Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Great Replacement Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

A friend of mine owned a house in Chalfont St Peter, England. It was so old that it was included in the Domesday Book. I stayed with him for a week. It was creepy.
    Indeed some houses date back a long way. Why was it "creepy"? Or was it just the fact that it was old and so many had lived and died in it?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Indeed some houses date back a long way. Why was it "creepy"? Or was it just the fact that it was old and so many had lived and died in it?
      "Creepy" for the reasons you stated. Being a native Californian, any building more than about 150 years old is considered ancient.

This particular house was at least 900 years old, possibly more than a thousand. That's creepy.

Comment

"Creepy" for the reasons you stated. Being a native Californian, any building more than about 150 years old is considered ancient.
        I like that.

This particular house was at least 900 years old, possibly more than a thousand. That's creepy.
        Where was it? I assume it had been "developed" over the intervening centuries.

I find old buildings rather comforting in that regard [the often unknown people who lived and died in them] it puts everything into perspective. However, given our baggage of ghost stories and movies we can all let our imaginations run riot in such situations, especially given the fact that old buildings often shift and creak. I stayed in one hotel [and this was a mere stripling being only 16th century] where the floor of the room actually had a slight incline - because of the age of the building.

"It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I cannot be bothered to deal with someone who is incapable of engaging in an exchange without resorting to personal name calling. It shows the puerile nature of your thinking.

So feel free to brag that you have won.
          The utter irony from someone who regularly engages in personal name calling and insults.

(Also, I didn't call you any names in that post, I provided a single accurate descriptor based on your posts here)

Comment

I like that.

Where was it? I assume it had been "developed" over the intervening centuries.
            It's called "Mopes Farmhouse" and is registered as an historical landmark now (I don't believe it was when I stayed there). The exterior has definitely been re-worked, and looks more like the Tudor period. The interior had obvious older and newer sections (the kitchen appeared to be newer, the bedrooms were definitely old).

It was owned by actor Lewis Collins, and I was there visiting his father who lived in the older section. They had been feuding so they had a partition built between their two sections of the house. Weird family.

I find old buildings rather comforting in that regard [the often unknown people who lived and died in them] it puts everything into perspective. However, given our baggage of ghost stories and movies we can all let our imaginations run riot in such situations, especially given the fact that old buildings often shift and creak. I stayed in one hotel [and this was a mere stripling being only 16th century] where the floor of the room actually had a slight incline - because of the age of the building.
            I'm the opposite. Old buildings have a lot of unknown history that I find unsettling. Just up the street from me is a house no more than 30 years old. One of its occupants shot himself in the head there in the living room, and reportedly left his brains all over the walls. I know about that because I live in the neighborhood. Would someone 100 years from now know about that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

The utter irony from someone who regularly engages in personal name calling and insults.

(Also, I didn't call you any names in that post, I provided a single accurate descriptor based on your posts here)
              That was my first thought, but I think she will have you wrong on the most technical of technicalities: much along the lines of "if wasn't me that killed him, it was the bullet."
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Right and those other ideas are not about race.
                If they didn't want those other ideas to be confused with the racist ones, they probably would have used a different name for them.

Really Stoic, that is nonsense. The ideas of CRT are being taught in schools. We have offered plenty of evidence.
                Perhaps, but a lot of what Republicans claim is CRT is not part of CRT. And I think the confusion is intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                  If they didn't want those other ideas to be confused with the racist ones, they probably would have used a different name for them.

"If those Indians didn't want their swastikas to be confused with the Nazi ones, they probably should have used a different shape for them"

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

That was my first thought, but I think she will have you wrong on the most technical of technicalities: much along the lines of "if wasn't me that killed him, it was the bullet."
                    I do not use playground terms like "twit" or "cockwomble", nor do I accuse my interlocutors of being "so damned stupid" or refer to them as a "lonely old bitty" "hausfrau" or indeed a "cancer".

I leave that to the kidults here i.e. grown men with the mindsets of ten year olds.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It's called "Mopes Farmhouse" and is registered as an historical landmark now (I don't believe it was when I stayed there). The exterior has definitely been re-worked, and looks more like the Tudor period. The interior had obvious older and newer sections (the kitchen appeared to be newer, the bedrooms were definitely old).

It was owned by actor Lewis Collins, and I was there visiting his father who lived in the older section. They had been feuding so they had a partition built between their two sections of the house. Weird family.

I'm the opposite. Old buildings have a lot of unknown history that I find unsettling. Just up the street from me is a house no more than 30 years old. One of its occupants shot himself in the head there in the living room, and reportedly left his brains all over the walls. I know about that because I live in the neighborhood. Would someone 100 years from now know about that?
                      That is an interesting anecdote - I suppose it is a truism that you can choose your friends but not your family. As to the recent suicide I admit that is a horrible thing to have happened. However, would it matter one hundred years from now?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I do not use playground terms like "twit" or "cockwomble", nor do I accuse my interlocutors of being "so damned stupid" or refer to them as a "lonely old bitty" "hausfrau" or indeed a "cancer".

I leave that to the kidults here i.e. grown men with the mindsets of ten year olds.
                        You know how to avoid being nailed for issuing direct insults, certainly.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

You know how to avoid being nailed for issuing direct insults, certainly.
                          I sometimes wonder if resorting to abuse online is because anonymity gives the individual freedom to write things that for many, were they in a face-to-face situation, they would probably not consider saying.

Or perhaps being abusive to anonymous correspondents online is form of catharsis which permits the individual to vent pent up frustrations on someone they do not know because of events in their real lives that have caused them stress or anger.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

No, instead you use insults to intelligence like "you must be rather dull", or call people "cowardly" when they refuse to engage in your nonsense, declaring that people have "unhinged animus", declaring that people are greedy and obsessed with money in a thread you started about taxing and spending other people's money, or telling someone their "ignorance is quite stunning" because they asked you a question you didn't want to answer,etc., and then you go into convoluted nonsense to try to pretend it wasn't an insult when people point out posts you make like this: "As you have [as usual] resorted to personal remarks, it is quite clear that you've lost the argument." and expose your inability to hold yourself to your own standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                              "If those Indians didn't want their swastikas to be confused with the Nazi ones, they probably should have used a different shape for them"
                              The Indians were using it long before it was appropriated by the Nazis.

You aren't trying to make the same point about the Great Replacement Theory, are you? Because that would be wrong.

Comment

My original remark referenced the Declaration of Independence and the founding of the USA. That event was a mere 246 years ago [and will officially be so in July].
                                My original remark was that

One that goes back well before the U.S. was founded and even before the first colony was even founded.

So yes, I was correcting you when you mentioned 246 years.

And technically, while we declared independence in 1776 and were "free and independent states" the country itself was formed the next year with the passage of the Articles of Confederation which were themselves replaced in 1789 with the Constitution. I figured with your love of pedantry that you would appreciate the exactitude

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment