Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas School Slaughter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

It makes me wonder at what an office on the scene should say, "To hell with the orders, I'm going to save some lives!"
    That is EXACTLY the active shooter training since Columbine --- the ONE time an officer can scrap chain of command and complete a mission.

I honestly would not be the least bit surprised if the "training" the school cops and city cops did in Uvalde was in an air conditioned room watching a PowerPoint show.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That is EXACTLY the active shooter training since Columbine --- the ONE time an officer can scrap chain of command and complete a mission.

I honestly would not be the least bit surprised if the "training" the school cops and city cops did in Uvalde was in an air conditioned room watching a PowerPoint show.
      By the way, our guys (local police and SROs) do ACTIVE training, in each of the school campuses, with varying scenarios.
      There's just something about "muscle memory" and actual physical training that you'll never get in a classroom.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So now [ looking to make sure this is the right thread ] the Mayor of Uvalde is mad as h-e-double hocky sticks at the DPS director, claiming he's lying and leaking.... and "the gloves are off".

So the idiot mayor wants a peeing contest, not "just the facts, ma'am".
        He said he didn't want scapegoats.

Nobody does.

But that doesn't mean that if someone did royally screw up that they shouldn't be held accountable.

After all, this isn't the Biden Administration.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Now this is interesting. Looks like Arredondo might just lose his little City Council job. He didn't show up to an emergency meeting, and didn't show up to another recent regular meeting. At that second meeting, a lady asked that the council not grant him the leave of absence from the council that he requested, because he seems to be avoiding having to face the public. The council agreed (apparently had been considering giving it to him until they heard what the citizens that showed up wanted).

https://twitter.com/MythSerene/statu...30037736366080

So now, he's missed one official meeting, and if he misses two more, the council can declare it vacated under their rules, and hold an election for that seat.

So either he shows up to face the public in the next two meetings.... or he loses that job (already suspended/paid leave for his Chief position currently).

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
            Now this is interesting. Looks like Arredondo might just lose his little City Council job. He didn't show up to an emergency meeting, and didn't show up to another recent regular meeting. At that second meeting, a lady asked that the council not grant him the leave of absence from the council that he requested, because he seems to be avoiding having to face the public. The council agreed (apparently had been considering giving it to him until they heard what the citizens that showed up wanted).

So now, he's missed one official meeting, and if he misses two more, the council can declare it vacated under their rules, and hold an election for that seat.

So either he shows up to face the public in the next two meetings.... or he loses that job (already suspended/paid leave for his Chief position currently).
            Two questions, Gondy...
            A) Have we ever determined that the city council job is a paying job? I think it most likely is, but don't know for sure.
            2) If so, do we have an idea how much?

Meanwhile, I am greatly encouraged that actual video is being released (at least in part) to support the latter end (revised part) of the everchanging time line.

Comment

Two questions, Gondy...
              A) Have we ever determined that the city council job is a paying job? I think it most likely is, but don't know for sure.
              2) If so, do we have an idea how much?

Meanwhile, I am greatly encouraged that actual video is being released (at least in part) to support the latter end (revised part) of the everchanging time line.
              Dunno, Haven't been interested enough to look.

Comment

Now this is interesting. Looks like Arredondo might just lose his little City Council job. He didn't show up to an emergency meeting, and didn't show up to another recent regular meeting. At that second meeting, a lady asked that the council not grant him the leave of absence from the council that he requested, because he seems to be avoiding having to face the public. The council agreed (apparently had been considering giving it to him until they heard what the citizens that showed up wanted).

Even more interesting, it looks like this is the only way to get rid of him for at least 8 months:
                https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022...-in-her-favor/

A Uvalde resident appeared to discover a loophole in city policy that changed the course of a nationally watched vote during Tuesday’s council meeting.

Kim Hammond, who lives a few houses away from Robb Elementary School, testified against a motion to grant beleaguered Uvalde schools police Chief Pete Arredondo a “leave of absence from future meetings.”

“You said ‘we don’t have the power to fire him’,” Hammond said while speaking to Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin and the rest of the council. “Let me give you a simple out.”

Arredondo has been blamed by state police officials for an “abject failure” and delayed response to the massacre that killed 21 people at the school on May 24.

The embattled Arredondo was elected to represent Uvalde city council district 3 in the May 7 election and was privately sworn in as a city council member on May 31, just one week after the shooting.

He has largely been in hiding since a few days after the shooting, and has not attended city council.

“Why the hell would you (grant a leave of absence)? Let him miss! Three meetings, he’s my councilman, let him miss three,” Hammond said. “Don’t waste any more time on him...Don’t give him an out. We don’t want him. We want him out.”

According to city policy, Hammond testified, if Arredondo misses three meetings then a special election can be called and he can be voted out.

Hammond said Uvalde citizens wanted to do a recall petition to remove Arredondo from his council position but because he hasn’t been in the seat for 8 months — a recall petition couldn’t remove him.

“We had so much enthusiasm in it right away,” Hammond said of the petition. But after finding out that he couldn’t be removed due to his short time in office — she called it “BS.”

“I ask you, do the right thing and deny the leave of absence. Let Mr. Arredondo fall on his own sword,” the resident added.

After her plea, Councilman Ernest “Chip” King addressed the room.

“I’ve heard you guys and this bothers me a whole lot. I had an idea when I came in here that I was going to do a very short grant leave of absence...so you guys wouldn’t see him,” King said of Arredondo. “But I don’t need to talk a whole lot more. I make a motion we do not grant the leave of absence for councilman.”

The Uvalde City Council voted unanimously to deny Councilman Pete Arredondo’s request for “a leave of absence from future council meetings” following Hammond’s speech

Comment

Even more interesting, it looks like this is the only way to get rid of him for at least 8 months:
                  https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2022...-in-her-favor/
                  Looks like rather than face the people or get replaced for not showing up, he's decided to resign from the city council position
                  https://www.statesman.com/story/news...il/7796553001/

Comment

Looks like rather than face the people or get replaced for not showing up, he's decided to resign from the city council position
                    https://www.statesman.com/story/news...il/7796553001/
                    Wow, he's finally doing something right?

Comment

• And the DA is not allowing the release of the school's hallway video?

Comment

• FVehbifUUAAIktg.jpg

Comment

• OK, so SOME of that 70 minute video is about to be released.

Comment

• The Austin Statesman now has hallway footage from the school. It's released edited portions and apparently will release the full footage as well.

I can see why they tried to keep it from being released. Its a clear visual of just how many officers were there and how well armed and equipped they were (complete with multiple ballistic shields. It shows even early, not long after the shooter enters, there are at least 6 cops who enter and then run away to the end of the haml when they hear shooting. Wvwey single one could have rushed him and ended this with minimal deaths.
                            https://www.statesman.com/story/news...e/65370384007/

Comment

• Moment Uvalde cops RESTRAINED colleague, whose daughter was one of 22 dead, from taking down school shooter, before 17 of them ran away from gunfire

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The Austin Statesman now has hallway footage from the school. It's released edited portions and apparently will release the full footage as well.

I can see why they tried to keep it from being released. Its a clear visual of just how many officers were there and how well armed and equipped they were (complete with multiple ballistic shields. It shows even early, not long after the shooter enters, there are at least 6 cops who enter and then run away to the end of the haml when they hear shooting. Wvwey single one could have rushed him and ended this with minimal deaths.
                                https://www.statesman.com/story/news...e/65370384007/
                                My first reaction is that the story of the cops standing outside for an hour are wrong. There were cops in the hall within a few minutes of the gunman going in.
                                Second reaction is: why the hell didn't they do anything? They were right there. Cowards.

Comment