Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Southern Baptist leaders covered up sex abuse, kept secret database, report says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A) it's good that this has been made public
    2) it's not good if it was only made public because it was forced to be made public
    C) it appears, from reading some of the names, that some of those who appear to be innocent of wrong doing were covering up for (enabling) others who were not so innocent

Our church is considering what this means to us - that maybe it's time to distance ourselves, except that the MISSIONS program is still a vital concern and need.

It makes me sick.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm trying to hold off judgment until the Annual Meeting, just weeks from now.

I'm sure it will be a hot time in the ol' town then.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        2) it's not good if it was only made public because it was forced to be made public
        C) it appears, from reading some of the names, that some of those who appear to be innocent of wrong doing were covering up for (enabling) others who were not so innocent

Our church is considering what this means to us - that maybe it's time to distance ourselves, except that the MISSIONS program is still a vital concern and need.

It makes me sick.
        I am going to stick my nose in, and refer your attention to Titus 1:5
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There is a sort of inevitability that any organization large enough will have bad apples, even with the most stringent protections (universal background checks, rules prohibiting spending time alone with kids, etc.). There are a high number of teachers who get "involved" with students, and few would argue that this means that teachers are inherently bad (though some people have gone there). The analogy here would be the teachers' union working to undermine those investigations. And if a teachers' union did that to the extent that happened here, even they wouldn't be able to spin it in the court of public opinion. And a church, you would think, would have the moral compunction to actively root those bad apples out and seek justice.
          Last edited by KingsGambit; 05-24-2022, 04:22 PM.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

May God’s justice be upon those who would hurt his children and his mercy and protection be upon his children in need. Amen.
            I am become death...

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              There is a sort of inevitability that any organization large enough will have bad apples, even with the most stringent protections (universal background checks, rules prohibiting spending time alone with kids, etc.). There are a high number of teachers who get "involved" with students, and few would argue that this means that teachers are inherently bad (though some people have gone there). The analogy here would be the teachers' union working to undermine those investigations. And if a teachers' union did that to the extent that happened here, even they wouldn't be able to spin it in the court of public opinion. And a church, you would think, would have the moral compunction to actively root those bad apples out and seek justice.
              I think the Teachers Unions are FAR better at handling (as in hiding / covering up) this than an entity like the SBC -- they simply transfer bad teachers to other schools or districts.

But, I agree, it is FAR more incumbent upon a religions organization to police this moral failure than a pinko commie liberal leftist public sector union whose only job is to protect teachers and their jobs.

Comment

I think the Teachers Unions are FAR better at handling (as in hiding / covering up) this than an entity like the SBC -- they simply transfer bad teachers to other schools or districts.

But, I agree, it is FAR more incumbent upon a religions organization to police this moral failure than a pinko commie liberal leftist public sector union whose only job is to protect teachers and their jobs.
                Lemme take another run at that last part....

That's what this looks like -- it looks more and more like a "good ol' boys' network" whose job is to protect those who have failed, because, in many cases, those are the people who helped you advance your career. It's looking like a religious sector union "protecting our own", and being reluctant to speak out because it will kill "my path to stardom".

I'm kinda hot right now.

Comment

Stumbled upon this 14-month-old Patheos post by Jackson Wu, wherein he explains his reasons for leaving the SBC and IMB.

It's mostly about the IMB.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

It makes me sick.
                    It looks a lot like an old boys network where everyone has each other's back.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I'd call it an elitist network protecting those at the top.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Yup -- the Annual Meeting will be quite interesting, indeed.

Comment

Yup -- the Annual Meeting will be quite interesting, indeed.
                          Yeah, I understand that a whole lot of the attendees will be parents.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How could those fools think messing with the Good Shepherd's sheep was a good idea? Something about it being better to be drowned then what would happen.
                            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

It makes me sick.
                              I figured you'd weigh in on this. I skimmed sections of the report after reading about it here. It seems that if at least several of the perpetrators moved from church to church. The treatment of Ms. Lyell by Baptist Press was particularly disturbing; the article was altered for publication to imply that her relationship was consensual, costing her her job and reputation. I feel for the people at my former church, who have the burden of dealing with this as well. They're good people, as far as I can tell; the pastor's two children are upstanding young men with families of their own.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                I figured you'd weigh in on this. I skimmed sections of the report after reading about it here. It seems that if at least several of the perpetrators moved from church to church. The treatment of Ms. Lyell by Baptist Press was particularly disturbing; the article was altered for publication to imply that her relationship was consensual, costing her her job and reputation. I feel for the people at my former church, who have the burden of dealing with this as well. They're good people, as far as I can tell; the pastor's two children are upstanding young men with families of their own.
                                It's sick, OB.

Comment