her support from the most powerful Republican caucus in the House.
                    Privately, according to a person familiar with their thinking, top Republicans hoped that outside groups would swoop into the primary race in support of Dr. Cowan and weaponize Ms. Greene’s incendiary comments against her, dooming her candidacy. But the outside effort never materialized.

Instead, Ms. Greene’s campaign received an important boost when the political arm of the ultraconservative Freedom Caucus endorsed her, as did Representatives Andy Biggs of Arizona, the group’s chairman, and Jim Jordan of Ohio, a founder. She handily won the runoff in August and cruised to victory in November.

That left Republican leaders hoping that, once sworn in, Ms. Greene would clean up her act, disavowing her past comments and dialing back her outlandish rhetoric.

Instead, she charged into Congress and immediately faced scrutiny for her support of the “Stop the Steal” campaign that falsely claimed that Mr. Trump had won the 2020 presidential election.

She referred to Jan. 6, the day Congress was slated to formalize the election results, as Republicans’ “1776 moment” in the lead up to the violent storming of the Capitol by pro-Trump rioters. After the rampage, she pledged that Mr. Trump would “remain in office” and that attempts to remove him from the White House constituted “an attack on every American who voted for him.”

I know plenty of marines, and I’d imagine you do too, who’d be on board for any attempt to tip Guam over into the ocean, but I don’t know any who’d make it a test for their support of a political candidate, because that would be crazy. But not as crazy, and dangerous, as supporting a candidate who’s bound to be campaigning in support of Trump’s attempt to steal the last election.

The laws of physics don’t need defending.
                    The media drew the wagons around Johnson after the incident, declaring it was a joke. Anyone who has followed Johnson knows he doesn't have much of a sense of humor and that's not how he shows it when it does come through. Anyone watching him could see how serious he was. His staff issued a statement about a bad reaction to medication, which was probably the best explanation to offer, but that got walked back.

But yeah, he definitely was still targeted for a lot of ribbing over it, as he should have been.

You're new to Jawja, so let me clue you in. While where you came from is notorious for its "Florida Man" incidents, up here we tend to put those sorta folks into office. We've had folks who ran commercials literally trying to hypnotize viewers to vote for them. We had someone seize control of the Governor's mansion insisting he was now Governor because his daddy held that position when he died. IOW, he declared it was an inheritable position. Wanna know something? He ended up being Governor.

So sit back and enjoy. This circus has still got a long way to go.

Comment

Got it.
                      Technically both are feasible. Of course, the island would have to be a floating island and small enough (Guam is neither), but it is feasible.
                      https://www.sciencealert.com/a-gigan...y-to-australia
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The ominous and nebulous "they"

Comment

Yesterday's primary in Georgia was not a good day for the former president. Both of the candidates he heavily backed were defeated -- biggly.

Trump has been angry at both Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary Brad Raffensperger since the 2020 election and as retribution for their not going along with his effort to overturn his defeat here, he heavily backed opponents to unseat them.

In Kemp's case, Trump propped up former Senator David Perdue who was defeated in 2020. Perdue remained 20 points or more back the entire race and ended up getting virtually annihilated by a 73.7% to 21.8% margin. That's a +50 point blow out.

This marks the third candidate that Trump has backed for governor who has lost their primary.

As for Raffensperger, he also won quite handedly, defeating Trump-backed Jody Hice by just shy of 20 points -- 52.3% to 33.4%.

Still, his endorsement amounted to a sizeable boost for several candidates elsewhere during the primaries this year. Maybe Georgians haven't forgotten nor forgiven how his antics when he came here to ostensibly campaign for the two Republicans during run-offs for both Senate seats helped the Democrats win in 2021.
                          One can only hope his influence is waning. He's the worst thing to happen to the Republican Party in decades.
                          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Technically both are feasible. Of course, the island would have to be a floating island and small enough (Guam is neither), but it is feasible.
                            https://www.sciencealert.com/a-gigan...y-to-australia
                            And here I thought floating islands were the stuff of myths and legends.

What's next, an island on the back of a humongous turtle?

Comment

What's next, an island on the back of a humongous turtle?
                              That's a world - and not in this universe. Though we have a river here (or in a neighbouring state anyway) that is considered to be upside down.

ETA:
                              This is Australia - the rest of the world does things strangely.
                              Last edited by tabibito; 05-28-2022, 09:37 AM.
                              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                              Scripture before Tradition:
                              but that won't prevent others from
                              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post

One can only hope his influence is waning. He's the worst thing to happen to the Republican Party in decades.
                                You say that like it's a bad thing. The Republican party needed a solid kick on the backside, Trump delivered it, and a lot of good things started happening for the country. Of course the Republican party couldn't wait to get rid of him, and now that he's out of office, they've happily slid back into the Swamp and have returned to their old tricks of "compromising" with the liberal fascists. Case in point, Mitch "The Backstabber" McConnell recently announced his willingness to work with Democrats on "gun control" legislation.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment