Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's influence waning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

The eyes of a ranger are upon you.
    My Ranger is red, and gets 24 mpg.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I'd heard that perhaps Georgian voters were resentful of his meddling. It's one thing for Trump to endorse some unknown candidate in a distant race. But when a voter is familiar with the campaign and it is more localized, it feels like an outsider sticking his nose in.

And, of course, this whole Dr. Oz thing has got a lot of people thinking Trump will endorse friends now ahead of policies.
      At least four candidates in that race sought the endorsement of Bad Orange Man, and/or touted their connections to him. He went with the guy with the biggest celebrity appeal. Currently his (and Hannity's) guy, Oz, is ahead by less than 1000 votes, or less than 0.1% of the total. It has officially been announced, just today, that there will be a recount, even though there are *still* ballots that have not been counted. Per PA law, a difference of less than 0.5% triggers automatic recount, and the number of uncounted ballots won't be enough to exceed that gap.

All three of the top vote-getters -- Meh, Dave, and Kathy -- are jerks. Kathy has a great personal story and made a strong late run, briefly getting to second place in some polls, before some people, notably Hannity, raked her with a bunch of stupid tweets she'd made. Instead of apologizing, explaining, or taking the Tucker approach -- "Yeah, I said that. So what? Screw you." -- she chose the whiny, "Po' little persecuted me" route. Of the three, I find McCormick to be the least objectionable, and I'd like to see him end up passing Meh in the recount, not least for the fun of seeing BOM and Hannity be rebuffed.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

At least four candidates in that race sought the endorsement of Bad Orange Man, and/or touted their connections to him. He went with the guy with the biggest celebrity appeal. Currently his (and Hannity's) guy, Oz, is ahead by less than 1000 votes, or less than 0.1% of the total. It has officially been announced, just today, that there will be a recount, even though there are *still* ballots that have not been counted. Per PA law, a difference of less than 0.5% triggers automatic recount, and the number of uncounted ballots won't be enough to exceed that gap.

All three of the top vote-getters -- Meh, Dave, and Kathy -- are jerks. Kathy has a great personal story and made a strong late run, briefly getting to second place in some polls, before some people, notably Hannity, raked her with a bunch of stupid tweets she'd made. Instead of apologizing, explaining, or taking the Tucker approach -- "Yeah, I said that. So what? Screw you." -- she chose the whiny, "Po' little persecuted me" route. Of the three, I find McCormick to be the least objectionable, and I'd like to see him end up passing Meh in the recount, not least for the fun of seeing BOM and Hannity be rebuffed.
        I didn't know those details about Kathy Barnett. From a distance, she seemed like the best candidate to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Well you do have more hair on your...

nevermind.gif
          Now THAT would be a Texas-size comb-over.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

More importantly, from an analysis perspective, it's important to know if the endorsement was made during an influential time. If Trump endorses a primary candidate running unopposed, his endorsement is worthless. If he endorsed a candidate who is well ahead of the pack, and that candidate wins, It's hard to say if the endorsement was anything more than a bandwagon endorsement.

It's very hard in situations like this to pull out anything causal instead of merely correlative.
            I *think* McCormick was ahead until BOM and Hannity endorsed Meh.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I didn't know those details about Kathy Barnett. From a distance, she seemed like the best candidate to me.
              I liked her, and only one of the tweets bothered me. But her reaction to criticism soured me -- especially when she suggested she might end up not supporting the eventual GOP winner if it wasn't her.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Yesterday's primary in Georgia was not a good day for the former president. Both of the candidates he heavily backed were defeated -- biggly.

Trump has been angry at both Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary Brad Raffensperger since the 2020 election and as retribution for their not going along with his effort to overturn his defeat here, he heavily backed opponents to unseat them.

In Kemp's case, Trump propped up former Senator David Perdue who was defeated in 2020. Perdue remained 20 points or more back the entire race and ended up getting virtually annihilated by a 73.7% to 21.8% margin. That's a +50 point blow out.

This marks the third candidate that Trump has backed for governor who has lost their primary.

As for Raffensperger, he also won quite handedly, defeating Trump-backed Jody Hice by just shy of 20 points -- 52.3% to 33.4%.

Still, his endorsement amounted to a sizeable boost for several candidates elsewhere during the primaries this year. Maybe Georgians haven't forgotten nor forgiven how his antics when he came here to ostensibly campaign for the two Republicans during run-offs for both Senate seats helped the Democrats win in 2021.
                Candidates probably matter more.
                Source: Patriot Post

The primary thing that we can learn from yesterday’s primaries is that candidates matter. While most of the Leftmedia is talking about whether Donald Trump won or lost with his endorsements, the reality is that individual candidates often make all the difference....

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp easily held off a Republican primary challenge from former Senate David Perdue, more than tripling the latter’s share of the vote and winning by 52 points. In 2020, Perdue was defeated by the unimpressive Jon Ossoff after Trump depressed voter turnout in the runoff with his over-the-top complaints about his own loss in Georgia. Trump then recruited Perdue to challenge Kemp, who was one of the unfortunate targets of Trump’s wrath and blame.

But as it turns out, Kemp is a good governor, Mike Pence endorsed him, and primary voters overwhelmingly rewarded him with a shot at a second term. He’ll face off once again against another politician who claims to have been cheated out of winning Georgia — Democrat Stacey Abrams. She lost to Kemp in 2018 and as recently as October 2021 insisted, “Just because you win, doesn’t mean you won.” Trump once said Abrams “might be better” than Kemp, though Perdue said after losing that Kemp is “a much better choice than Stacey Abrams.”

Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger was in the same boat as Kemp. In fact, he was the recipient of that infamous Trump phone call in which the president said: “I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.” Raffensperger rejected Trump’s claims and yesterday handily defeated a Trump-recruited challenger in Representative Jody Hice, whose sole purpose for running was revenge for Trump’s 2020 loss.

But elsewhere in Georgia, the very Trumpian Marjorie Taylor Greene had no trouble winning 70% against a crowded field of challengers for the state’s 14th District House seat. That reveals two things: Greene resonates with the people in northwest Georgia, and northwest Georgia is not suburban Atlanta.

Herschel Walker, the former Heisman-winning University of Georgia running back, broke tackles in a crowded field to score the nomination to challenge Democrat Senator Raphael Warnock. Walker’s fame combined with his everyman appeal helped him cruise ahead of five others with 68% of the vote. It’s unlikely that Trump’s backing mattered.

Candidates matter. Trump’s endorsement sometimes did and sometimes didn’t.

© Copyright Original Source

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

One thing you don't see (yet) are candidates begging Trump to stay away like happened to Obama after numerous candidates he campaigned for earned humiliating losses. It got to the point that Republicans were thrilled whenever Obama showed up to endorse their opponent. If Trump ever gets to that point, then we can say definitively that his ability to positively influence voters is at an end.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Somebody needs to break that crack pipe before you hurt yourself.
                    But elsewhere in Georgia, the very Trumpian Marjorie Taylor Greene had no trouble winning 70% against a crowded field of challengers for the state’s 14th District House seat. That reveals two things: Greene resonates with the people in northwest Georgia, and northwest Georgia is not suburban Atlanta.

And that nobody wants to mess around and find out about the Jewish space lasers.
                    Herschel Walker, the former Heisman-winning University of Georgia running back, broke tackles in a crowded field to score the nomination to challenge Democrat Senator Raphael Warnock.

I’m thinking my internal cringe signifies he’s definitely the right pick for Jawja.

Senate candidate Herschel Walker questions evolution, asking, ‘Why are there still apes?’
                    “At one time, science said man came from apes. Did it not?” Walker asked Chuck Allen, lead pastor of Sugar Hill Church, during Sunday’s event.

“Every time I read or hear that, I think to myself, ‘You just didn’t read the same Bible I did,' ” Allen replied.

