Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas School Slaughter...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

OK... it's obvious we both agree he's a major screw-up, and his mission in life now is to try to lie his way out of this.
    As many in the profession are wont to do when they so something bad.... Honestly we've gotten to the point where "cops" and "liars" are dang near synonyms.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It would be interesting to see what his actual experience is, not what's on his résumé
    From what I've seen, he has always been trying to suck-up his way into leadership. Kinda the Peter principle on steroids, and self-inflicted.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Same with most cops. Sadly most 'real cops' aren't good. He's a testament to his real cop training. As are most of the officers who sat there for an hour or so and listened to this twit, manhandled parents, and chased one inside who managed to rescue her kids from TWO different classrooms (that the cops STILL hadn't cleared), all after she'd driven 40 miles to get there (and who was then threatened to keep quiet in the days after, by said police)
    OK... it's obvious we both agree he's a major screw-up, and his mission in life now is to try to lie his way out of this.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

I don't wanna start another fight, Gondy, but does this sound like a "real cop" to you? I mean - he makes the Keystone Cops look like professionals.
    Same with most cops. Sadly most 'real cops' aren't good. He's a testament to his real cop training. As are most of the officers who sat there for an hour or so and listened to this twit whilst audible shots were heard, and then manhandled parents, and chased one inside who managed to rescue her kids from TWO different classrooms (that the cops STILL hadn't cleared), all after she'd driven 40 miles to get there (and who was then threatened to keep quiet in the days after, by said police)

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I don't wanna start another fight, Gondy, but does this sound like a "real cop" to you? I mean - he makes the Keystone Cops look like professionals.
    It would be interesting to see what his actual experience is, not what's on his résumé

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Oh and now his lawyer says he wants transcripts of past statements he's made before he cooperates further with the investigation because it's so 'hard to keep straight' - yeah, when you're lying it tends to be hard to keep things straight.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06...source=twitter

And then there's this gem:
    Ah yes, because we all know that speed and 'wanting to waste no time' was driving his decisions that day.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Oh and now his lawyer says he wants transcripts of past statements he's made before he cooperates further with the investigation because it's so 'hard to keep straight' - yeah, when you're lying it tends to be hard to keep things straight.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06...source=twitter
    The Rangers had asked Arredondo to come in for another interview, but he told investigators he could not do it on the day they asked because he was covering shifts for his officers, Hyde said.

“At no time did he communicate his unwillingness to cooperate with the investigation,” Hyde said. “His phone was flooded with calls and messages from numbers he didn’t recognize, and it’s possible he missed calls from DPS but still maintained daily interaction by phone with DPS assisting with logistics as requested.”

Hyde said Arredondo is open to cooperating with the Rangers investigation but would like to see a transcript of his previous comments.

“That’s a fair thing to ask for before he has to then discuss it again because, as time goes by, all the information that he hears, it’s hard to keep straight,” Hyde said.

And then there's this gem:
    Thinking he was the first officer to arrive and wanting to waste no time, Arredondo believed that carrying the radios would slow him down. One had a whiplike antenna that would hit him as he ran. The other had a clip that Arredondo knew would cause it to fall off his tactical belt during a long run.
    Ah yes, because we all know that speed and 'wanting to waste no time' was driving his decisions that day.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Wow. More lies from the coward to try to keep his grip on his new job.

And he can spare us the BS that he magically can't get in with a metal door jamb. He had an entire SWAT team, and every fire department has hydraulic tools among others that can take care of that swiftly. Not to mention you take out the hinges and/or the material around the hinges with breaching rounds (AKA Master Keys) in a shotgun and the door is done for. What an absolute load of horse manure.
    But, but, but... I was trying to put the cookie back IN the jar, not take a dozen out!!!

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied

Uvalde school police chief: Uh, I didn't know I was in charge at the scene

I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again: What was the point of the mass shooting drills organized by the district if they failed to iron out basic details like the chain of command once a shooting started?

They didn’t have protective shields at the ready. Their police radios didn’t work well inside the building. The school doors didn’t lock automatically. They didn’t have a master key that could quickly unlock any door in the district.

And now, it seems, even the chief didn’t know who was supposed to be in charge.

What did they do with that $69,000 grant they got from the state a few years ago to “harden” the school?

Pete Arredondo, the head of Uvalde school PD, finally gave an interview to the media after 17 days of silence. Jazz wrote about the case of the missing keys this morning, in which Arredondo resorted to trying one key after another on the locked classroom door before police rustled up one that worked. Cops couldn’t kick in the door because it was reinforced with a steel door jamb, ironically a measure designed to keep shooters out. And they didn’t have a master key because … they’re asleep on the job, I guess. “Robb Elementary did not have a modern system of locks and access control,” the Texas Tribune reported as part of its interview with Arredondo. “You’re talking about a key ring that’s got to weigh 10 pounds,” his lawyer told them.

“Make sure police can quickly enter any room in the district if necessary” never made it into the mass shooting protocols, evidently.

