Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas School Slaughter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alien View Post
    Whenever this happens, I have the same thoughts and come to the same conclusions. There will be a lot of shouting and crying, and nothing will be done.

The problem is this. The only way to stop (or significantly reduce) gun violence is to get rid of guns. Look at Australia. They had a mass shooting and immediately banned most gun sales and instituted a buy-back program. I lived in Oz for a couple of years and it doesn't surprise me that people agreed to it. Australians tend to be very community conscious. They are much more ready to give up some rights for the good of everyone. Putting it another way, they valued the lives of the victims higher than their right to own guns.

So, why not do it here? Simple, people in general here value their 2nd Amendment rights so highly that they are prepared to accept the collateral damage that results. I've carried out a personal and obviously unscientific survey over the years. I pick people who are greatly in favor of gun control and ask them if they would support repealing the 2nd Amendment. The answer has been "no" in pretty much every case. Another thing. Have you noticed that Politicians who speak up in the wake of these disasters and demand more gun control always slip in something to the effect that they support 2nd Amendment rights. They know perfectly well that any politician that spoke out against the 2nd Amendment would be toast in short order.

So, gun lovers, no need to get all worried when these mass shootings occur, Nothing meaningful is going to be done. Just wait for it all to calm down. Until the next time, when it will all repeat.
    And yet IIRC the mass murder stats before and after the Aussie gun bans/buybacks are basically identical. And criminals are still very well armed in Australia.

Comment

• Some video from outside, as parents demanded police act. Toward the beginning you can see police pinning down someone one the ground, not clear if that's the man they threw to the ground, the man they tased, or the man they pepper sprayed.

https://twitter.com/FamilysSoupTV/st...lTQJMg3ZtPvdcg

I can't imagine being one of those parents, watching the police do more to you and your fellow parents than they're willing to do to the person inside potentially murdering your kids while they stand around with their thumbs up their rectal orifices in between beating up distraught parents. Only thing I do know is I'd probably be in jail for assault on an officer by the end of that day if I had been there and that had been my kids inside.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You could cut off the hinges or remove the pins. Bad design.
        Hinge pins can be secured, and hardened metal hinges would not be easy to cut.

But remember, we're not talking bank vault security, simply "hardening" a school building from someone being able to simply walk, and a "one way" door of that type would be perfect.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Whenever this happens, I have the same thoughts and come to the same conclusions. There will be a lot of shouting and crying, and nothing will be done.

The problem is this. The only way to stop (or significantly reduce) gun violence is to get rid of guns. Look at Australia.
          Australia is an island nation. The U.S. has two borders, one is completely open right now (thanks to our globalists in charge) where illegal weapons can come across as easily as illegal immigrants and illegal narcotics. So, once this "buyback" is complete, only criminals will have guns. This isn't Australia.

They had a mass shooting and immediately banned most gun sales and instituted a buy-back program. I lived in Oz for a couple of years and it doesn't surprise me that people agreed to it. Australians tend to be very community conscious. They are much more ready to give up some rights for the good of everyone. Putting it another way, they valued the lives of the victims higher than their right to own guns.

So, why not do it here? Simple, people in general here value their 2nd Amendment rights so highly that they are prepared to accept the collateral damage that results. I've carried out a personal and obviously unscientific survey over the years. I pick people who are greatly in favor of gun control and ask them if they would support repealing the 2nd Amendment. The answer has been "no" in pretty much every case. Another thing. Have you noticed that Politicians who speak up in the wake of these disasters and demand more gun control always slip in something to the effect that they support 2nd Amendment rights. They know perfectly well that any politician that spoke out against the 2nd Amendment would be toast in short order.

So, gun lovers, no need to get all worried when these mass shootings occur, Nothing meaningful is going to be done. Just wait for it all to calm down. Until the next time, when it will all repeat.
          I don't own a gun, and my argument isn't even about the 2nd Amendment. It's about practicality.

But using the 2A as an argument, the point is that of having an armed citizenry. Look at Ukraine.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

I'm sure phony Dems like Beto love it when it happens.
            He just filmed a campaign ad for the Republican Governor.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
              Some video from outside, as parents demanded police act. Toward the beginning you can see police pinning down someone one the ground, not clear if that's the man they threw to the ground, the man they tased, or the man they pepper sprayed.

https://twitter.com/FamilysSoupTV/st...lTQJMg3ZtPvdcg

I can't imagine being one of those parents, watching the police do more to you and your fellow parents than they're willing to do to the person inside potentially murdering your kids while they stand around with their thumbs up their rectal orifices in between beating up distraught parents. Only thing I do know is I'd probably be in jail for assault on an officer by the end of that day if I had been there and that had been my kids inside.
              It's almost like they were possessed by evil spirits or something -- I've never seen anything quite like it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I still can't fathom how he thinks these antics will work in Texas. Maybe it's not an act after all; maybe he really is just purely delusional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

And yet IIRC the mass murder stats before and after the Aussie gun bans/buybacks are basically identical. And criminals are still very well armed in Australia.

https://www.sciencealert.com/20-year...ding-they-work

The study found there have been no fatal mass shootings since April 1996 - despite experiencing one every two to three years in the decades leading up to the changes. There's also been an overall drop in the number of people killed by guns.

The researchers found that there had been 13 fatal mass shootings in the 18 years prior to the new laws being rolled out, killing 104 people. But in the 20 years since, there have been none.

And while the rate of total firearm deaths was already in decline before the gun control reform, since then, it's dropped almost twice as fast. Gun-related suicides have followed a similar trend.

Read the whole thing to see that the drop in firearm deaths was already going down, so it can't be definitively proven that the new regulations were totally the cause, but it seems likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Hinge pins can be secured, and hardened metal hinges would not be easy to cut.

But remember, we're not talking bank vault security, simply "hardening" a school building from someone being able to simply walk, and a "one way" door of that type would be perfect.
                    Yup - All you have to do is make THAT door more difficult than others.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

I still can't fathom how he thinks these antics will work in Texas. Maybe it's not an act after all; maybe he really is just purely delusional.
                      I do believe he's delusional, but I also think he's totally ignoring the fact that Hispanics in Texas are moving RIGHT.

Beto is your typical "it's all about ME" elitist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'll just address this point. The liberals NEED this issue to justify gun grabbing. If they were REALLY serious about school safety, things could be a LOT different.
                        These two words alone illustrate my point about the gun culture.

Comment

https://www.sciencealert.com/20-year...ding-they-work

The study found there have been no fatal mass shootings since April 1996 - despite experiencing one every two to three years in the decades leading up to the changes. There's also been an overall drop in the number of people killed by guns.

The researchers found that there had been 13 fatal mass shootings in the 18 years prior to the new laws being rolled out, killing 104 people. But in the 20 years since, there have been none.

And while the rate of total firearm deaths was already in decline before the gun control reform, since then, it's dropped almost twice as fast. Gun-related suicides have followed a similar trend.

Read the whole thing to see that the drop in firearm deaths was already going down, so it can't be definitively proven that the new regulations were totally the cause, but it seems likely.
                          Sure, mass shootings. But I said mass murders, of which mass shootings are a subset. The stats haven't changed, the tools and methods are the only thing that changed.

I should also note that your source (or whatever research it cites) patently lied in its claim that in the 20 years since, there have been no mass shootings in Australia. Monash University 2002. Oakhampton Heights Shooting 20005. Hunt Family murders 2014. Parramatta Shooting 2015. There have been more after 2016 but your source is thru 2016. So yeah, they lied to you.
                          Last edited by Gondwanaland; 05-27-2022, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Australia is an island nation. The U.S. has two borders, one is completely open right now (thanks to our globalists in charge) where illegal weapons can come across as easily as illegal immigrants and illegal narcotics. So, once this "buyback" is complete, only criminals will have guns. This isn't Australia.

I don't own a gun, and my argument isn't even about the 2nd Amendment. It's about practicality.

But using the 2A as an argument, the point is that of having an armed citizenry. Look at Ukraine.
                            The "Australian argument" anti-gun advocates constantly go to has been debunked so many times, it's almost pointless to even keep doing it.

Comment

These two words alone illustrate my point about the gun culture.
                              No --- Beto, who tries to place himself at the center of this, PROUDLY claimed he would "grab our guns"....

“Hell yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47,” O’Rourke said at a debate when he was running for president. Now he's running for governor and said he won't be backing down from the statement.

This idiot is running for Governor of Texas as a DEMOCRAT --- those are HIS words, not mine.

Comment

• So, having just watched Gov Abbott's presser --- stating he was livid at the misinformation he was given initially....

this should remind us once again -- the first reports from the field are always wrong.

Comment