Walker continued: “Well, this is what’s interesting, though. If that is true, why are there still apes? Think about it.”

Get thee behind me, Satan.

Comment

Ninety-eight candidates endorsed by former President Donald J. Trump have won their Republican primary races this midterm election cycle following Tuesday’s primaries in Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, and the Texas runoff, while only seven have come up short. Although Trump was perfect in his endorsements of candidates in Alabama, Arkansas, and Texas, four of the thirteen candidates who earned his nod in Georgia fell to their opponents.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...it-in-georgia/
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

As an aside, Brian Kemp will now be facing off against Stacey Abrams in a rematch of the 2018 race. Interestingly Abrams' campaign strategy took an perplexing turn the other day when she started telling everyone that she thinks Georgia sucks and is a horrible place to live.

I'm wondering if any other Democrats running for office will take a similar course.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Trump's endorsement appears to have been helpful in North Carolina, with Ted Budd (who crowed of his endorsement from Trump, making it his major campaign theme) blowing out former governor Pat McCrory in the race to replace the Senate spot of Richard Burr, who is retiring in disgrace after selling a bunch of stock following intelligence briefings right before the Covid pandemic. McCrory was best known as the governor who signed the state's transgender bathroom bill a few years ago, resulting in the NBA pulling the All Star Game from Charlotte. McCrory refused to answer questions about his stance on transgender issues during the campaign this time around.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Somebody needs to break that crack pipe before you hurt yourself.

And that nobody wants to mess around and find out about the Jewish space lasers.
                            Herschel Walker, the former Heisman-winning University of Georgia running back, broke tackles in a crowded field to score the nomination to challenge Democrat Senator Raphael Warnock.

I’m thinking my internal cringe signifies he’s definitely the right pick for Jawja.

Senate candidate Herschel Walker questions evolution, asking, ‘Why are there still apes?’
                            “At one time, science said man came from apes. Did it not?” Walker asked Chuck Allen, lead pastor of Sugar Hill Church, during Sunday’s event.

“Every time I read or hear that, I think to myself, ‘You just didn’t read the same Bible I did,' ” Allen replied.

Walker continued: “Well, this is what’s interesting, though. If that is true, why are there still apes? Think about it.”

Get thee behind me, Satan.
                            Hey, I appreciate the cherry-picks. I'm not sure how either one refutes the contention that Trump's assistance didn't move the needle much.

Walker's statement can be chalked up to (cringe-worthy) ignorance. I was hoping that MTG would flame out, but no such luck.
                            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hey, I appreciate the cherry-picks. I'm not sure how either one refutes the contention that Trump's assistance didn't move the needle much.

Walker's statement can be chalked up to (cringe-worthy) ignorance. I was hoping that MTG would flame out, but no such luck.
                              She was predicted to win by a good deal but I'm surprised by how much. I wonder how the vote in the Kemp/Perdue and the Raffensperger/Hice races went in her district. If Trump was a major factor it seems likely that Perdue and Hice would also have done significantly better.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Hey, I appreciate the cherry-picks.
                                That much was never in question. Ya are citing the Patriot Post, after all.

I'm not sure how either one refutes the contention that Trump's assistance didn't move the needle much.
                                When did that become a contention. Looked for all the world to me to be an argument that the character of the candidates won the day. Just begging for someone to fill in the context left behind.

You’re welcome.

You were hoping. Dude, I’m living here now. Welcome to Georgia, where MTG is blaming Jewish space lasers for California wildfires and Herschel Walker is asking, “Why are there still apes,” And me, pointing at the both of them, saying, “This is why we can’t have nice things.”

But If you still want to know if Trump moved the needle in any race, that’s an arithmetic question. Check the polling before and after the endorsement. Find the difference.

On a personal note, the marine’s wife had another heart attack yesterday. You know she had that double-bypass a couple years ago. Not sure how serious, but they shipped her from the local hospital to Savannah last night. Anybody wanting to offer some prayers, I’m sure she’d appreciate hearing about it.

Comment