Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas School Slaughter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Somewhat different circumstances, but there was an office rampage shooting in California some 15 years ago. I saw a photo layout of the floor where it happened and it was similar to where I worked at the time. So, I processed the event in my head had it happened at my office; escape or hide or attack - depending on where the shooter came in, how he was armed, where I was at the time, who all was present, etc. Just over and over. I feel I was prepared for that situation had it occurred. I wouldn't need to process much on the fly.

Of course, it's not possible for officers to anticipate every situation, but school shootings (in general) seems like an obvious one.
    For Churches, public theaters, etc... one of the BIGGEST problems is people seem to have it fixed in their minds that they have to exit the same door they entered, and if that door is blocked, or is where the attacker is, they're stuck.

ALWAYS look for alternate exits and do what you're saying --- play the scenario --- if bad stuff happened, what would I do, where would I go, etc...

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Several have asked, no solid answers -- supposedly, he used a DEBIT card, which means he had that much money in the bank.
    Hm, ok.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Did anyone mention how the shooter was able to buy all his weapons body armor etc? I'm hearing around $6,000 worth...although I understand the body armor wasn't full?
    Several have asked, no solid answers -- supposedly, he used a DEBIT card, which means he had that much money in the bank.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Did anyone mention how the shooter was able to buy all his weapons body armor etc? I'm hearing around $6,000 worth...although I understand the body armor wasn't full?

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Alien View Post

So, let's examine (in general terms) this catch-22 you have set up. There's something that someone perceives as bad and wants to regulate. What to do? Suggest regulations or don't. If you do, it will, temporarily at least, boost what you are trying to suppress as people stockpile whatever it is. If you don't suggest regulations, nothing is going to happen, because there will be no chance of regulations being set up. So from your (CP) pov the answer is to do nothing and put up with the bad thing, whatever it may be.

Pick an example where you do support regulations and explain how you would get round this apparent impasse. My suggestion is that if you are convinced that the regulations are required, then propose them. If it works, the temporary surge will be negated by the regulations. If it doesn't, then at least you tried, and maybe next time you will succeed. In no case give up because people don't like what you are suggesting.
    Because their policies fail to pass every time. What's the definition of doing something over and over expecting different results? It likely fails probably because it's a bad look trying to push gun control policy every time there's a mass shooting. It looks gross and opportunistic. Dems also know that even if they managed a miracle to pass something, it would likely get shot down by the courts. So they do it anyway, likely for political strategy, which looks even more disgusting.

Leave a comment: