Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas School Slaughter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by myth View Post

That seems more reasonable than what I thought you were saying. Like the Texas governor mentioned, we had lax gun laws 60 years ago and didn't have these types of shootings happening. So access to guns isn't likely to explain this phenomenon. It's our culture that's changed. Precisely what those changes are, we might all debate. But I do think our culture is a contributing factor in a big way.
    284169233_2641689712630548_2620337620570547675_n.jpg
    They were almost never used until the government kept telling everyone they'd be ideal for a mass shootings

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

The first perpetrator (Whitman?) set the precedent for others to follow. It only takes one individual to think of attacking schools, and then the copycats have a template.
      And the perpetrators of the Columbine massacre were virtually made martyrs in some quarters with some commiserating over how they were bullied. Basically, a signal was sent out to anyone with a couple loose screws that if you feel bullied, or are just an outsider, and if you want folks to finally pay attention to you, this is one way to do it.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        I would tend to think a shotgun wouldn't make for as good a mass-killing weapon as modern automatic rifles. Presumably with a shotgun there would be time for people to get away between reloads, or fight back, and presumably it would pose less of a threat to officers considering engaging the suspect, as compared to modern automatic weapons...?
        Which cases are you thinking of where fully automatic weapons were being used? I mean a bunch of weapons might be more dangerous than a shotgun (in which one round usually does more damage than a bullet does), such as RPGs and flamethrowers, but if they aren't being used then why bring them up?

Comment

Of course. Because every person who supports guns being this prevalent has these childrens' blood on their hands. It's not exactly a complicated issue of moral responsibility. You guys are responsible for the outcomes of policies you push, and this was the statistically inevitable result, and everyone in the world knows it.

I was horrified by Abbott's grandstanding with those people all standing behind him on stage. Someone needed to ring a bell and chant "shame, shame" until they all felt in their bones the pathetic callousness of their self-serving political grandstanding. I don't understand what can have been in their minds to stand on that stage as such immoral and disgusting political tools. Beto was absolutely right in calling them out, and it's shocking everyone else in the room didn't join him in it. The guy who shouted him down is going straight to hell if it exists. If Texans have any consciences whatsoever every single one of them they would vote Beto over Abbott.
          Perhaps the homepage of The Onion says it all?

"No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

https://www.theonion.com/
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

When the citizens of the town, including people who lost family members in the shooting, were interviewed, they didn't like Beto's narcissistic campaign grandstanding at all.
            Nearly all of the support for Beto's grandstanding ploy that I've heard has come from Hollyweird and newsrooms in Washington and New York City.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I'm not interested in a debate with you now that I recognize who and what you are from past discussions and your bootlicking and denial of science whilst insisting we listen to you as an 'expert'. Run along, fascist.
              I prefer not to debate with intellectual children, so we are in agreement that we don't wish to talk with each other further. Wipe the saliva off your mouth, pick up your crayons, and go home.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

I don't know why Christians get so defensive about preternatural evil. Sure there are Christians that when they mention evil activity they imagine the exorcist, but not all of us view it that simplistically. When Paul said what he said in Ephesians 6:12, I don't believe we all assume Paul meant that all the Jewish and Roman leaders attacking Christians were all demon possessed. Obviously something profound is happening in our generation since children frequently mass killing other children has never happened like this before. If I were an atheist, I'd look to something entirely unique in our generation, like maybe social media. But if social media is contributing to this mass psychosis of our society, then that's even more frightening to me than a theological explanation.
                Because of nut jobs that over-spiritualize normal happenings and try to rely only on prayer when there are clear practical steps to be taken. I'm not saying that's you by any means, but if you want to know why I'm suspicious of that sort of talk, that'd be why. And you should be genuinely afraid of what social media is doing to us. Ever time I look into the research on it, it's worse and worse.
                "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Do you miss it, yet?
                  Not yet. The opinions of some in this thread just make me glad I got out.

Comment

• If the gun control laws that the anti-gun crowd wants (stricter background checks, etc) were in effect, would it have prevented this shooter from buying guns? Had they went to the nth degree in researching his background, what would they have found as a basis for denying him the purchase? I understand he made some statement years ago that he would shoot up a school one day. Would this have shown up in a background check?

What are stricter background check going to achieve?

Or are they wanting to go further than just making deeper background checks?

Comment

• Gun sales increase after mass shootings - in engineering terms, it demonstrates positive feedback. A very bad characteristic of what is happening.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Gun sales increase after mass shootings - in engineering terms, it demonstrates positive feedback. A very bad characteristic of what is happening.
                        The reason that gun sales increase after mass shootings is because the gun control fascists start drumming up the gun control rhetoric. Gun control advocates are the world's best gun salesmen!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Y'know, I'm not sure I'd want some of the idiot teachers we saw Zoom-teaching during Lockdown to be armed.
                          Well, yeah, ya got a point there. But, fortunately, they're probably anti-gun, so it all works out.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I would tend to think a shotgun wouldn't make for as good a mass-killing weapon as modern automatic rifles.
                            Modern automatic rifles cannot be purchased by the average citizen.

Presumably with a shotgun there would be time for people to get away between reloads, or fight back, and presumably it would pose less of a threat to officers considering engaging the suspect, as compared to modern automatic weapons...?
                            You need to do a little research on the difference between semi-automatic weapons and fully automatic weapons.
                            "Modern automatic weapons" cannot be purchased by the citizenry at large. Special permits - very restrictive - are required.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Y'know, I'm not sure I'd want some of the idiot teachers we saw Zoom-teaching during Lockdown to be armed.
                              I've kind of changed my mind on that over the last couple of years after seeing too many of those currently in the teaching profession. I'm sure there are some teachers who would be qualified but watching how skewls run things I'm sure there will be a significant number carrying one who shouldn't be allowed within 10' of a squirt gun. It would be a tragedy (or tragedies) just waiting to happen.

Comment

I would tend to think a shotgun wouldn't make for as good a mass-killing weapon as modern automatic rifles. Presumably with a shotgun there would be time for people to get away between reloads, or fight back, and presumably it would pose less of a threat to officers considering engaging the suspect, as compared to modern automatic weapons...?
                                Since you appear to be asking in good faith, I'll explain further.

You are correct that a shotgun wouldn't make for "as good a mass-killing weapon" as the --- not "modern automatic rifle" - but semi-automatic rifle.

A semi-automatic - like the AR-15 - can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger, and ammo is available.
                                A "modern automatic rifle" can fire as long as ammo is available with one trigger pull.

A shotgun doesn't have the range, muzzle velocity, or capacity as a semi-auto rifle.

Comment