Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's influence waning?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

    That's a world - and not in this universe. Though we have a river here (or in a neighbouring state anyway) that is considered to be upside down.
    Wrong mythos.

    I believe they are mentioned in the stories regarding Sinbad and the Arabian Nights. If not they aren't uncommon in animes and D&D




    In D&D they're called Zaratans

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Wrong mythos.

      I believe they are mentioned in the stories regarding Sinbad and the Arabian Nights. If not they aren't uncommon in animes and D&D




      In D&D they're called Zaratans
      Turtle Growth.jpg

      Ah yes - this photo was taken when it was still a baby.
      1Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω
      Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      .
      "It is not divine truth that makes the man seem more innocent in what is equally sinful, but human wrong-headedness." AUGUSTINE: re adultery

      "The synoptic gospels claim that Jesus was crucified on the 15th day of Nisan and buried on the 14th day of Nisan:" Majority Consensus

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by tabibito View Post

        Turtle Growth.jpg

        Ah yes - this photo was taken when it was still a baby.
        You were saving that just waiting for my response, weren't you?

        I'm always still in trouble again

        "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

        Comment


        • #79
          Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          You were saving that just waiting for my response, weren't you?
          Truth to tell, your pic triggered a memory so I checked Google. Sure enough, snake necked turtle, Great Ocean Road.
          1Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω
          Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          .
          "It is not divine truth that makes the man seem more innocent in what is equally sinful, but human wrong-headedness." AUGUSTINE: re adultery

          "The synoptic gospels claim that Jesus was crucified on the 15th day of Nisan and buried on the 14th day of Nisan:" Majority Consensus

          Comment


          • #80
            That’s just wrong.
            .
            "Your theory that the sun is the centre of the solar system, and the earth is a ball which rotates around it has a very convincing ring to it, Mr. James, but it's wrong. I've got a better theory," said the little old lady.

            "And what is that, madam?" inquired James politely.

            "That we live on a crust of earth which is on the back of a giant turtle."

            Not wishing to demolish this absurd little theory by bringing to bear the masses of scientific evidence he had at his command, James decided to gently dissuade his opponent by making her see some of the inadequacies of her position.

            "If your theory is correct, madam," he asked, "what does this turtle stand on?"

            "You're a very clever man, Mr. James, and that's a very good question," replied the little old lady, "but I have an answer to it. And it's this: The first turtle stands on the back of a second, far larger, turtle, who stands directly under him."

            "But what does this second turtle stand on?" persisted James patiently.

            To this, the little old lady crowed triumphantly,

            "It's no use, Mr. James—it's turtles all the way down."

            — J. R. Ross, Constraints on Variables in Syntax, 1967

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

              That’s just wrong.
              .
              "Your theory that the sun is the centre of the solar system, and the earth is a ball which rotates around it has a very convincing ring to it, Mr. James, but it's wrong. I've got a better theory," said the little old lady.

              "And what is that, madam?" inquired James politely.

              "That we live on a crust of earth which is on the back of a giant turtle."

              Not wishing to demolish this absurd little theory by bringing to bear the masses of scientific evidence he had at his command, James decided to gently dissuade his opponent by making her see some of the inadequacies of her position.

              "If your theory is correct, madam," he asked, "what does this turtle stand on?"

              "You're a very clever man, Mr. James, and that's a very good question," replied the little old lady, "but I have an answer to it. And it's this: The first turtle stands on the back of a second, far larger, turtle, who stands directly under him."

              "But what does this second turtle stand on?" persisted James patiently.

              To this, the little old lady crowed triumphantly,

              "It's no use, Mr. James—it's turtles all the way down."

              — J. R. Ross, Constraints on Variables in Syntax, 1967
              "Turtles all the way down" has become a famous quip but is based on an older work with a similar exchange where rock was used instead of turtles. Not nearly as funny

              Besides, the evidence I was able to gather shows no evidence for the turtles going past three.