The stunner from the interview, though, is Arredondo insisting that he wasn’t the officer in command even though standard police training would suggest that he was. He was among the first officers to enter the building after shots began and remained camped out in the hallway for the duration, which led him to believe that he was a front-line responder in this case. Even though he was literally the highest-ranking school cop in the district.

Wow. More lies from the coward to try to keep his grip on his new job.

And he can spare us the BS that he magically can't get in with a metal door jamb. He had an entire SWAT team, and every fire department has hydraulic tools among others that can take care of that swiftly. Not to mention you take out the hinges and/or the material around the hinges with breaching rounds (AKA Master Keys) in a shotgun and the door is done for. What an absolute load of horse manure.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

I said it yesterday and I’ll say it again: What was the point of the mass shooting drills organized by the district if they failed to iron out basic details like the chain of command once a shooting started?

They didn’t have protective shields at the ready. Their police radios didn’t work well inside the building. The school doors didn’t lock automatically. They didn’t have a master key that could quickly unlock any door in the district.

What did they do with that $69,000 grant they got from the state a few years ago to “harden” the school?

Pete Arredondo, the head of Uvalde school PD, finally gave an interview to the media after 17 days of silence. Jazz wrote about the case of the missing keys this morning, in which Arredondo resorted to trying one key after another on the locked classroom door before police rustled up one that worked. Cops couldn’t kick in the door because it was reinforced with a steel door jamb, ironically a measure designed to keep shooters out. And they didn’t have a master key because … they’re asleep on the job, I guess. “Robb Elementary did not have a modern system of locks and access control,” the Texas Tribune reported as part of its interview with Arredondo. “You’re talking about a key ring that’s got to weigh 10 pounds,” his lawyer told them.

“Make sure police can quickly enter any room in the district if necessary” never made it into the mass shooting protocols, evidently.

The stunner from the interview, though, is Arredondo insisting that he wasn’t the officer in command even though standard police training would suggest that he was. He was among the first officers to enter the building after shots began and remained camped out in the hallway for the duration, which led him to believe that he was a front-line responder in this case. Even though he was literally the highest-ranking school cop in the district.

And from that, the question I've been asking since Day One....

Exit question: If I’m not mistaken, the classroom occupied by the gunman is on the first floor. Was there any attempt to position a sniper outside to take him out through the window in case he strode into view?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    I hate citing a TV show to make a point, but back when Cagney and Lacey was on (a show about two policewomen), there was an episode where there had been a shoot-out with police during which an innocent by-stander got shot. Before they left, and feeling sorry for the crying mother, they told her they were sorry about her son getting shot.

They got chewed out when they got back to the precinct because as their captain told them by apologizing they had admitted culpability and just opened the department up to a massive lawsuit.

This brought up a lot of talk at the time about how that is indeed the case and why cops tend to keep quiet after something like that.

So, while I'm not defending this guy, it is very likely that the city's lawyer, the police department's lawyer and his lawyer have repeatedly told him to keep quiet and do not issue any sort of statement. That of course will come across as not being remorseful.
    I don't expect him to make any sort of statement. If it were me, like I said earlier, I'd be so broken about it, I'd likely step down, and when confronted by reporters, I would probably just have remained silent. I certainly would not have lied and said I was keeping daily contact with the investigators when I wasn't. I will admit though, it doesn't necessarily prove he did this out of malice, just that he's pure evil and certainly capable of it.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I hate citing a TV show to make a point, but back when Cagney and Lacey was on (a show about two policewomen), there was an episode where there had been a shoot-out with police during which an innocent by-stander got shot. Before they left, and feeling sorry for the crying mother, they told her they were sorry about her son getting shot.

They got chewed out when they got back to the precinct because as their captain told them by apologizing they had admitted culpability and just opened the department up to a massive lawsuit.

This brought up a lot of talk at the time about how that is indeed the case and why cops tend to keep quiet after something like that.

So, while I'm not defending this guy, it is very likely that the city's lawyer, the police department's lawyer and his lawyer have repeatedly told him to keep quiet and do not issue any sort of statement. That of course will come across as not being remorseful.
    One of the cardinal rules of HR, when firing somebody - never apologize. It's hard, when you really like the person, and you want to comfort them, but same thing -- it opens that door of culpability.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post

d) The chief that ordered the stand down is unremorseful
    e) He had just recently participated in a training drill on how to take the shooter head-on.
    f) He's intimidating and threatening witnesses with false charges.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    It was probably inevitable, but it appears the conspiracy theories are popping up.

I've actually heard people declare "this was a setup" - that this event was 'allowed' so the left can push again - and harder - for gun control.

While I DO NOT believe this is "a setup", it's certainly understandable that people could jump to that conclusion based on....

A) How horribly wrong this went
    2) the multiple conflicting stories coming out of Uvalde
    c) the apparent inability to come up with an actual "straight facts" timeline.
    d) The chief that ordered the stand down is unremorseful
    e) He had just recently participated in a training drill on how to take the shooter head-on.
    f) He's intimidating and threatening witnesses with false charges.

Leave a comment: