Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Southern Baptist leaders covered up sex abuse, kept secret database, report says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I'll believe myself, and my extensive experience debating on hundreds of forums with thousands of pro-lifers, for several decades. Thanks tho, whacko.
    Nobody asked you what you believe (I sure didn't) and I couldn't care less, you're the one who inserted yourself into this conversation.
    "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post

Nobody asked you what you believe (I sure didn't) and I couldn't care less, you're the one who inserted yourself into this conversation.
      I 'inserted' myself into a discussion on a DISCUSSION FORUM, because you were spewing a load of horse manure, and needed correction. That you don't like correction (which numerous other posters have also provided), is your problem, sonny.

Comment

• Looks like pro life cowardice and double-talk on this issue goes back decades:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-773b88eab2b0/

His answer began with a flustered admission, ''I haven't sorted out the penalties . . .'' But it ended with the truth: ''Of course, there's got to be some penalties to enforce the law, whatever they may be.''

If the alarm buzzers went off in the Bush war room, it's because they know how to count. By any estimate some 15 million American women have had abortions since it's been legal. Everyone knows someone who's had one. Would they be criminals in Bush's America?

By morning, the handlers had ''clarified'' his position. No, no, the women wouldn't be prosecuted. They would be treated lovingly (not to mention patronizingly) as victims.

What would they be? In 1958, before the reform movement, 18 states had penalties for any woman who survived an illegal abortion. As late as 1972, before the Supreme Court decision, 15 states made performing abortion a crime, and 11 states made the woman a criminal. In nine states, it was even illegal to aid or counsel a woman to have an abortion.

If abortion were illegal, it would be a crime. Every crime has a criminal. Even George Bush, who hadn't ''sorted out'' the issue, knew that right off the bat. ''Of course there's got to be some penalties to enforce the law . . .'' Of course.
        Bottom line is that "pro-life" without punishing the woman is nonsense.

Forget the atrocious combination of moral evil and supreme cowardice necessary to criminalize abortion without penalizing the murderous woman, from a practical point it's virtually impossible to do it without punishing the female murderer.

Most women don't even need an abortionist to have an abortion, going across state lines to get an abortion pill is trivial (esp with corporate sponsorship) and the whole thing is so stupid I can't believe it's actually a topic of discussion.

Like I said earlier, the fake pro lifers in this thread & the broader "pro-life" movement are actually anti-abortion radical feminists.
        "As for my people, children are their oppressors, and women rule over them. O my people, they which lead thee cause thee to err, and destroy the way of thy paths." Isaiah 3:12

Comment

Looks like pro life cowardice and double-talk on this issue goes back decades:
          Or rather, you were just talking straight out of your bum earlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Or rather, you were just talking straight out of your bum earlier.
            Nah, you're probably just dishonest and cowardly, like Bush & the bulk of the pro life movement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Thanks, but I’ll be continuing my responses here.

This thread was started by Gondwanaland. If he thinks any of these side discussions belong elsewhere, I’m sure he’ll let us know. I generally address a number of related topics in my posts, and this one was no exception. I’m not keen on splitting apart posts that contain something or other that offends a bloated Texas preacher to appease his overweening need to be the biggest ripple in turd pond.

You woke up with a cowlick didn't you.

Or maybe

lao.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Nah, you're probably just dishonest and cowardly, like Bush & the bulk of the pro life movement.
                Nah, I just recognize your bovine defecation for what it is, as reality has shown me different for decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  When Trump floated a trial balloon about prosecuting the women who had an abortion it was shot down so fast that I doubt he even had time to release it. The response was overwhelmingly negative.
                  I heard him let that slip. Total cringer.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I heard him let that slip. Total cringer.
                    I had been concerned that Trump was merely saying things that would garner conservative support since he literally flipped on a number of issues nearly at one (immigration, gun control, taxes, abortion etc), and saw this as confirmation. Trump just assumed that those who oppose abortion want the women seeking one prosecuted.

Whatever the case it appears that Trump's ideological conversion was real (4 years of actions to back it up) so I'm not really sure what motivated that remark.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I had been concerned that Trump was merely saying things that would garner conservative support since he literally flipped on a number of issues nearly at one (immigration, gun control, taxes, abortion etc), and saw this as confirmation. Trump just assumed that those who oppose abortion want the women seeking one prosecuted.

Whatever the case it appears that Trump's ideological conversion was real (4 years of actions to back it up) so I'm not really sure what motivated that remark.
                      I chalk it up to his obsession with being "in your face" to liberals.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You woke up with a cowlick didn't you.
                        After a lifetime among the follicly challenged, I feel your pain. Keep in mind that perfect hair is a gift, not an accomplishment. There’s no need to feel inadequate. You can still find love.

And even if you can’t, you can still raise squirrels.

Or maybe

lao.jpg
                        I’m not sure how I’d come under the impression that the law code of Ur-Nammu —rather than Lipit-Ishtar — demanded the removal of a woman who’d borne a child by her husband from the household of a barren wife.

Of course that was a mortifying error. It demanded reconsideration of the basis for the claims I’d heard, and made, for the Abrahamic tradition’s origins in the kingdom of Sumer and Akkad.

It removed the direct connection to Abraham through the city of his birth. The tale of Hagar is among the earliest Abrahamic stories. Linking it instead to a law code from the Dynasty of Isin, two centuries after the fall of Ur III, hence two centuries after the likeliest birth date of Abraham, was problematic.

In the end, I decided to maintain the connection because of the close relationships between the dynasties, because law codes codify laws already in practice, and likely in long practice, and because there’s good reason to think the tale of Hagar was a late addition to the corpus of hero tales assembled under the Abraham archetype.

I put considerable thought into my posts.

So yes, I was displeased by the attempt to send them off to purgatory because Rick Warren has a bigger church than Cow Poke, and that makes Cow Poke sad. I can only suggest he take his petty jealousies, write them down, fold them into tight corners, and send them where that stick went.

Comment

After a lifetime among the follicly challenged, I feel your pain. Keep in mind that perfect hair is a gift, not an accomplishment. There’s no need to feel inadequate. You can still find love.
                          Unlike some here, I still have a full head of hair. Let it grow down longer than its been since the 80s until cutting it short a couple months back.

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                          And even if you can’t, you can still raise squirrels.
                          One does not "raise" squirrels. You have to let them be free to do squirrely things in squirrely ways.

I’m not sure how I’d come under the impression that the law code of Ur-Nammu —rather than Lipit-Ishtar — demanded the removal of a woman who’d borne a child by her husband from the household of a barren wife.

Of course that was a mortifying error. It demanded reconsideration of the basis for the claims I’d heard, and made, for the Abrahamic tradition’s origins in the kingdom of Sumer and Akkad.

It removed the direct connection to Abraham through the city of his birth. The tale of Hagar is among the earliest Abrahamic stories. Linking it instead to a law code from the Dynasty of Isin, two centuries after the fall of Ur III, hence two centuries after the likeliest birth date of Abraham, was problematic.

In the end, I decided to maintain the connection because of the close relationships between the dynasties, because law codes codify laws already in practice, and likely in long practice, and because there’s good reason to think the tale of Hagar was a late addition to the corpus of hero tales assembled under the Abraham archetype.
                          Waaaaay too early in the day to start indulging.

I put considerable thought into my posts.

So yes, I was displeased by the attempt to send them off to purgatory because Rick Warren has a bigger church than Cow Poke, and that makes Cow Poke sad. I can only suggest he take his petty jealousies, write them down, fold them into tight corners, and send them where that stick went.
                          An alternative reaction would be to grow up a bit.

Comment

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• So, again - the big blow-up, and the DEATH of the SBC was all going to be over this sexual abuse issue (what this thread was all about), but that fizzled big-time.

So, let's forget about the false prophet's premature pronouncement of the death of the SBC, and ... hey look!!!! It's RICK WARREN!!!!!

Comment

Unlike some here, I still have a full head of hair. Let it grow down longer than its been since the 80s until cutting it short a couple months back.
                                Less than perfect comes in all sizes.

One does not "raise" squirrels. You have to let them be free to do squirrely things in squirrely ways.
                                Like sitting in the middle of the road as I was heading back from Friendly’s just now. Some freedoms are best enjoyed by those who’ve lost their will to live. There’s a time to mourn. And time to send more observant spies.

Waaaaay too early in the day to start indulging.
                                Get thee behind me, Caffeithen!

An alternative reaction would be to grow up a bit.
                                No need to go that far. We love your childish memes.

Comment