Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Glorious People's Republic of Canuckistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Glorious People's Republic of Canuckistan

Source: Once a liberal democracy, Canada is now an authoritarian state

Two decades ago, when I was 4 years old, my parents immigrated to Canada from India in search of greater freedoms, autonomy and economic opportunities. They’re core Canadian values — enshrined in our national anthem, which gloriously heralds “The True North strong and free.”

However, the past two years have seen a near complete erosion of the foundational liberal values that have attracted millions of immigrants like myself to this country.

Under the once-righteous guise of COVID safety and online protections, the Canadian government has taken its power to extreme levels once only imaginable — let alone permissible — in a dissent-stifling authoritarian state.

The control has extended to nearly every element of Canadian society, but nowhere more so than in our everyday personal lives. Take my own case contending with Canada’s COVID bureaucracy a few months back.

I was returning to Canada from the US when multiple Air Canada employees refused to let me on the plane. Although I had a negative COVID test, the government was suddenly requiring even returning citizens to be vaccinated (unvaccinated foreigners were already barred from entering).

Since the most documented adverse effect associated with COVID vaccination — heart inflammation — isconcentrated in young men ages 15 – 25, I chose not to get vaccinated. I am 21 years old, have already recovered from COVID and have no co-morbidities. I’m at low risk from serious COVID illness, which is why I remain unvaccinated. But this can make air travel difficult — especially in Canada.

Minutes before my boarding gate was closed, a sympathetic Air Canada staffer “begged” his manager to let me board the plane. “I just gave you a massive favor. No one else would do this,” he said as I finally made my way down the jetway.

In the Canada of Justin Trudeau’s making, you must now go to extreme measures simply to be allowed to return to your own nation. And for what?

COVID is just the beginning of the Canadian madness. The internationally recognized trucker protests earlier this year were the most flagrant display of political control ever witnessed within the ranks of the Canadian government. After trying to dismiss the truckers as a “fringe minority” of “swastika wavers,” Trudeau manufactured a National Emergency in order to justify truly outrageous tactics. Not only did he suspend the insurance of the truckers’ vehicles, he regulated the cryptocurrency transfers and froze the bank accounts of folks simply donating to the trucker cause.

In my own small British Columbia town, Chilliwack (about an hour and a half from Vancouver), a single mother earning minimum wage who donated $50 to the Truckers Convoy allegedly had her bank account frozen.

But the crackdowns on truckers were just the tip of the iceberg.

I know a bank worker in my city who was fired for not getting vaccinated, despite working remotely. A food truck delivery driver in my city met the same fate. If any of this was about “science,” prior infection or regular COVID testing would have been a factor here, but they weren’t. Get the jab or get out.

Trudeau, who once professed to being cognitively unable to do basic math, has plunged the country into over $1 trillion in national debt for the first time in history. Everyday, that number surges by an additional $400 million. Canada is now at risk for stagflation: both economic stagnation and high inflation, as families are unable to meet their bills.

Meanwhile, the government has devoted $600,000 to paying “online influencers” to promote vaccines (as if the most vulnerable, geriatric populations are spending time on TikTok).

As if current measures aren’t authoritarian enough, Trudeau’s government has proposed the “online harms” bill C-36, designed to crack down on hate speech against ethnic and sexual minorities. If passed, the bill would allow citizens to report on others who they fear may post something hateful, leading to possible fines, online surveillance and electronic monitoring.

Unsurprisingly, the bill has sparked criticism — and not just from right-wing activists. Twitter has spoken out, claiming the bill could be used to silence political opposition; meanwhile, in a private letter to the Canadian government, the National Council of Canadian Muslims has warned that these measures could “inadvertently result in one of the most significant assaults on marginalized and racialized communities in years.” They believe requiring social media companies to report “terrorist content” on their platforms to law enforcement could disproportionally target Canadian Muslims.

More than 15 years after arriving in Canada to secure a more open and rewarding life, I must now consider the possibility that my civil rights might have been more secure back in India. Once a vibrant, liberal democracy, Canada is now becoming an authoritarian state.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Trudeau's stated level of admiration for China's dictatorship

There is a level of admiration I actually have for China because their basic dictatorship is allowing them to actually turn their economy around on a dime and say we need to go green, we need to start, you know, investing in solar

was just one red flag. His years of gushing praise for Cuba's communist dictator, Fidel Castro, was another.

Why didn't y'all listen?

Then again nobody here listened when the evidence was clear that old Joe isn't exactly at the top of his mental game (the dude could get lost and confused in a closet), but if nothing else we've seen the result of Trudeau's dream. An economy in shambles that will only get worse (and old Joe's solution is raise taxes and increase spending even more), and is not one bit "greener."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

eb4c9c45-f6ac-414f-bbb8-cdb3ea9215b0.jpg
    I swear that looks exactly like something out of an old Monty Python sketch

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Lots of us did listen. Especially the older folk, like us, who remembered what his father did to the West in the 70’s.

But he's young, and woke, and from Quebec, and that's the demographic that voted him in. And the election system in this country is broken. The provinces with the most population have more representation so the other provinces have no chance to even play catch-up up Election Day. Hence, Quebec and Ontario and BC usually rule.

But you all aren’t far behind south of the border.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        eb4c9c45-f6ac-414f-bbb8-cdb3ea9215b0.jpg
        I swear that looks exactly like something out of an old Monty Python sketch
        Don't worry. I expect liberals will come in unironically complaining (like they did During Obama's presidency) that comparing someone to Hitler is outrageous and beyond the pale.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
          Don't worry. I expect liberals will come in unironically complaining (like they did During Obama's presidency) that comparing someone to Hitler is outrageous and beyond the pale.
          You know, I really didn't want to post an image equating Turdeau with Hitler or Nazis for a goodwiny reasons.

Still, while not resulting in a literal LOL, although it did elicit a mirthful snort, and because it really did remind me of something from the early Monty Python days, I succumbed to temptation.

Comment

Scary stuff. But he didn't need to add this: "I know a bank worker in my city who was fired for not getting vaccinated, despite working remotely. A food truck delivery driver in my city met the same fate. If any of this was about “science,” prior infection or regular COVID testing would have been a factor here, but they weren’t. Get the jab or get out." He didn't elaborate, but it didn't sound like those were connected to the Canadian government. I knew people in Missouri who were fired, a red state, for not getting vaccinated. It was the policy of the health-field employer and not the government.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
              Scary stuff. But he didn't need to add this: "I know a bank worker in my city who was fired for not getting vaccinated, despite working remotely. A food truck delivery driver in my city met the same fate. If any of this was about “science,” prior infection or regular COVID testing would have been a factor here, but they weren’t. Get the jab or get out." He didn't elaborate, but it didn't sound like those were connected to the Canadian government. I knew people in Missouri who were fired, a red state, for not getting vaccinated. It was the policy of the health-field employer and not the government.
              All of this kind of stuff was prompted by the federal government. The provincial and municipal governments took their cue from the feds and every firing or layoff was due to the feds urging cities to take this kind of measure.

Medical people have lost their jobs by the umpteens in this country because they refused to get vaccinated. Which is the worst irony of the whole thing. They needed all the medical staff they could get their hands on and they allowed hospitals and other health agencies to allow the firing or laying off of a lot of workers.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment