Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Southern Baptist leaders covered up sex abuse, kept secret database, report says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Like sitting in the middle of the road as I was heading back from Friendly’s just now. Some freedoms are best enjoyed by those who’ve lost their will to live. There’s a time to mourn.
    Doing squirrely things in squirrely ways some times includes playing chicken with multi-ton metal monsters coming at you at 45mph

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    And time to send more observant spies.
    [*Snort*]

Says the guy who never noticed Kchtiik Tekkchit (Mr. Mowhawk) sitting on the back rest of your chair looking over your shoulder as you typed this.

Let's just put it this way, if it was a member of the vaunted NSA out on the road staring down that metal monster barreling down on him, the smart money is on the car being reduced to splinters -- which ain't easy.

Get thee behind me, Caffeithen!
    Murad IV was right.

No need to go that far. We love your childish memes.
    Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't let that stop you.

d9d64343-d993-4db6-bd01-81a37696138b.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Doing squirrely things in squirrely ways some times includes playing chicken with multi-ton metal monsters coming at you at 45mph
      Please, we might be out in the boonies, but we’re not uncivilized. We’ve got a paved road. We run down our squirrels at 55 mph. And we never take advantage of being outside anybody’s enforcement of posted speed limits in order to run them down faster.

That’s my story. And I’m sticking to it.

[*Snort*]

Says the guy who never noticed Kchtiik Tekkchit (Mr. Mowhawk) sitting on the back rest of your chair looking over your shoulder as you typed this.

Let's just put it this way, if it was a member of the vaunted NSA out on the road staring down that metal monster barreling down on him, the smart money is on the car being reduced to splinters -- which ain't easy.
      Need steely claws for that, like the steely claws attached to Ms. Actualhawk, last seen leaving the take-out window after launching from her regular perch just past the berm this morning. My squirrelish is kinda rough, but it sure did sound like a mixtape playing , “I get high with a little help from my friends” and “Got stoned and I missed it” before gliding beyond my hearing range.

Murad IV was right.
      If ya tell ya brudder he had a megachurch, it won’t matter, he’ll still kick him out of the convention.

Flattery will get you nowhere, but don't let that stop you.

d9d64343-d993-4db6-bd01-81a37696138b.jpg
      Common Sense, Pepe memes, same difference.

Comment

Need steely claws for that, like the steely claws attached to Ms. Actualhawk, last seen leaving the take-out window after launching from her regular perch just past the berm this morning. My squirrelish is kinda rough, but it sure did sound like a mixtape playing , “I get high with a little help from my friends” and “Got stoned and I missed it” before gliding beyond my hearing range.
        The only song that Kchtiik Tekkchit (Mr. Mowhawk) seems to know, and incessantly hums while either looking through a sniper scope or mixing Nair into someone's shampoo, is Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

I have absolutely no idea where he picked it up from though I'm starting to suspect maybe it was Squirrel Girl.

If ya tell ya brudder he had a megachurch, it won’t matter, he’ll still kick him out of the convention.
        Actually, it's more likely that if you tell the duffer-in-chief it was Mega Manga he'll poop himself -- or let out with a series of loud stinky farts like he did in England (apparently Chuck's wife, Camille, couldn't stop talking about that all night).

Common Sense, Pepe memes, same difference.
        joinordie456.jpg

Last edited by rogue06; 06-20-2022, 10:21 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

As mentioned previously, I follow some of the chess streamers on Twitch. As linked above, there’s been an effort to rehabilitate Pepe.

Pepe memes* are everywhere on Twitch, and after my initial reaction faded, I soon noticed none of them were related to white supremacy. To save you your own research budget, and embarrassment from asking questions to folks who regularly respond with “okay, boomer,” when the streamers tap the tips of their index fingers together, that means “pepe shy.”

Mission accomplished, I guess.

But no, I’ve never seen, and don’t imagine I’ll ever see, a pepe meme as evocative as that political cartoon.

* Also leant … a chad is an attractive guy. And kekw means the same thing as lolz. And, and, and … don’t even ask what they’ve done to my song, ma.

Comment

As mentioned previously, I follow some of the chess streamers on Twitch. As linked above, there’s been an effort to rehabilitate Pepe.

Pepe memes* are everywhere on Twitch, and after my initial reaction faded, I soon noticed none of them were related to white supremacy. To save you your own research budget, and embarrassment from asking questions to folks who regularly respond with “okay, boomer,” when the streamers tap the tips of their index fingers together, that means “pepe shy.”

Mission accomplished, I guess.

But no, I’ve never seen, and don’t imagine I’ll ever see, a pepe meme as evocative as that political cartoon.

* Also leant … a chad is an attractive guy. And kekw means the same thing as lolz. And, and, and … don’t even ask what they’ve done to my song, ma.
            I figured Pepe was "rehabilitated" by the time I became familiar with him late in Obama's presidency given that the few times I saw a meme with him in it there wasn't anything that resembled white supremacy. And FWIU, that was supposed to have been about the time that this association peaked.

Since that time I've seen... well, let's assume I forgot half of them but will count them any way... bringing the total up to three that had definite racist messaging.

Perhaps it's because I usually don't enlarge that many to look at because typically they had him with a sad look next to a picture or something incredibly creative like that.

Even so, I don't recall ever posting a Pepe meme, so I'm kinda wondering what all the above was about.

I mean, dude, when you posted this it was still not even noon, and yet it is obvious from this and that earlier post, that someone here is indulging.

I'll cut you some slack and assume you munched on some edibles thinking they were normal munchies.

Or are you re-living those hazy crazy wild child days of yore and still going strong from last night?

Comment

I mean, dude, when you posted this it was still not even noon, and yet it is obvious from this and that earlier post, that someone here is indulging.
              I’m not surprised you think anything over your head must be pot smoke. I’m disappointed you never share.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, again - the big blow-up, and the DEATH of the SBC was all going to be over this sexual abuse issue (what this thread was all about), but that fizzled big-time.

So, let's forget about the false prophet's premature pronouncement of the death of the SBC, and ... hey look!!!! It's RICK WARREN!!!!!

The Executive Committee is now receiving nominations for members who were replaced, resigned, left in shame, or whatever --- this will be pivotal, as it's the Executive Committee that actually "runs" the SBC when the SBC is not "in session" (annual meeting) for those 2 days every year.

We can rest assured that every new member of the committee will be subjected to intense scrutiny (by all sides) as to their suitability for implementing the recommendations that the Messengers overwhelmingly approved.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Executive Committee is now receiving nominations for members who were replaced, resigned, left in shame, or whatever --- this will be pivotal, as it's the Executive Committee that actually "runs" the SBC when the SBC is not "in session" (annual meeting) for those 2 days every year.

We can rest assured that every new member of the committee will be subjected to intense scrutiny (by all sides) as to their suitability for implementing the recommendations that the Messengers overwhelmingly approved.
                  They better be squeaky clean with no whiff of anything that could become problematic.

And then the still have to be competent. A factor often overlooked after this sort of thing.

Comment

They better be squeaky clean with no whiff of anything that could become problematic.

And then the still have to be competent. A factor often overlooked after this sort of thing.
                    On a negative note, it won't exactly "fix" the problem of bad pastors - it will just make them more cautious, not wanting to get caught.

But the biggest thing was that those in the Executive Committee knew of abuses, and ignored, hid, or covered them up.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I agree that competency is an overlooked virtue almost everywhere these days.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I agree that competency is an overlooked virtue almost everywhere these days.
                        Especially this current White House --- "let's hire the young black lesbian woman to be the spokesperson for the White House even though her only competency seems to be her ability to mimic Peppermint Patty".

Comment

Especially this current White House --- "let's hire the young black lesbian woman to be the spokesperson for the White House even though her only competency seems to be her ability to mimic Peppermint Patty".
                          Apparently she's doing so well people are pining for the return of PP.

Comment

Apparently she's doing so well people are pining for the return of PP.
                            But PP doesn't check as many boxes.

Comment

True but I was thinking more broadly and not just politics. We seem to be in an age where your race (as long as it's not white) and sex (as long as you're not a male) somehow make you a genius and able to solve all problems.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

True but I was thinking more broadly and not just politics. We seem to be in an age where your race (as long as it's not white) and sex (as long as you're not a male) somehow make you a genius and able to solve all problems.
                                Agreed - there are plenty of examples - some version of the Peter Principle with a wicked twist.

Comment