              I'm always still in trouble again

              "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

              Comment


              • #82
                Poll: Liz Cheney Sinks 30 Points Behind Trump-Endorsed Harriet Hageman in WY GOP Primary

                cheney.jpg
                Attached Files
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  "Turtles all the way down" has become a famous quip but is based on an older work with a similar exchange where rock was used instead of turtles. Not nearly as funny

                  Besides, the evidence I was able to gather shows no evidence for the turtles going past three.


                  Huh.


                  I'm always still in trouble again

                  "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Ouch.

                    Throw the bums out.
                    "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Unlike Joe Manchin (D-WV), who's maverick opposition to some of the left's more ambitious plans plays very well with his constituents, the people of Wyoming were not at all thrilled with Liz Cheney's antics. I'm surprised she ran for reelection (that's from 10 months ago).

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Unlike Joe Manchin (D-WV), who's maverick opposition to some of the left's more ambitious plans plays very well with his constituents, the people of Wyoming were not at all thrilled with Liz Cheney's antics. I'm surprised she ran for reelection (that's from 10 months ago).
                        How much does anyone want to wager that she'll get a spot on The View when this is all over as the "reasonable" (token) conservative viewpoint.
                        "What am I doing here?" -- Joe Biden 2021

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Originally posted by seanD View Post

                          How much does anyone want to wager that she'll get a spot on The View when this is all over as the "reasonable" (token) conservative viewpoint.
                          A big-spending, anti Trump, war mongerer? They may not notice any difference.
                          "You should just assume going forward that if I am ever wrong it is a typo" - Backup
                          "
                          Reality simply does not change based upon consensus or desire." - rogue

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by seanD View Post

                            How much does anyone want to wager that she'll get a spot on The View when this is all over as the "reasonable" (token) conservative viewpoint.
                            OR a high profile spot as a political analyst on CNN or MSNBC.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

                              That’s just wrong.
                              .
                              "Your theory that the sun is the centre of the solar system, and the earth is a ball which rotates around it has a very convincing ring to it, Mr. James, but it's wrong. I've got a better theory," said the little old lady.

                              "And what is that, madam?" inquired James politely.

                              "That we live on a crust of earth which is on the back of a giant turtle."

                              Not wishing to demolish this absurd little theory by bringing to bear the masses of scientific evidence he had at his command, James decided to gently dissuade his opponent by making her see some of the inadequacies of her position.

                              "If your theory is correct, madam," he asked, "what does this turtle stand on?"

                              "You're a very clever man, Mr. James, and that's a very good question," replied the little old lady, "but I have an answer to it. And it's this: The first turtle stands on the back of a second, far larger, turtle, who stands directly under him."

                              "But what does this second turtle stand on?" persisted James patiently.

                              To this, the little old lady crowed triumphantly,

                              "It's no use, Mr. James—it's turtles all the way down."

                              — J. R. Ross, Constraints on Variables in Syntax, 1967
                              Wasn't there a giant turtle thing in "Avatar: The Last Airbender" cartoon?
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

                              Beige Federalist.

                              "Everybody is somebody's heretic."

                              Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

                              Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

                              Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

                              Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

                              Justice for Matthew Perna!

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

                                Wasn't there a giant turtle thing in "Avatar: The Last Airbender" cartoon?
                                That was the first one I thought of when I wrote of them being in anime -- although it isn't an anime.

                                I'm always still in trouble again

                                "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                                Comment

                                Related Threads

                                Collapse

                                Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seer, Today, 01:02 PM
                                9 responses
                                26 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seer
                                by seer
                                 
                                Started by RumTumTugger, Yesterday, 10:33 AM
                                6 responses
                                47 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by seer, Yesterday, 07:13 AM
                                13 responses
                                82 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post rogue06
                                by rogue06
                                 
                                Started by seer, 07-04-2022, 12:42 PM
                                27 responses
                                284 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Mountain Man  
                                Started by Gondwanaland, 07-03-2022, 01:34 PM
                                9 responses
                                90 views
                                0 likes
                                Last Post Stoic
                                by Stoic
                                 
                                Working...
                                X