Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's influence waning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's influence waning?

Yesterday's primary in Georgia was not a good day for the former president. Both of the candidates he heavily backed were defeated -- biggly.

Trump has been angry at both Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary Brad Raffensperger since the 2020 election and as retribution for their not going along with his effort to overturn his defeat here, he heavily backed opponents to unseat them.

In Kemp's case, Trump propped up former Senator David Perdue who was defeated in 2020. Perdue remained 20 points or more back the entire race and ended up getting virtually annihilated by a 73.7% to 21.8% margin. That's a +50 point blow out.

This marks the third candidate that Trump has backed for governor who has lost their primary.

As for Raffensperger, he also won quite handedly, defeating Trump-backed Jody Hice by just shy of 20 points -- 52.3% to 33.4%.

Still, his endorsement amounted to a sizeable boost for several candidates elsewhere during the primaries this year. Maybe Georgians haven't forgotten nor forgiven how his antics when he came here to ostensibly campaign for the two Republicans during run-offs for both Senate seats helped the Democrats win in 2021.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

It's a mixed bag. I agree with one commenter I heard this morning that it's candidates that embrace Trump's policies more than his endorsement that are winning.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Trump's influence waning?
      I hope so, he opened the door, now let others run with it...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

As an aside, Brian Kemp will now be facing off against Stacey Abrams in a rematch of the 2018 race. Interestingly Abrams' campaign strategy took an perplexing turn the other day when she started telling everyone that she thinks Georgia sucks and is a horrible place to live.

I'm wondering if any other Democrats running for office will take a similar course.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As an aside, Brian Kemp will now be facing off against Stacey Abrams in a rematch of the 2018 race. Interestingly Abrams' campaign strategy took an perplexing turn the other day when she started telling everyone that she thinks Georgia sucks and is a horrible place to live.

I'm wondering if any other Democrats running for office will take a similar course.
          2000 mules
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Still, his endorsement amounted to a sizeable boost for several candidates elsewhere during the primaries this year. Maybe Georgians haven't forgotten nor forgiven how his antics when he came here to ostensibly campaign for the two Republicans during run-offs for both Senate seats helped the Democrats win in 2021.
            My personal favorite conspiracy theory was that he exerted his influence to depress Republican voting in the Senate races in Georgia because he couldn’t stand the idea of any other Republican winning there after he’d been defeated. I don’t actually believe it, but like most good conspiracy theories, it’s got just the right touch of plausibility to keep you from proving it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

2000 mules
              In spite of being repeatedly told that Georgia's voting reform laws were designed to suppress voting (old Joe called them "Jim Crow 2.0) -- particularly early / absentee voting -- early voting increased 212% over the 2020 presidential primary race and was up168% over the 2018 gubernatorial primary contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

My personal favorite conspiracy theory was that he exerted his influence to depress Republican voting in the Senate races in Georgia because he couldn’t stand the idea of any other Republican winning there after he’d been defeated. I don’t actually believe it, but like most good conspiracy theories, it’s got just the right touch of plausibility to keep you from proving it wrong.
                His actions did serve to suppress Republican turn out as voters were turned off and disgusted by his appearances here -- which apparently included trying to blackmail one of the Senators into fully backing recounts etc. or he would go on stage and denounce her. The idea that he did so in order to purposefully cause Republicans to lose does seem to be a heck of a stretch.

Comment

Yesterday's primary in Georgia was not a good day for the former president. Both of the candidates he heavily backed were defeated -- biggly.

Trump has been angry at both Gov. Brian Kemp and Secretary Brad Raffensperger since the 2020 election and as retribution for their not going along with his effort to overturn his defeat here, he heavily backed opponents to unseat them.

In Kemp's case, Trump propped up former Senator David Perdue who was defeated in 2020. Perdue remained 20 points or more back the entire race and ended up getting virtually annihilated by a 73.7% to 21.8% margin. That's a +50 point blow out.

This marks the third candidate that Trump has backed for governor who has lost their primary.

As for Raffensperger, he also won quite handedly, defeating Trump-backed Jody Hice by just shy of 20 points -- 52.3% to 33.4%.

I'd heard that perhaps Georgian voters were resentful of his meddling. It's one thing for Trump to endorse some unknown candidate in a distant race. But when a voter is familiar with the campaign and it is more localized, it feels like an outsider sticking his nose in.

And, of course, this whole Dr. Oz thing has got a lot of people thinking Trump will endorse friends now ahead of policies.

Comment

There was a concerted effort by the Republican establishment to protect Gov. Kemp at any cost, so even though the media is gleefully reporting this as a bellwether signalling the dimishment of Trump's influence, I don't buy it since Trump supported candidates did very well in other elections, including Herschel Walker, also in Georgia, running away with the primary for US Senate, Sarah Sanders in Arkansas who crushed the primary for governor, and John Boozman handily winning the Arkansan primary for US Senate.
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-25-2022, 08:49 AM.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I'd heard that perhaps Georgian voters were resentful of his meddling. It's one thing for Trump to endorse some unknown candidate in a distant race. But when a voter is familiar with the campaign and it is more localized, it feels like an outsider sticking his nose in.

And, of course, this whole Dr. Oz thing has got a lot of people thinking Trump will endorse friends now ahead of policies.
                      I think the fact that Kemp has really done an excellent job as governor, including his handling of the Chicom coronavirus (which resulted in a lot of heat from the MSM and national Democrats), really "trumped" everything else.

Comment

In spite of being repeatedly told that Georgia's voting reform laws were designed to suppress voting (old Joe called them "Jim Crow 2.0) -- particularly early / absentee voting -- early voting increased 212% over the 2020 presidential primary race and was up168% over the 2018 gubernatorial primary contest.
                        I’m guessing you didn’t get the reference either. Google it, cause it’s a beaut.

Dinesh D’Souza Just Made an Enemy Out of Fox News
                        Far-right provocateur Dinesh D’Souza seems to have—at least for the time being—fully nuked his relationship with Fox News.

Over the past two weeks, D’Souza has raged against Fox and rival Newsmax for snubbing his election-denying film, 2,000 Mules, which has been shredded by fact-checkers and news outlets over its “gaping holes” and provably false claims about voter fraud in the 2020 election.

D’Souza took specific aim at Tucker Carlson for allegedly suppressing mentions of his batty flick, going as far as sharing a series of supposed text messages—which he characterized as “highly abusive”—from the Fox host’s executive producer Justin Wells.

Apparently throwing bombs at Fox‘s prized primetime host, a right-wing media kingmaker, may have been unwise: After having appeared on longtime friend Laura Ingraham’s nightly Fox News show at least 15 times this year, D’Souza has all but disappeared.

His final appearance on Fox airwaves came on April 27, when he beamed into Larry Kudlow’s FBN show to promote the film and get a hearty endorsement from the former Trump economic adviser.

Aside from D’Souza attacking the network’s crown jewel, it’s not too hard to figure out why he’s been silenced: Just like Newsmax, Fox is currently being sued by voting software firms for peddling false claims that their voting machines flipped the election for Joe Biden.

And while D’Souza’s doc has predictably received praise from some of Trump’s most loyal acolytes, some key MAGA media figures have distanced themselves from the film’s most outlandish claims.

Neither Fox News nor D’Souza responded to requests for comment.

It’s not “If I couldn’t win Georgia, nobody can,” beautiful. The basic premise, calling on the Lord of Light to revive a dead prophet, is hackneyed by now. The film’s got nothing, but the meta’s got everything else you’d want from a modern-day Game of Thrones.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          There was a concerted effort by the Republican establishment to protect Gov. Kemp at any cost, so even though the media is gleefully reporting this as a bellweather signalling the dimishment of Trump's influence, I don't buy it since Trump supported candidates did very well in other elections, including Herschel Walker, also in Georgia, running away with the primary for US Senate, Sarah Sanders in Arkansas who crushed the primary for governor, and John Boozman handily winning the Arkansan primary for US Senate.
                          Walker didn't win because of a Trump endorsement.

Sanders was a shoo-in in Arkansas regardless of any endorsement.

Still, Trump's support has definitely helped some candidates, but it had no real effect here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            There was a concerted effort by the Republican establishment to protect Gov. Kemp at any cost, so even though the media is gleefully reporting this as a bellwether signalling the dimishment of Trump's influence, I don't buy it since Trump supported candidates did very well in other elections, including Herschel Walker, also in Georgia, running away with the primary for US Senate, Sarah Sanders in Arkansas who crushed the primary for governor, and John Boozman handily winning the Arkansan primary for US Senate.
                            I'm seeing red.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I’m guessing you didn’t get the reference either. Google it, cause it’s a beaut.

Dinesh D’Souza Just Made an Enemy Out of Fox News
                              Far-right provocateur Dinesh D’Souza seems to have—at least for the time being—fully nuked his relationship with Fox News.

Over the past two weeks, D’Souza has raged against Fox and rival Newsmax for snubbing his election-denying film, 2,000 Mules, which has been shredded by fact-checkers and news outlets over its “gaping holes” and provably false claims about voter fraud in the 2020 election.

D’Souza took specific aim at Tucker Carlson for allegedly suppressing mentions of his batty flick, going as far as sharing a series of supposed text messages—which he characterized as “highly abusive”—from the Fox host’s executive producer Justin Wells.

Apparently throwing bombs at Fox‘s prized primetime host, a right-wing media kingmaker, may have been unwise: After having appeared on longtime friend Laura Ingraham’s nightly Fox News show at least 15 times this year, D’Souza has all but disappeared.

His final appearance on Fox airwaves came on April 27, when he beamed into Larry Kudlow’s FBN show to promote the film and get a hearty endorsement from the former Trump economic adviser.

Aside from D’Souza attacking the network’s crown jewel, it’s not too hard to figure out why he’s been silenced: Just like Newsmax, Fox is currently being sued by voting software firms for peddling false claims that their voting machines flipped the election for Joe Biden.

And while D’Souza’s doc has predictably received praise from some of Trump’s most loyal acolytes, some key MAGA media figures have distanced themselves from the film’s most outlandish claims.

Neither Fox News nor D’Souza responded to requests for comment.

It’s not “If I couldn’t win Georgia, nobody can,” beautiful. The basic premise, calling on the Lord of Light to revive a dead prophet, is hackneyed by now. The film’s got nothing, but the meta’s got everything else you’d want from a modern-day Game of Thrones.

​​​​​​​
                              Given my response, I would say that I understood the reference.

Comment